miss new wave

Peta Paradox

I just happen to believe that animals should have something of a voice in the matter of their being killed for our benefits.

*laughing out loud*

*rolling on the floor laughing my ass off*

But in all seriousness.. vegetarians are simply better people than people who eat meat. Those are all valid points.. the comparisons to sweat shops and heroine really drives the point home.

Would meat be considered a luxury good.

Definitley, dude. I haven't eaten meat in four years and i'm healthier now than ever before, i am spending less on groceries, and nothing is killed when i eat.

But I would like to point out the fact that if a human lives without meat, they are less likely to live a long and healthy life when compared to a person eating a moderate amount of meat. Killing animals in order to make our lives healthier and more enjoyable is well worth it... it is just a part of life. Humans have been eating meat since the beginning of our existance. Other organisms kill for their food sources as well, no matter how viciously. There is no reason to debate changing our eating habits because: 1) People have the freedom of choice, 2) if all humans stopped eating meat there would be a large imbalance worldwide (i have no idea what the effect would be... but im sure it would be large), 3) Meat is so damned tasty

Less likely to live a long and healthy life? Do you have sources? Because Vegetarians/Vegans have a much lower risk of heart disease? I can't recall the exact figure, i'll dig out my book tonight if you want, but it's something like 50% lower risk of Heart Disease. 50%.

And obesity is now an epidemic. Ever seen a fat vegertarian/vegan? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but i know i've never seen one.

killing animals is enjoyable? I would suggest a talk with a doctor, lol.

Humans have been eating meat for awhile, yeah, but it's no longer necesary.

If we stopped eating meat, we'd get a large imbalance worldwide? Hmm, world being North America. Meat is not a big part of eastern diets, and it's really only parts of Europe and North America that eat a lot of meat. An imbalance would occur, but it wouldn't be apocolyptic.

Edited by insober

danimal brings up a pretty good point about the fact that without regulating the rapid spread of our domestic animals we would be absolutely over run by them.

Are you referring to domestic pets or domestic farm animals? If you're referring to the farm animals (and i'm assuming you are), we would not be over run by them. There are tons of them right now but that is because they are bred in massive numbers to meet the demand of meat.

Hypocrisy. What a world we live in. Everyone is a hypocrite and nobody can deny that. I saved my time and didn't read a lot of the the posts, but from what I read a lot of you are quick to jump to accusations not ready to be made. I eat meat, and I love it. I know vegetarians and I have absolutely no problem with them. Every group has their 'bad seeds' and PeTA has been well known to have many. The group itself is not entirely bad as they are standing up for their rights, but their conduct of action is what makes me dislike them as a whole.

I believe leather is used from cow that has already been killed for use of the beef industry. Well, this does go against Vegan 'rules', if you want to call them that, but in my opinion it is a lot better than killing a minx or whatever just for it's skin/fur. At least Jenn has the safe thought to know that more than 50% of that cow's meat will be used by people.

What I hate the most about today is our constant want to put pressure on other groups. So what if I eat meat, Im not eating it on you and you don't have to watch me. So what if they're not eating meat? They're not forcing you to stop. On the otherhand, both sides have their extremists, just like everything. There are people who will rip the steak out of your mouth and cram a beat into it, or take the bean sprout from your hand and give you a pork chop. It is those people that I can't and won't tolerate. Live your life the way you want it, but don't try to make me a clone of you.

By the way, Matt Good probably thinks we're assholes because for the most part...we can be. Nobody is perfect (as he stated earlier) so nobody can be expect to be. Though, as a useless and fruity message to Mr. Good, if he reads this; we're not all that bad, for the most part we're very well maintained.

Anyway, I have to finish my homework. Carry on!

When you get right down to it, humans are animals to. One animal Eating another animal is just something that happens in nature. Are we really better than the other animals on our planet? whens the last time you saw a giraffe blow up an orphanage? Is it because we have cable T.V. and microwave ovens that we can take this moral stand for animals? If you dont eat meat because you dont like the taste or something like that, then thats totally fine. I dont eat eggplant because I dont like the taste. But when it comes to people saying that "animals deserve equal respect and we shouldnt eat them", I just start to think its getting out of hand.

But when it comes to people saying that "animals deserve equal respect and we shouldnt eat them", I just start to think its getting out of hand.

It's not that part that bothers me, because for all I care they don't have to eat meat...more for me. It's when they start using unnecessary violence and unproductive protests that get to me. It's fine to dislike something, but in attempt to save a cow by hurting a human that is when it crosses the line.

Edited by Yasa

I don't even know why this was brought up when 99% of us don't know Jen or Matthew personally. And I don’t even know why you have to argue with Matt when he probably knows Jen more then any of you.

If I have at all any impact on this board, stop writing about people you know nothing about and get on with your own life.

I don't even know why this was brought up when 99% of us don't know Jen or Matthew personally. And I don’t even know why you have to argue with Matt when he probably knows Jen more then any of you.

If I have at all any impact on this board, stop writing about people you know nothing about and get on with your own life.

Agreed. (Words to fill the character limit.)

Oh please (read the thread before your post).

That aside. I have to make a point, although I will be perpetuating the off topic direction of this thread. It has only recently become possible to actual construct a healthy diet with out meat. For a large part many protein supplements/substitutes require a variety of vegetables not exclusively available in all places.

Now as has been said before, can we head back onto topic? For all of the vegetarian debate, you could argue it in another thread ( http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/index....wtopic=2841&hl= ) or start your own thread.

Peace

My post is for the past conversation and to the owner of this thread.

Unfortunately I was unable to catch the stupidity in time to post. My apologies to Toadman for not explaining my post better. I figured since I hadn't posted in this thread yet, I might not be criticized posting late.

It's for future reference to anyone who might feel the need to post something like that again.

When you get right down to it, humans are animals to. One animal Eating another animal is just something that happens in nature.

And also in response to whatever the "If lions can eat animals, i can too" argument.

Well, as i've said, we're omnivores. We don't NEED meat as lions do. And to say we're on the same level of wild animals in terms of our need for meat is completely wrong. We have the knowledge to have a diet that does not consist of any meat at all and still live healthy lives. We also have the knowledge that other animals have brains and the same sensory organs as us, giving them the ability to feel physical and emotional pain. All this on top of the fact that we have moved from nature into cities long, long ago. If you want to eat an animal because that's what happens in nature, you'd better not be using anything more than a fire and some rocks to eat it, because silverware, dishes, ovens, bbq grills, and stoves are not found in nature.

But why should we give up meat simply because have found new alternatives? That's a ludacris argument! Meat is not only part of life, but it's part of human tradition, it's our way of life and has been since the begining of man. only recently have they discovered sufficient alternatives, but before that meat was ESSENTIAL to life. Being omniverious does not mean 'oh well, we should only eat vegetables'. It means we have the choice and physical ability to eat both meat and vegetables. If you're going to be a vegetarian, you better be growing them with your own cultivated land with nothing but your own made fertalizers and home made gardening tools, because hoes, spades, nitrogen based chemical fertalizers, lawn mowers, tractors are not found in nature. That argument can go both ways.

If you really thing it's wrong to eat meat, then don't eat it. Plain and simple. Don't preach to me about how wrong it is or how insensitive it is. I like meat, and I wont stop eating it until I die of a heart attack. But I'll die happy and full of beef, pork, chicken and fish.

But why should we give up meat simply because have found new alternatives? That's a ludacris argument! Meat is not only part of life, but it's part of human tradition, it's our way of life and has been since the begining of man.

If you're going to be a vegetarian, you better be growing them with your own cultivated land with nothing but your own made fertalizers and home made gardening tools, because hoes, spades, nitrogen based chemical fertalizers, lawn mowers, tractors are not found in nature. That argument can go both ways.

I never said that being a vegetarian was natural. In fact my whole argument was that there is hardly anything that we do today that is natural.

My other argument is not that we should give up meat because we've found alternatives. I am simply stating with that point that it is easier to do now. My argument for not eating meat is that there are sentient beings being killed for something that we don't need.

You misunderstood both my arguments.

I never said that being a vegetarian was natural. In fact my whole argument was that there is hardly anything that we do today that is natural.

My other argument is not that we should give up meat because we've found alternatives. I am simply stating with that point that it is easier to do now. My argument for not eating meat is that there are sentient beings being killed for something that we don't need.

You misunderstood both my arguments.

Sorry, I'm just angry at the moment, so I overlooked your initial point. But I agree...nothing we do is really natural anymore.

Is it really necessary to quote the post appearing directly above your reply?

I think we have reached an in-pass in this debate. I think both sides have presented their arguments, and clarified them completely. All that remains is to agree to disagree.

Peace

This thread is already too long but I just wanted to mention that I actually went to the protest. It was nice and respectful and everyone was just there to bring attention for what they believe in.

No one was trying to force the people around them to sign up or get in anyone's way, they were just there to spread the message to whoever wanted to stop to listen.

I also had the chance to talk with Jennifer for a while. Since this thread started with a criticism of her, I just wanted to say that she is a very nice and friendly person and I enjoyed talking with her.

That's all I need to say.

God fucking damn-it.

Look Yasa, All I was saying was that both you and MrManInvisible quoted the post that was directly above yours. I'm perfectly familiar with debate, but it is not necessary for you to quote something that was just said. Tell me, in conversation when somebody makes an argument do you immediately repeat their statement before making a retort? NO, because everybody involved in the conversation already knows what was said. Also if you want to talk about using quotation for credible evidence, then you should also note, that almost never is it necessary for you to quote a statement in it's entirety. The use of a concept known as synopsis may be more appropriate.

Now this little rant is sufficiently ;)

pearanoid:

Thank you for your post, it's nice to see that somebody is capable of not nitpicking the obvious. I believe you that Jen is a nice person. As I said in a previous post, I respect anybody who goes out to protest for what they believe in. There was a lot of attacks about the credibility of Jen's protest because of choices she has made in past. As I said before, if you decide that something isn't right, then you can only be called a hypocrite for choices you make that countermand that, if you make them after your decision. We cannot have always know what we would later decide is wrong. We can only change our future.

bedseed:

What are we drinking, where and when?

Peace