lcpja

Upside Down Flag

I went to look at matt's post today on his blog...and i noticed that to the right there was a picture of the american flag upside down. Now i've never had a problem with his opinions at all whether i agreed with them or not, but i do find this picture a lttle bit mean. Yes i think voting Bush was a costly error and that this action will cause more death and destruction. I'm assuming that this is a sign of disrespect...but...should we burn the flag too?...i don't know...maybe i'm going to far with this...what does everyone else think...what do you american NF's think about it?

Correct me if Im wrong but my understanding that if a flag is raised intentionally upsided down its a distress call of sorts. So by posting this Matt prehaps is indicating that he belives that things are going to get progresivaly worse under Shruby in the next 4 years.

Indeed. An upside down flag is something of a universal SOS call, though it has been used as an insult at times. Perhaps even to the point that raising your flag upside down in an emergency would bring angry patriots instead of assistance...

Someone gave me an American flag sticker right after Sept 11th and no one would "let" me throw it away, so i stuck it to my desk at home upside down. It's still there today. Like they said, it's a distress signal of sorts, not really anything disrespectful.

remember when the Philedelphia Phillies flew the Canadian flag upside down during the 1993 World Series back vs the Blue Jays? Canadians were kinda ticked, but that was because it was an unintentional error that was a bit disrespectful and embarrasing for us Canadians.

This flag thing with Matt Good was obviously intentional, so it changes the meaning of it. But despite what the upside-down flag means, if i was MG i wouldn't screw around with another countries flag, even to make some political point. Some americans will definately see it as a sign of disrespect.

Lol americans get offeneded by anything and everything. This other forum I used to post on in my sig I had in big red and white CANADA KICKS ASS!!! and after every post invetably there would be anti canadian comments or comments like "he doesnt know shit he's canadian"

On that note, I saw the results of some survey (not that I put too much stock in them) where some large percentage of Americans were offended by Canada Day because they though that we were not proud to be Canadian, but proud to be 'not American'. Kinda...egotistical if true...

Well its kinda true, while I'm very proud to be Canadian I'm finding more and more that I'm just as proud not to be an American.

Lol remember the main reason Alberta and Saskatchewan were incorperated as provinces was to keep the Americans from annexing the territory.

With the centinal next year I've proposed that our slogan be "100 years of pissing on american ambitions" but somehow I dont think most ppl would view that as being politically correct

Despite the fact that Matt's not afraid to "ruffle some feathers", I'd guess that it's still representing distress. Matt's not a full blown American-hater, it's probably along the lines of what someone said before, about how it symbolizes the further "distress" that country's gonna be put through now that Bush (aka Shruby... lol) is back in action for another four...

(shudders...)

Correct me if Im wrong but my understanding that if a flag is raised intentionally upsided down its a distress call of sorts. So by posting this Matt prehaps is indicating that he belives that things are going to get progresivaly worse under Shruby in the next 4 years.

yeah that's right, he's not being an ass by any means, just making an educated statement

It's not that offensive. System of A Down put it on Both the self titled CD and Toxicity.

And americans will send him angry emails anyway.

that's because that's the record label's logo. rick rubin's american recordings

(i hit report instead of quote..)

I think the upside down flag is about a little more than distress... it seems to me it's closer to a metaphor, that the principles and values that the country was founded on have been completely ignored these last four years, that American values have become distored and inverted, hence it only makes sense that the representation of the country should be inverted as well. Sure he's distressed about it, but there's far more intent and thought provocation in inverting the flag than mere panic.

Just a thought

Ha. Shruby. Classic.