C-Bacon

"last Show For A While. Maybe Even A Few Years"

This was posted on his blog and later taken down:

"Too busy today to do anything but relay some of the stories I've read. I get home tomorrow and will have more time to focus on events. That and probably an entry about what the future holds for me professionally."..."

Someone on the Metro said that tonight at the Kingston show he said: "last show for a while. Maybe even a few years".

I always thought something like this was inevitable. I'm very worried.

He once said in an interview that he would one day like to take time off and do some humanitarian work in a third world country for a few years. I wasn't thinking (and certainly not hoping) that it would be this soon ;)

Stay in Canada and keep rocking Matt!

But good luck to him if he decides otherwise.

Guys, don't worry too much. If Matt wants to take a few years off, he's quite entitled to. Besides, it's not as if he's quitting music for good. Everyone needs a break sometimes, or perhaps he feels it's time to do some humanitarian work (as someone had said), and that's admirable.

Either way, he'll be back. A break could do him some good.

why couldn't you?

because he canceled the bloody show.

I never meant that he wasn't entitled to time off. All I know is that once you stop doing something it's hard a hell to start back up again, and the idea of living the rest of my life without any new MG music doesn't make me happy.

Edited by S.E. Hardy

I never meant that he wasn't entitled to time off.

Don't worry, I know. It was kind of a general statement on my part.

All I know is that once you stop doing something it's hard a hell to start back up again, and the idea of living the rest of my life without any new MG music doesn't make me happy.

When you're passionate about something, such as music, it's not as hard to start back up. Besides, we're only talking about a few years. Matt doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who could just stop making music. I'm sure it will only be temporary.

I guess my point to everyone here is that nothing is 100% certain. He may even decide not to take a few years off. Let's just see how this plays out. There's no need to be upset just yet.

The point is he has poured his guts out in the new album and everyday in his blog. With Bush being relected, he's probably mentally drained.

So, the point is: when he decides to come back and write music in a year or two (if that's the case), he'll probably be full of so much introspective music, that his next album will probably be ridiculously good and his 'white album' so to speak. I dunno, just a prediction...

p.s. I'm listening to apparations acoustic as I write this. Kinda emotional...

Here's how I see this, I guess: a tour just ended, so nothing was to be expected for a decent amount of time anyway. There are things that could be released already (as was mentioned right before my post), so perhaps an EP might be in the works. The full-length hasn't been around all that long yet, so we'd be waiting quite a while for a new one of those as well...we were set up for a sizeable wait either way, so if it's a little bit longer, well, then just pretend it's taking a while to produce the new music, if that's what you need to do. We were in for a wait already, so an announcement that we're going to have to wait shouldn't really be a big deal.

jesus, the man just put out 2 LPs in 15 months. so spoiled.

It's not uncommon for bands to take between 2-4 years in between records and in my opinion, the longer the break, the better the result in most cases.

and I'm sure because he has one new song kicking around that this means he has to write a full album's worth and release it in the next year.

I was at the show last night in kingston. I can confirm that he said it was going to be his last show for a long time. In regards to the show, it was another awesome performance. Pretty much did the same set that i saw in montreal with the exception of everything is automatic. He also didn't do can't get shot in the back. Mobile opened the show for him....pretty decent sound but their sound and lyrics especially come across as highschoolish in comparison to matt....def have potential to be a great band though....

I was little disspointed with rich and the other guitarist. I found they were pretty emotionless and were simply "going through the motions". This, of course, is not a big issue for matt, i think, has a tremendous stage precense. I also think the drummer is just incredible...does anyone know how long he has been with matt? Also, what do these guys do when matt is on sabtical? Do they go along with him??hahaha....any answer comments would be appreciated. Cheers.

This is very sad news... But give the guy a break!! As someone else pointed out, he's made two full albums in 15 months, and has toured the country three times between June and now!! We've been completely spoiled!! Not to mention he's practically a newlywed and would probably like to spend some quality time with his wife. *grrrr* that's me being jealous...