Dan #1

White Light Rock & Roll Review

How did the WLR&RR CD live up to your expectations?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. How did the WLR&RR CD live up to your expectations?

• Better than I thought it would be
    • Exactly how I thought it would be
    • Worse than I thought it would be

Hey guys,

Just wanna know your opinion on Matt's new cd "White Light Rock & Roll Review". I hope you enjoyed it but please feel free to tell us what you really thought.

Do you think the CD was fresh and new?

Or did it sound too familiar to his other CDs?

Thanks for your input!

;) ALERT STATUS RED :angry:

Actually I had my hopes very high (don't know if you say this in this way in English, maybe I'm just translating literally from Spanish...) and the first time i heard it I got a bit disappointed because I expected more, some songs didnt seem to grow on me at the beginning...

but after having listened to it around 20 times already (I keep listening to it all the time...), some of those songs are growing on me and I'm starting to appreciate some songs I discarded at the very beginning

still, AOB is my favorite album, there has not been anything afterwards which may go over that piece of jewelry

WLRR was a lot better than I thought it would be and has a very different sound to it than I was expecting. It's always good to have variety in music so I was hoping this new CD wouldn't be too much like Avalanche.

My guess is that Buffalo Seven is a reference to the seven men charged in September 2002, just south of Buffalo, for participation in a terrorist cell. Six were arrested and charged, and one is still at large.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20031209-114319-3699r.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_six

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...e/profiles.html

(Profiles of the members)

It's either that, or a reference to a snow storm which occurred in Buffalo in 1977. The latter doesn't make much sense in the context of the song, though.

Will

yeah, i was gonna ask that: what does the title mean?

I mean, i can understand the "rock & roll" thing because the album is very rock-and-roll-like... but the rest of the title? the "white light" and the "review"?

any ideas?

Still trying to figure out what the hell a "Buffalo Seven" is. Any ideas?

That's funny, I thought it was a reference to how the Buffalo Sabres got screwed over in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals a few years back against Dallas when Brett Hull clearly was in the crease when he kicked in a loose puck past Dominik Hasek.

Just kidding. That terrorist cell explanation must certainly be accurate.

-- Paul

by the way, i didnt vote here because none of the options match my opinion: at the beginning -as i said above - i expected a lot of the album; the first time i heard that i got a bit disappointed (i could've voted then "worse than I thought it would be")... but now I like it at all...

so i dont know what option to choose... i will just post here my opinion ;)

But your original thoughts on the CD was that it didnt sound so good when you first heard it ... and the CD has grown on you...

How well do you speak english? Can you easily understand Matt's Lyrics?

I really enjoy this CD! it surely was not an avalanche, mainly because it didnt have any cool orchestra, and is good that Matt changed things up a bit. Would get sick of him if he continually made the same music, but over all, fantastick cd. I guess i feel the same as juanpe

actually my major is English and I have been living in the States for 2 years and a half... so my English is pretty good (at least this is what native speakers say:) ) and i understand Matt's lyrics quietly good - I miss some words sometimes - and most important I understand the meaning behind the words in his songs...

... and (sorry, I forgot) my first impression was not really that i didnt find the album good... it just surprised me, it was so different from the previous stuff... i dont know, maybe - as Lorien says - i was expecting some sorta "Avalanche" kinda album... but it's good it surprised me, at least it didnt produce any effect on me ;) on the contrary, it shocked me a little bit...

I think this album was a wee bit more satirey than avalanche, and i love the satire. reading the lyrics, yeah plenty more understandable than my choice of words.

I enjoy the different songs based on my emotion, if happy, Upbeat! if sad, a long way down, if angry, 21st century living. this CD had a bit of everything.

yes, maybe you are right, maybe it sounds very upbeat... but at the same time his lyrics are very satirical and deep and - as always, which is also something I love of his lyrics - very socially commited (it could be because I am very socially commited in Spain too and I'm part of many social organizations...)

I have yet to still hear all of the songs :angry:

From what i have heard, his style is extremely different than avalanche. I like it. The only possible thing i miss is the Orchestra as Lorien said. The orchestra for avalanche gave it a unique feel. Then again, change is good ;)