Moonlight_Graham

Missle Defense Program...

You know, to add to what you said, the fact that any initial nuclear attack is bound to destroy humanity creates an incentive for a country not to use them, and (maybe ironically) possession of these weapons creates a degree of stability.

One of the reasons why the U.S. and Soviet Union never reached the point of nuclear war is the idea of mutually assured destruction. I don't care how nuts Kim Jong-Il is, it's very hard to believe he would launch a nuclear attack against the U.S, which would basically be suicide.

Again, it's been said many times in this thread, the greatest threats to American national security are terrorist attacks. The U.S. would probably benefit far more to invest this money into the CIA and other intelligence programs.

Sarcasm noted.

But realistically investing in antiterrorist agencies, and the CIA will just result in a greater terrorist base. The more you piss off people, the more likely they are to commit an act of terrorism. You can't stop terrorism by arresting and detaining anybody he has ever uttered a negative word about the USA.

Peace

Sarcasm noted.

But realistically investing in antiterrorist agencies, and the CIA will just result in a greater terrorist base. The more you piss off people, the more likely they are to commit an act of terrorism. You can't stop terrorism by arresting and detaining anybody he has ever uttered a negative word about the USA.

Peace

All countries need eyes and ears to protect their citizens.

I'd much prefer the US arrest terrorists and treat them as criminals as oppossed to invading countries.

touché... but that mere act of arresting them (often with out charge). Added to the fact that they are held as "unlawful combatents" meaning they don't get any rights, sums to a large hatred of the USA.

Peace

touché... but that mere act of arresting them (often with out charge). Added to the fact that they are held as "unlawful combatents" meaning they don't get any rights, sums to a large hatred of the USA.

Peace

Of course, every single person held as an "unlawful combatant" should either be charged or released. As a civil libertarian, I disagree completely with what's going on there.

When I talk about treating terrorists as criminals and as a law enforcement issue, I mean instead of using the army to go into foreign countries, use the FBI and CIA to gather intelligence, either at home or abroad. I think of this as almost a new Cold War.

Oh.

Yes, then I agree with you. As long as we are talking about lawfully attaining information with the intent of arresting people who are actually a threat, and can be lawfully tried.

But the USA should also consider stopping its intervention into other countries affairs with the CIA. The fact the the USA has in past used its influence to manipulate politics in other countries to support US interests is a huge motivation for terrorism. The USA can't change the past, but they can change the future.

Peace