Crusader

US Elections 2004

Who's going to win this November?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to win this November?

• George W. Bush
    • John F. Kerry

I think that Kerry will have the whole electoral college thing going for him. I found a really good write-up on the whole thing that might be interesting. It's quite long, so I won't post it here, but link to it instead. The total projection is Kerry with 311, and Bush with 227. But, there's also the possibility that Kerry will win the Electoral College, but not the popular vote, which would truly be a shame. Anyhoo, here it is.

I think Bush will win. It's not very likely that the Americans will switch Presidents in the middle of a war, and now with the Osama appearance, I think people will be scared into voting for Bush.

Actually, his ratings have dropped a bit since that tape came out. Apparently people see it more as a failure to catch him, rather than an incentive to spark their fear and vote for Bush. Combine that with Kerry's pointed criticisms of how OBL escaped at Tora Bora (despite what Tommy Franks says, there was significant intel that proved he was there).

I DO really think (hope I am not wrong) this time Bush is gonna lose... too many things against him, too much social movement against him, too many young people (statistics show that among the new youngsters 2 for Kerry, 1 for Bush) registring for vote...

all this gives me a lil hint to be able to say that Bush is gonna lose

again, i hope I am right and the statistics too

the american people will somehow be doofed enough to keep voting for Bush. There's a girl on my res floor here at U of T who is still voting for Bush because she genuinely believes that her life is in danger.

um.. in saying she is voting for bush doesn't that put her life in more danger??? lol good thing shes in canada otherwise people might do something about here preferences

I simply refuse to allow myself to consider the possibility that this country will be in the muppet hands of GWB for 4 more years.

I do wish that I had TV tomorrow though, I'll just have to keep refreshing my internet page to keep up.

American's are apparently considering this to be the most important election of their lifetime. I saw footage that a record number of people where out for the early vote. Let's just hope that it's because they want bush out.

Peace

I'm actually taking a class this semester about campaigns and elections in the US and we were discussing the election last night. The class was pretty much evenly divided, but my group agreed that Kerry could pull off a victory, though whoever loses will no doubt legally challenge the results. I doubt we'll know for sure tonight. Man, I hope it's Kerry in the end. That or I'm moving to Canada.

Im hoping and thinking Kerry will win. But I'm sure that a legal challenge will follow. Apparently "thousands of lawyers" have been readied on both sides to prepare for a challenge.

Late Monday night a pair of judges declared that representitves from the republican party may not be at the polling stations to challenge the legitamicy of 23,000 voters in Ohio. This after they tried to do the same thing pre-election with 35,000 in Ohio. "Racial profiling" has been tossed around as the reason why they were denied.

I'm sure this isn't the last we'll hear about this.

Not really, the electoral vote determines who actually wins, which is supposed to be determined by the popular vote. For example, I'll use my state, Oregon. We have a relatively small population, so the number of votes we have in the electoral college is likewise small (7 of a total of 270). California, by contrast has a very large population, and as a result around 50 electoral votes. These votes are done by electors who are of whichever political party wins in the state. So supposing that Kerry wins the popular vote in Oregon, then 7 electors from the Oregon electoral college will get their chance to vote. If Bush wins Oregon, then 7 Republican electors will cast their votes. They are not however obligated to vote in any way at all, it's just most likely they'll vote for the candidate of their respective parties. But if a Democrat elector wanted to vote Bush, he has that right.

edit: forgot to note that there are actually 500+ votes in the electoral college, and that 270 is merely the number required to get a majority and thereby win.

Edited by HoboFactory

I feel weird now to read my post here some days ago...

I really thought Kerry was gonna win... I suppose i trusted too much some americans' intelligence who wanned a change, who wanned not to have a war president, who wanned to think more on human rights and humanity than in money and economical profit...

i was really convinced of Kerry winning the elections... and now I must admit that i was completely wrong: it's not only that Kerry hasn't won the elections but that Bush has gotten even more support than 4 years ago: more americans have trusted Bush in these 2004 elections... unbelievable but true and these are the results

I wish i wasn't wrong (hadn't been so wrong)... but I was and I must admit it now