From http://www.matthewgood.org/web/mblog/index.php:

November 18, 2004

Just Pretend We Don’t Exist

Subject: Re: Your visit to Canada

Date: November 18, 2004 10:32:43 AM PST

To: [email protected]

Reply-to: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Bush,

As a citizen of the nation that shares the longest border with the United States, I wanted to write you this quick e-mail in a futile attempt to persuade you to reconsider visiting Canada later this month. My reasons, five in total, are as follows…

1) We have decided to go with giant sling shots armed with massive paper wads rather than participate in missile defense because it's environmentally friendlier. (By GOP standards even our conservatives are liberals).

2) Being that I, along with millions of other Canadians, pay for the upkeep of government buildings by way of taxes, I’m not keen on a war criminal scuffing up our recently waxed floors.

3) If there is a Canadian assassination attempt, I don’t want any innocent Canadians to get covered in any excess whipping cream when the assassin throws the pie at you.

4) The people of Ottawa hate it when half of their city is closed down so people like you can go jogging. But by all means, mountain bike to your hearts content.

5) Despite the smiles and handshakes that you will receive from our Prime Minister, various Members Of Parliament, and a variety of others who hold irrelevant posts (such as that of Governor General); please realize that the majority of Canadians consider you to be quite an exceptional ass.

Sincerely,

Matthew Good

5) Despite the smiles and handshakes that you will receive from our Prime Minister, various Members Of Parliament, and a variety of others who hold irrelevant posts (such as that of Governor General); please realize that the majority of Canadians consider you to be quite an exceptional ass.

Sincerely,

Matthew Good

This is brilliant and hilarious.

Dear Mr. Good,

As a citizen of this messageboard that has been part of the community since internet was invented, I wanted to write you this quick message in a futile attempt to persuade you to reconsider returning to this messageboard anytime in the future. My reasons, five in total, are as follows…

1) You are nothing but a spoiled brat who doesn't realise people don't want to read your whinny posts about how the music industry has treated you unfairly while you live your posh lifestyle in a big house in rural Vancouver.

2) Being that I once paid $35 to hear you whine about war when you should have been playing songs, which as of late have sucked.

3) I came here to avoid the plotting of schemes to drive you away. Although they have been mostly successful, take up a great deal of my time which could be put to better use leading the rock revolution; something you have done nothing for.

4) White Light Rock & Rollwas a waste of $15. I want my money back you chump.

5) Despite the smiles and handshakes that you will receive from the public who generally kiss your ass at every turn, various members of the community of Matthew Good messageboards, and a variety of others who make irrelevant posts on boards that aren't ; please realize that the majority of Canadians consider you to be quite an exceptional ass.

Sincerely,

Scot McCormack

Dear Mr. Good,

2)you should have been playing songs, which as of late have sucked.

Sincerely,

Scot McCormack

Doesnt sound like he appreciates the music too much does it?

clear, straightforward and incisive ;) i like it the way he expresses his convintions and ideas... I share his points of view 100% and i'm also fighting - in Spain, with my social commitment and movement - against all these injustices in the world

I realised my comments would get this kind of reaction, and I'm glad they did because it will allow me the opportunity to explain my actions.

It's no big secret that I don't like the direction Matt has taken with his music. I do infact miss the Matthew Good Band, but realise the path it needed to go take to stay as a whole was ruined mostly by Matt's ego. I feel it's just as much my prerogative to speak against what I see to be badly written music mixed with nonsense political jargon as it is his to write it.

If I had wanted to listen to/attend concerts where I was paying to hear about the war in Iraq I'd go see U2. That or I'd watch CNN. I have no interest in doing either.

I don't expect you to understand, but I do expect you to respect my opinion as I respect yours.

Edit: I hardly ever comment in the MG forum.

Edited by panic button

I don't agree with Scott AT ALL... but everybody is free to express his own opinions and points of views... i've always found that freedom and I hope that freedom keeps being one of the main things (apart from, of course, my love for MG) which characterize NearFantastica...

In some aspects I agree with Scott 100%, and in others I agree with juanpe 100%.

In terms of Matt becoming more political, thats fine, he's just expressing his views and opinions. Heck, the fact he's daring to take a chance, knowing he's going to lose many fans (especially in the US) over the political views, just so he can speak his opinions, while doing it through awesome songs is a very smart idea. If you're a celebrity and you want people to pay attention, do it through your art. Matt does it through music. Now, if he turns into some country singer.. that's different. That's just changing his MUSIC rather than what he's singing. I'm sure that the majority here would be devastasted to see Matt record something Tim McGraw-esque. I personally think he's losing his skills in terms of his artful writing. I hate to say it, but I feel WLRRR was a very poorly written album; sure it sounds greta and is fun to rock to.. but what happened to the deeper meaning lyrics?? If he chooses to speak of the war, I'll still listen to it, but he should seriously consider going back to making things more metaphorical so that it doesnt just focus on the war, but can be related to other aspects of life. As for Scott, I agree with the CNN and U2 part completely. Everywhere you turn, there are celebrities who have decided to become political. I question the motives of many artists. Dont get me wrong, I dont think Matt has any hidden agendas in terms of his preaching -- clearly he is passionate about it and studies hard, but why keep focusing on what EVERYONE else is talking about. No offense to him, but if I did in fact want news on the war, I could go to CNN or some other credible news source. It gets very tiresome to hear about G. Bush every 5 min. Dont get me wrong, I agree it's imperative that we be informed, but if everywhere you go you hear about the US and the war and what a moron G. Bush is.. you will get turned off by it. It's no surprize that only 10% of the youth bracket voted in the last American election.

Bah, I dont even know if this post makes sense, but I miss MGB ;)

It's no surprize that only 10% of the youth bracket voted in the last American election.

I heard that even though only 10% of the voters in the last election voters were youth... there was an increase in youth voters. What happened was that many youth came out but so did many other people thus reducing the percentages...

Heck, the fact he's daring to take a chance, knowing he's going to lose many fans (especially in the US) over the political views, just so he can speak his opinions, while doing it through awesome songs is a very smart idea.

Matt putting himself on the line with his (non-existant?) US fan base to voice opinions doesn't automatically make it "a very smart idea".

Maybe "daring" .. at best.

Edited by frustrated inc.

I personally think he's losing his skills in terms of his artful writing. I hate to say it, but I feel WLRRR was a very poorly written album; sure it sounds greta and is fun to rock to.. but what happened to the deeper meaning lyrics??

My point exactly. If I ever started slipping in the lyrical department I'd take a break until I got it back. Clearly he has it in him to write good music, but a song like North American for Life has neither thought nor originality.

George is teaching the kids to fight...

That line bothers me the most. In my opinion it's way too trite for a respectable musician.

Edited by panic button

It's no surprize that only 10% of the youth bracket voted in the last American election.

I heard that even though only 10% of the voters in the last election voters were youth... there was an increase in youth voters. What happened was that many youth came out but so did many other people thus reducing the percentages...

Oh, I thought it meant only 10% of the 18-25yr olds bracket voted.. and not that 10% of everyone who voted was in that age range.

Oh and sorry Scot, I'm just used to see the double T.

Edited by NationofCool

Dear Mr. Good,

As a citizen of this messageboard that has been part of the community since internet was invented, I wanted to write you this quick message in a futile attempt to persuade you to reconsider returning to this messageboard anytime in the future. My reasons, five in total, are as follows…

1) You are nothing but a spoiled brat who doesn't realise people don't want to read your whinny posts about how the music industry has treated you unfairly while you live your posh lifestyle in a big house in rural Vancouver.

2) Being that I once paid $35 to hear you whine about war when you should have been playing songs, which as of late have sucked.

3) I came here to avoid the plotting of schemes to drive you away. Although they have been mostly successful, take up a great deal of my time which could be put to better use leading the rock revolution; something you have done nothing for.

5) Despite the smiles and handshakes that you will receive from the public who generally kiss your ass at every turn, various members of the community of Matthew Good messageboards, and a variety of others who make irrelevant posts on boards that aren't ; please realize that the majority of Canadians consider you to be quite an exceptional ass.

Sincerely,

Scot McCormack

lol!!! that is so funny ;) :angry: :angry: :angry: (8) (8) (8)

we all do things that reflect how we are feeling at a certain moment. artists often say that an album is a picture of how they feel at a certain time. maybe i'm silly to hope this, but im hoping that he will relax a bit with the political music. hes not playing for the fans, so he won't care at all if he loses fans..

maybe he's just going a little ways in all directions. could you have predicted wlrrr would come after alvalanche, or underdogs would come after lotga? this shows we can't predict what comes next. he could bust out a rap album haha. sure, wlrrr sucked compared to his other stuff, but i also think lotga was worse and things only got better from there..

and im sure lots of people liked wlrrr. i do.

I personally really like wlrrr. But there are a lot of things that i hate that see what others think, maybe argue, and maybe i'll learn something. Debating my like of an album is rather trivial and not my cup of tea so i wont bother trying to convert someones thoughts on the matter they are none of my business. But how boring would this place be if everyone thought exactly the same about everything.