Read these books. There are 7 all told, when he finishes the last one, after which he will retire.

These books rule if you enjoy westerns/post-appocalyptic-earth-stories/dimensional-travel. You'll also like them if you enjoy Stephen King in general, because apparently the worlds that our group of heros in the books travel through are the universes from him other novels, like The Stand or Carrie.

Good stuff, throughly recommend. I picked up the first book about 3 months ago, am on the 4, and abslutely love it.

I was about to post about these books but i came upon this first. I've read the first 4 so far and plan to finish the series this summer. "The Drawing of the Three" and "The Wastelands" are 2 of my 4 fave books of all-time.

I couldn't get past Wizard and Glass at first either. Waited a couple years and read through the first books again until Wizard and Glass and trudged through it, just to get it out of the way. After that I was hooked until the last book. Last book was decent, not great, except for the end which left me feeling empty inside, but in a good (didn't see that coming) way. My 2 cents.

I LOVE the Dark Tower series. Here's my review in brief:

Minor Spoilers

The Gunslinger: Slow and boring up until the end, where he meets Walter. Then it gets wicked.

The Drawing of the Three: Fucking amazing, Probably the best in the series

The Wasteland: Very good.

Wizard and Glass: Mindnumbingly boring, though the begginning, where they finish up with Blaine is really cool.

Wolves of the Calla: Fucking awesome, though the book is really long and it feels like not a lot really happens. They save the town, learn a bit about the retarded plot, and thats about it.

Song of Suzannah and The Dark Tower: Both are amazing The part with Dandelo, when Suzanna sees that it is an anagram of Odd's Lane is....amazing. The ending got a lot iof complaints but really, it couldn't have ended any other way.

i read the first one. thought it was excellent. loved it. tried to read the second one and was bored to tears with it and stopped reading it. maybe i should try and read it again. it may have been because i was about 14 when i tried to read it..

I havent read this series. I probably should since the general consensus sems to be that they are great. However, this guy has put out some pretty shitty stuff overall for the past several years now and I've pretty much given up on him. From A Buick 8 is one of the single worst books I have ever read. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is also ludicrous. However, his earlier stuff (The Stand, The talisman, etc) is some of the best stuff out there