rmak

Newfoundland Lowers The Flag

Premier of Newfoundland, Danny Williams, removed all Canadian flags from provincial buildings in protest over equalization payments from Ottawa. I can't express to you how much this upsets me. The flag represents the people not the Liberals. If he has a problem with the Martin government then can he not take it up with him in a more mature way.

It also upsets me to see such dissention among the regions of Canada and the federal government. For years we have seen the unrest from Quebec, the West and the Maritimes. I fear that if we can not reach some cooperation between these people the confederation will be doomed. The idea of a country representing peace and order - something this nation has become - will be lost.

Our only hope to settle these quarrels is new and creative leadership that can unite the people. Seems impossible but hope dies last.

i don't believe in blind patriotism. but that flag means a damn lot.

the representation is of the blood spilt. there lies importance in that.

THE SOLDIER

It is the soldier that harbors our freedom.

It is the soldier that shields the innocent.

It is the soldier that warrants respect.

It is the soldier that goes unseen.

It is the soldier that is dishonored.

It is the soldier that is reviled.

It is the soldier that bears our burden.

It is the soldier that relinquishes his life.

It is the soldier that bleeds.

It is the soldier that is alienated.

It is the soldier that is rejected.

It is the soldier that is forgotten.

It is the soldier that fights and

It is the soldier that dies.

Let us take notice.

Let us revere.

Let us love.

Let us hold close.

Let us acknowledge and

Let us not forget the Soldier.

i don't remember who wrote that. but the site says copyright 2002, christy canyon. so let's assume.

that actually wasn't the one i was looking for. but that's alright.

THE SOLDIER

IT IS THE SOLDIER, NOT THE REPORTER, WHO GAVE US FREEDOM OF THE PRESS.

IT IS THE SOLDIER, NOT THE POET, WHO GAVE US FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

IT IS THE SOLDIER, NOT THE CAMPUS ORGANIZER, WHO GAVE US FREEDOM TO DEMONSTRATE.

IT IS THE SOLDIER, NOT THE PREACHER, WHO GAVE US FREEDOM OF RELIGION.

IT IS THE SOLDIER WHO SALUTES THE FLAG, WHO SERVES BENEATH THE FLAG,

WHOSE COFFIN IS DRAPED BY THE FLAG, WHO ALLOWS THE PROTESTER TO BURN THE FLAG.........

that's what i was looking for.

think about it.

think beyond the anti-war thing for a moment. think about war as a sometimes necessary evil. a means to peace.

now go read 'shake hands with the devil.' it will open your mind. it's continuing to open mine.

in summary, i'm not for war. i'm against it. i don't know if i make sense, but the flag and the anthem are things i actually respect now. i know what they represent, and that deserves respect. i am disgusted when people do not shut up during the anthem at school. i am saddened when they do not realize why we have a moment of silence. it is not only for the blood lost of our own, it is for the millions of innocents. it's for humanity. you may not understand. i don't really expect you to.

and i'm not a blind patriot. in fact, far from it. i don't really feel like arguing this point.

and i think i completely went off topic once again. sorry. i tend to ramble.

now go listen to these songs.

against me! - baby, i'm an anarchist! (because it's light hearted)

against me! - those anarcho punks are mysterious...

matthew good - pledge of allegiance

john lennon - imagine (or the 'a perfect circle' cover)

sage francis - makeshift patriot

and our country does represent peace and a common bond of humanity. not like we're perfect...

screw it. i hope you understand what i'm saying.

Edited by cavalier_eternal

You know, i love canada, but i'm not a nationalist.

Countries are too big. It's not pretty, but canada will fall apart. You just can't please 33 000 000 people.

if there were more, smaller countries, everyone could find a little piece of territory to be happy in.

I don't know anything about equalization payments, but this isn't the first devisive issue for any province. Taking down the canadian flags is just immature, but i think it's a sign of things to come.

whats funny is how long did the government of Canada support/give money to Newfoundland because they had none.

Newfoundland says:

"help us Canada, our people don't have jobs, natives are stealing all the fish, we can't live within our means"

Canada says:

"sure, your in need, will help you fellow province, and will lower the amount you have to share for your resources so you can make a little more money..."

---A FEW YEARS LATER---

Newfoundland says:

"look we have oil, were better than everyone (except Alberta)were going to get tons of money, F**k you Canada we don't have to share any of it"

Canada says:

"now you have a commodity you need to share it and the money generated with all of Canada..."

Newfoundland says:

"Fuck You, Canada"