Sign in to follow this  
marik

What Has Halloween Become? A Day For Sluts?

I don't think it's objectification to look at girl that wears revealing clothes.  It's out there to see, so people look, that's just how it works.  When one sees something physically attracive, they look, there's not much more to it.  I'm quite sure the girls that wear revleaing clothes are first off well aware of the attention that attire would draw, and knowing that, they apparently do not object to that attention if they dress in that way.  That is I'm reasonably sure their attitude isn't "I'm gonna show as much as I can and hope nobody will look or see when I go out in public."

That's more or less my opinion of this whole situation.

Although I do have sympathy for Toadman. It's gotta be preeetty uncomfortable to teach a 14-year old girl when her thong's hanging out.

Edited by Born to Kill

There was a girl in my school dressed like a car-accident victim. Didn't look very sexy to me..

Hobo, you're so off on this one my man, you've gone all socially conformed on me and all... what happened to the hobo who didn't just go with how the flow of society?

Certainly, society encourages this b.s. sexuality nonsense that leads to the objectification of women. We tolerate it, because it is a social norm... men look at women as objects because we perceive soceity acting in this manner and therefore we act like this (the roots come from historical times where in fact men were seen as above women, and that women were only subject to sex, cooking, etc.):

for example.... take a look at common terminology today..."man, she's hot...", "look at those tits", etc.

When was the last time you talked/looked at a gal and just said... wow, there's an intelligent, righteous, etc. gal who doesn't care/need to show herself off to today's perverse society in order to feel sexy/popular/loved.

Yet, we don't do this.... and women encourage this inference by promoting themselves as objects.

That's my final word on the subject... talk to me on AIM one of these days maybe and we can discuss this without this b.s. slow post crap.... hehe.

But what you said doesn't disprove any of what I posted. Yes, I look at women that are dressed in a revealing manner, just as I look at ones who dress more modestly; not because I view them as objects or anything even remotely close to that. If they are there to look at, then I look. There are plenty of girls that I know and have a tremendous amount of respect for, because they're intelligent, have great personality and so forth, but if they look attractive, then I look at them as such... and I know that some of these girls feel pretty much exactly the same way about me, and I don't mind. Whether you're male or female, heterosexual or homosexual or bi, it doesn't really matter, when you see someone attractive, you recognize them as such, it's not really a society standard type thing, it's probably more primal, more like instinct.

The flaw with this entire discussion is that the expressed moral outrage is based on a system of values that is precisely as artifical as the percieved corruption and objectification you're protesting. In a society any less concerned with equality as ours is, this wouldn't even be an issue...it's only a problem because people make it a problem. Choose not to be offended and the problem goes away. People will do what they want whether you like it or not, and chances are nobody really cares what total strangers they'll never meet again think of them anyway.

I could choose to be offended by skimpy clothing, public display of affection, drug use, swearing, smoking, poodles, cars built before 1995, Mcdonalds commercials, anything with a 'WWJD' sticker on it, Megadeth shirts, Count Chocula, those little gerbil tube structures, and any number of other superficial chunks of human debris. But I don't....not only because it's all just relative to society, but also because it's irrelevant. What I think changes nothing, and in the end it doesn't affect me either...hostility and anger are the only products of such outrage. The system, it's quirks, and your resulting fury are all products of the same complex of cause and effect we're all stuck in. Seems easier just to ignore the bits you don't like.

Unless of course arguing about it over the internet is fun...in which case, go for it.

could you just as easily forget about it and ignore it if your wife was the one dressing that way when she went out to the bar with her girl friends?

Don't have a wife, can't answer that. Though it seems to me like another issue. That's more than a concern about looks...it's also a concern about the intentions which drive the decision to dress that way. When it's a stranger, their intentions are irrelevant.

that was my point. what if the women you respected decided to dress this way? would you lose respect? how would you handle this?

Couple people mentionned how would you feel if your wife/gf dressed up that way. For me, my gf did dress rather sexily for Halloween, along with my 2 best girl friends. I enjoyed it, they enjoyed, I'm sure some strangers enjoyed it. Dressig sluttily does not make you a slut, and because I know my girlfriend and friends arn't sluts, I trust them. Outside of a couple guys at the bar hitting on them (which normally just results in a funny story), there are no real adverse affects. Its all just a good laugh if you are mature enough to handle it.

On that note, you should be of a mature age before dressing like that, ie: finished HS imo.

Edited by MSteve

I would definitely lose respect for people I know if I saw them dressing 'sluttily'. It's just pointless. I see no reason to do it.

what if the women you respected decided to dress this way? would you lose respect? how would you handle this?

Too subjective to respond with any accuracy...it'd depend on the person and the situation.