Crusader

alert status red

ya it's really sad actually. Everyone said the reason fro his actions was because he was bullied (and he supposedly said that he wished he could do what columbine did) but i don't know if that necessarily all true. After the incident the kid (gr.9) entered a mental institution, but is out due to medical reasons. I think he had a stroke. I hope he gets better soon and leads a happy life out of prison. I don't think he belongs in there.

In Spain we do not have those dramatic cases either... I suppose it is some sorta the "gun culture" which is installed in the American society (something that M. Moore tried to denounce in Bowling for Columbine and that I think Matt tries to denounce in the Alert status red video)

Canada tried to get a more strict gun ownership, but the liberals wasted millions...wait billions of money on "GUN REGISTERY"

What a waste... the money would have been better off going to health of education. Just because America has some problems with guns does not mean that Canada is going to become any safer if we register our guns... most criminals will steal their weapons or wont register anyways... i mean WTF!?

gun registery has always been an obligation in Spain... actually, there is a law which prohibits to carry weapons not even for self-defence reasons... the law says that in case of danger, the police forces will take care of the situation but that no citizen is legitimated to carry a weapon...

that's probably the reason why guns (or any kinda weapons) are not so much installed within the Spanish society and why we don't have so many problems with serial killers as the US has

i think this is exactly what Alert status red is denouncing...

Just because America has some problems with guns does not mean that Canada is going to become any safer if we register our guns... most criminals will steal their weapons or wont register anyways

This is definately true.

And to add, i'm glad that i live in Canada...even though i was a victim in a school shooting, i still feel safer here.

I think that America has a tendency twords knee-jerk reactions, in most ways.

I live in Los Angeles, and I don't feel like I'm in danger. Very rarely do I feel uncomfortable about where I am or the people around me.

wouldn't you say that the USA (excuse me, not America ;): America is the whole continent) lives on this gun/weapon culture? are not Americans kinda "obsessed" with this self-defence idea and for that reason guns/weapons are so free to get?

One course at the university is American History and Culture and this is one of the characteristics which is expressed in all American Culture books I have read...

"That's the rub"

and you have put your finger on the magic spot... the point where you realize that the problems in the USA are caused by guns, but the USA doesn't think guns are the problem. <<enter scapegoat>> you name it, we've heard it: the violence in movies, the computer games... It's not the fact that people in the USA are so obsessed with their self protection that they own guns... and for that matter are prepared to use them if they feel threatened (note feel... no threat has to exist), no, that is not the reason, it is violence in movies.

The USA has repeatedly show that they as a people, and a country will respond with deadly force to the inference of a threat.

proof: The man that was shoot at a costume party because he was dressed as a cowboy, complete with toy gun. The police where called to the scene on a noise disturbance, and the guy thought they where party guests, waved the toy gun in the air, and was shoot 6 times by the attending officers. (I'm not sure if I got the details of this correct, but the general story is correct)

As Mr Moore states in Bowling for Columbine, the day the columbine tragedy happened, the USA dropped more bombs on kosivo then at any other time during that confrontation, but that didn't make the papers did it? (I'm not sure if it was kosivo... I find it hard to keep track of everybody the USA drops bombs on)

I would now like to apologize for how off topic I am... this about Alert Status Red. Unfortunately, I like perl, have loose type checking ;)

In reference to ASR though, other than the clips from columbine, what else in the video suggests columbine. Or are we drawing columbine, because at the highest level of abstraction, the song is about the overriding social issues in North American (USA). It would then follow that columbine is a true example of these overriding social issues.

We could also take the lead that ASR is a result of the social issues, that are directly descendent from those that cause columbine (it is a circle). i.e. that the US attitude that caused columbine also caused the anti-american attitude present in a large number of groups around the world, this in turn causes threat to the US, and therefor ASR.

Well... that's about all the pseudo intellectual drivel for now,

Peace

The best example would be Irak's invasion: after 9/11 the USA "felt" threatened by international terrorism and the only solution to fight against it was first to invade Afghanistan (using their army, that is, weapons) and secondly they used this threat as an excuse to invade Irak (again, with their army, again, weapons)...

I may be wrong (I'm not an American citizen, I am a European living in Europe and I dont live in the USA) but i get the impression that Americans (if the USA is not America, why is the adjective "American"!? ;) but that's another topic...) can only solve their problems using weapons... from my European experience, we always try to solve problems in Europe first thru diplomacy and use guns and weapons as the last resort (i dont quite agree on usin weapons in any circumstance, but oh well...)

There might be something true on that since many American (and non-american) bands/singers have used this topic in their songs: Madonna talked about that in one of he songs (if i remember well, she was banned because of that and had to change her videoclip), Matthew Good uses this topic all the time, many Spanish bands talk about this too... other artists, not related to music, have written/filmed about that too (M. Moore in his Bowling for Columbine expressed this point very well, even contrasting this feeling with what Canadians feel being neighboring countries...)

And coming back to the topic of the post (again, AND I'M SORRY :angry: because I'm being off topic...), ASR expresses this and let's not forget Matt's "Weapon" and the images of his video...