wentwj68

Chirstmas? Holidays? Xmax?

There's a huge debate over whether or not you should say "merry christmas" or "happy holidays" I myself celebrate christmas, but only out of social habit not any religious reasons. I don't exactly understand fully what the christmas pushers want, do they want to force corporations and stores to say "merry christmas" ionstead of "happy holidays" or is it just that they want schools to learn about christ around christmas? Either way i don't see why "happy holidays" isn't a nice inclusive alternative that covers not only christmas but any other holiday. Just wondering what everyone else thought and if i was missing something about the debate. I quick looked for this topic, if it already exists, sorry.

Happy Holidays

I think the problem people have with Happy Holidays being said instead of Merry Christmas, is becasue Christmas is being taken out of the enitre holiday season as far as its actual meaning goes. For example, many school choir holiday concerts in the USA no longer sing Christian holiday songs such as "Silent Night" or "Joy To The World" because it's insensitive to non-Christians. However these programs always made it a point to include Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and songs not relating specifically to any religion thar are allowed to remain. That's hypocritical and wrong the way I see it.

I think all the religions should be absent from school, and everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want in respect to religion at home. Same for corporations. If schools include one religion and not another, than that is hypocritical, but I don't recall seeing any Kwanzaa or Channukah songs in any public school I've ever seen/been to

Well I went to a school's holiday concert only a few days ago. They had Kwanzaa and Hanukkah songs, and some non-religion specific songs, but Christian songs were excluded. Now I'm not the most deeply religious person of all, but I figure if Christians are ok with Hanukkah and Kwanzaa songs being performed at holidy concerts, why should non-Christians take offense to Christian songs??

Well now that that was brought up. Intrestingly enough, Christianity was not really the reason for christmas for anything other than name itself. The holiday was originally a pagan holiday to celebrate the winter solstice, and the birth of Christ is reported to be sometime in the summer (I forget the actual date, but i want to say June/July ish). The church placed the celebration of the birth of christ on December 25th to ease the pagans into celebrating christian tradtions. So while "christmas" in a sense is a christian holiday, the time and placing of it is actually pagan.

And yes, if a school allows other religious songs then they should allow them all (Assuming it's public), but I'd prefer leaving religion out of the schools all together.

Actually they're reasonably certain Jesus' birth was in either late December or early January. In the Russian Orthodox faith for example, Christmas is celebrated in January (the 6th or 11th, can't recall for sure) because they believe that to be the correct. This coincides with the pagan holiday however, so the celebrations have come together and overlapped in a way. For example the tree decoration has no basis in Christianity but was practiced by pagans.

Regardless, with schools and other public institutions, I figure it should be all or nothing. To exclude Christianity is completely unfair, so it would only be right to either allow it, or to exclude everything else along with it.

Christmas is a part of our culture. The majority of the people I know who celebrate Christmas aren't religious. I'm the first one to say that religion should not take any part in education, or politics for that matter. But what does rudoplh the red-nosed reindeer have to do with Christ?

They should let kids sing carols at school for christ's sake. pardon my pun.

I remember when I was a kid and used to attend an annual christmas party. At some point they re-named it to "A Winter Wonderland" or something. We went to that party to exchange gifts and have fun, not to talk about jesus.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to offend anyone despite my hating religion. This issue bothers me in the same way that the "retard/handicapped/epecial person" issue does.I can't keep up with it all.

Next year I might try a new greeting: Merry Christmas, fuckin retard --And happy new year (until people decide they are offended by the Christian calendar and we'll have to change that to Happy Annual Anniversary Day)

I pretty much agree with what you are saying saturnine. If I say Merry Christmas to someone b/c that is what I celebrate, I really don't get how that is insulting to someone else's religion. This political correctness crap is really starting to get on my nerves b/c it is being taken WAY to far. I wouldn't be insulted if someone wished me a Happy Hannukah or whatever, I'd just appreciate that they said anything!

I think this is one of the greatest ironies of all time.

Non-Christians don't, for the most part, get offended when someone says "Merry Christmas", or sends them a card saying that, or something to that degree.

Yet when Christians are in the position of being told "Happy Holidays", they get up in arms about it, running scared that their culture is about to be destroyed.

I don't get it.