a girl called catastrophe

Email To George W. Bush

I enjoyed WLRRR quite a bit, and still do. Was it as deep as Avalanche? No. Was it a good album? Sure. It's definitely something I can use to get folks into his music, as it's an easier record to just rock out to than anything else he's put out.

I personally love - and that's one of the reasons why I like MG - his commitment with social issues... I just think that music is an art and we are living IN a society which needs to denounce all the unjustices... If i was an artist, i would also use my art to denouce what's happening around me

MG is not an exceptional songs writer, music writer... he's also a human being who cares for the others

and, by the way, i love the line "George is teaching the kids to fight": it is just reality, it is just what's happening

I don't think Matthews writing skills have plummeted. If anything, he’s grown as an artist in many ways and some of us don’t understand that, therefore hate it. His subject for his lyrics has changed dramatically from the MGB years.

Artists don’t stay the same for ever, they are always evolving.

I like his music more then MGB.

But that’s just me.

Edited by guitarchick

just so you all know, it was a joke letter not actually sent to anyone. as if the president would have a yahoo.com address.....

i completely agree with guitarchick. matt's style has evolved on white light, just as it has on every album he's put out. every one of them is different, and people like them for different reasons. yes, his lyrics on this one arent as indepth or metaphoric as on other albums, but they are still incredible to me at least. i love white light and i think its one of his best works to date. i think that people are always going to compare whatever music he puts out to beautiful midnight, which was a masterpiece loved by pretty much every matt good fan. it must be hard to try and top an album like that, but i think white light comes pretty close for me. i think its great that he is singing about the issues that are happening in the world, because thats what matters most to him. if you dont agree with his point of view, you dont have to. go watch cnn and get the other side of the story. but that doesnt mean that his music isnt great. everyone has a right to express his opinion, and matt just expresses it through what he does best.

At the time of release Matt said Audio of Being was an album he was really proud of. When I listened to the AOB premier a few months ago it was clear that the whole band was really excited about it's release. How quickly the tune changed.

In my opinion AOB is probably Matt's best writing both musically, and lyrically and the most solid album in the MGB catalogue.

It's sad to think that an album that amazing is so quickly forgotten by him when it's easily his best.

Edit: I was really hoping someone would attack my musical talents.

Edited by panic button

I agree with the fact that AOB is a great album... actually, it is my most favorite MG(B)'s album... and Matt has many times commented why that album seems to have been "forgotten" (it hasn't actually because he has played some songs from that album in the last tour), since it was the last album before they broke up and it doesnt bring him good memories of that period...

but I must also admit that he has improved, both musically and lyrically: in ALL bands there is an evolution, I always think it is for better, and - as someone else has already said - his stuff as MG without the B is MUCH BETTER than much shit which is around...

I'm proud of his evolution in all senses and of being able to create even different kinds of music/lyrics along the years... I just hope he keeps on that track

AOB was great for precisely the reasons Matt doesn't like it. AOB was great since all of the performers where trying to stand in the spotlight. The result was an album where all of the performers are playing at there best. Most of the songs have a passion in them that it hard to replicate. You could go as far as to say that AOB was a blaze out. It was as good at the MGB got (for the most part) but at the cost of the entire bands stability.

I like WLR&RR. I would argue that although some of the lyrics are not as strong, other songs are are very well done. You can argue that the album is transparent, but is it, or is it only transparent because we all know what he is talking about. 10 years from now, will the meaning of ASR be as evident as it is today? further, there has been huge discussion of the meaning of Buffalo Seven. The only weak lyric (that has been pointed out) is "George is teaching the kid's to fight..." which is only weak since it clearly dates the song.

Not that this is a personal attack, but I got to do it:

1) You are nothing but a spoiled brat who doesn't realise people don't want to read your whinny posts about how the music industry has treated you unfairly while you live your posh lifestyle in a big house in rural Vancouver.

I believe he actually lives in an apartment in downtown Vancouver. Further, if you don't like it, then just don't read it. It's not like he's following you around yelling it in your ear.

2) Being that I once paid $35 to hear you whine about war when you should have been playing songs, which as of late have sucked.

Indeed... But really you get what you pay for. We could nickel and dime here, what did your ticket say?. I believe it would have just said "Featuring Matthew Good" not "Featuring the music of Matthew Good". i.e. you paid to listen to him, not specifically to hear him sing. Next you'll be complaining that the table for Amnesty was taking up space that could have been used for the beer garden.

3) I came here to avoid the plotting of schemes to drive you away. Although they have been mostly successful, take up a great deal of my time which could be put to better use leading the rock revolution; something you have done nothing for.

I will not personally, but I will provide some links which may or may not support your claim:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/search-ha...6600725-1507552

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/search-ha...6600725-1507552

And I'm not even sure we could argue that there even is a rock revolution. It our current time we have a rock recession. Maybe your efforts might be better spent attacking artists that actually hinder Rock?

4) White Light Rock & Rollwas a waste of $15. I want my money back you chump.

Indeed... you know, you could have downloaded a few of the tracks off the internet first, then you would have known not to buy the album. I guess that also implies that you would expect to be unsure as to it's quality, so I'll give that you have a point.

5) Despite the smiles and handshakes that you will receive from the public who generally kiss your ass at every turn, various members of the community of Matthew Good messageboards, and a variety of others who make irrelevant posts on boards that aren't ; please realize that the majority of Canadians consider you to be quite an exceptional ass.

touché... But last I checked, Matt didn't go around seeking that kind of attention. We could all remember that he didn't attend the Juno's, in an interview he stated that "I'm not one of those people that relegates music into a competition". I would like to get a chance to handshake with Matt, but since he doesn't tend to come out and bask in his own glory I find it difficult.

I realize that this is a reply to a fairly old post, but I don't care.

Now, let the counter attacks begin.

Peace

I think that's the first post I've seen you make where you didn't come across looking 12. Well done. Now lets see if you can string a few more together.

AOB is an amazing album. We both agree. We both agree why. No need to comment on that further.

I may be coming down a little hard on WLR&RR. I do enjoy a few songs. Mainly Ex-Pats, which I think is excellent, Buffalo Seven, Little Terrors, Put Out Your Lights, and Fell in Love with a Bad Idea. Sad fact though songs like North American for Life and Hopeless are garbage which brings the album down in my opinion. The lyrics are not only transparent, but they're tired and overused. It doesn't paint enough of a picture to keep my interest. All in all, given the chance I wouldn't exchange my money for the album, but I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to buy good rock music.

You know, I'd much rather have someone argue with me who's done their research than sit hear and read another sappy sob story about how I should leave if I hate Matt Good. So good on you for that much.

I'm pretty sure Matt moved out of the apartment and into a house but I could be wrong and if so I apologize to everyone I offended.

You're right. I paid for the ticket, so I've basically got to put up with the way he runs his show. As for the beer tent, I really don't drink, so I'd rather see Amnesty International set up then have to deal with drunks.

I skipped the latest tour, and I'm sure he didn't miss my $35.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong place?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v499/thenewd...recordstore.jpg

I try not to download music. Especially music made by artists who are so clearly against it.

I was surprised the backlash against me wasn't larger, so you're not likely to find much against you.

Edited by panic button

he had stuff from wlrrr on his site, free to all.

and jon is without a doubt one of the smartest people around here and carries himself very well.

aside form that, we all have our own opinions. i think country music sucks, but there are people who would die for it. so basically, everyone calm down. you've seen each others reasoning, enough of the personal attacks and the rebuttle.

and jon is without a doubt one of the smartest people around here and carries himself very well.

Thank you Lauren. I think that I'm going to agree with you, that the mature thing to do at this junction is to agree to disagree.

Peace

Scot, why do you tend to be so "aggressive" to people(when speaking, of course, in the widest sense of the word) when defending your points of view?

I think you can always give your own opinion on something without sounding so aggressive... and respecting other points of view, as Jon has done, for example, and many others here...

as Lauren says, everybody calm down here

Ive been thinking about this for awhile, a long while infact. Personally i also thing WLRRR is prob his lesser album. but it does have some decent songs on it. My personal favorites are BM UD LTGA but that just me. I really wish matt would make another record like UD or BM or LTGA but the fact is, hes older now and more mature. Even though we the fans pay his bills, nobody has ownership over him and he will play what appeals to him first and foremost. If you dont like it dont like it, email him, BTW "I Heard Matt Goods a Real Asshole."

anyway if i sound hostile, im not. But what i wouldnt give for another album like those, i think his music was ahead of its time =), but either way ill continue to buy his albums no matter what.

Scot, why do you tend to be so "aggressive" to people(when speaking, of course, in the widest sense of the word) when defending your points of view?

I think you can always give your own opinion on something without sounding so aggressive... and respecting other points of view, as Jon has done, for example, and many others here...

as Lauren says, everybody calm down here

I don't know. I think deep down inside I hate kids.

that's not a reason why... it seems to me a bit "arrogant" of you to understimate people because of their age... there are "kids" (as you call them) who may have deeper thoughts than you may think...

all opinions are as valid as yours, regarless people's age

You are too arrogant, Scot...

(OffTopic: I'm sorry for the rest of people, I dont wanna start such a discussion like this here, in all the time I have been posting in this forum, nobody has shown so much arrogance like in this case, and I won't start an argument this time...)

I think Scot's being sarcastic about the kid's thing. That's what it seems like anyway. Like, for example, I'm against abortion but I like to kill babies.

As for arrogance, if strongly defending opinions is arrogance, then most of us (myself included) have been quite arrogant here at more than one point.

I don't mean arrogance in the sense of strongly defending one's opinions (I do it too, all the time)... I mean presupposing that people are less intelligent than oneself because of the age or thinking that one has the "universal truth" and that the rest are wrong... this is what I mean (and what it means according to the dictionary) by being arrogant

I don't mean arrogance in the sense of strongly defending one's opinions (I do it too, all the time)... I mean presupposing that people are less intelligent than oneself because of the age or thinking that one has the "universal truth" and that the rest are wrong... this is what I mean (and what it means according to the dictionary) by being arrogant

Can you back this up?

"I think deep down inside I hate kids."

"Maybe so, but if you disagree with what I'm saying and I'm clearly right then that would make you wrong."

there is your proof.

i think he was just kidding about the i hate kids thing and didn't mean 'i hate people younger, and consequently less intelligent, then me.'

I do think it's arrogant to say that you are clearly right when we are expressing opinions. opinions can't be right or wrong.

let's just move on okay? telling someone that you think they have a certain 'problem' (if i may use that word) does not good if the person doesn't realize or want to change said 'problem'.

so we'll move past it then.

i liked matt's letter. i would love for someone to say that directly to his face. and have it videotaped so i could watch it over and over again.

Edited by Lauren_Atmore

Juanpe: When I said "Maybe so, but if you disagree with what I'm saying and I'm clearly right then that would make you wrong." I was saying that if someone disagrees with something that's true then they are wrong. It's simple logic.

You seem to be looking to take offence to everything I say.

When I said I hate kids I was talking metaphorically in a half humourous half retrospective manner. It's not fair for you to assume that when I say I hate kids that I'm refering to you.

The evidence Lauren posted simply holds no weight.