Sign in to follow this  
ToadMan

Pedantic

I have noticed that when people become pissed off about something they tend to resort to being pedantic about spelling, grammar, and format in an attack against the person that pissed them off.

Although I agree when there is a flagrant misuse of a word, or a spelling the is uninterpretable, the question of what was meant must be raised. However for the most part the rules of spelling and grammar are far more relaxed on the board than in an english essay. We don't need to discuss that here, there is an existing thread that deals with the writing style on the board.

http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/index....20spelling&st=0

What this thread is about is weather or not it's right for us to be pedantic about these things on the board? and should we use them as attacks?

I personally believe that it is low to attack somebody's writing style because you disagree with there opinion, but lack the argument to refute it.

Peace

I think people should make the effort to spell properly, since this is a message board and all. There's generally no rush to post. In any case, yeah, it's stupid to insult someone's spelling in an argument. It's just avoiding the issue, and people tend to use it if they can't think of a come-back.

For the most part I'm absolutely terrible at spelling and grammer in general. I also tend to do a lot of typos that i will miss when i read over a post, and i am not about to run it through a spell checker. If someone wants to insult my spelling and grammer in a post they can feel free to.

However, it is a little like laughing at me bacause i have hair as its something that i so obviously posses it is worthless to point out and simply shows the lack of creativity the insulter has. If the worst thing someone has to say to you is that you wrote "teh" rather than "the" i would say you have one the argument.

There are certain points where if the meaning of the post is lost in a sea of poor grammer and errors that, yes, one would have to make some sort of comment. But i would say that using this sort of thing as an attack is not appropriate in that it is immature and predominately pointless.

if i'm trying to make a serious point or you can't tell what i was trying to say, i will change it. but usually i don't bother.

What this thread is about is weather or not it's right for us to be pedantic about these things on the board? and should we use them as attacks?

Goodness. Toadman it seems you did not choose the proper word. I think I am going to target you ... blah blah blah your a moron blah blah blah.

Just kidding man ;)

Thank you for being the NF Good Samaritan :angry: You are my hero.

Oh my, I almost never make that mistake... I'm embarrassed.

Peace

NO BIG DEAL... right?

What was the whole purpose of this thread? I was just trying to back it up with sarcasm.

Indeed... but I am self conscious of my spelling and grammar. I have always had terrible spelling... and my grammar sucks. The only reason I rarely make an error on NF is thanks to OS X "Any text field" Spell Checking.

Peace

It seems that you have quite the vocabulary though. Me have nothing to brag english bout either.