juniorspank

Napoleon Dynamite.

To say the movie is good because it doesn't follow the conventions of having a story or a plot is like saying a new model of car is great because it has no engine. Sure it's different from what everyone else is doing, but certainly not better or even good. I guess my dislike stems from not only the fact that I didn't find it either funny or entertaining, but also that it really disappointed me as everyone assured me it would be the funniest film I'd ever see. Obviously it wasn't.

I don't think that's a very good analogy. Cars can't work without an engine but movies can work without a plot. i.e. Fantasia. The fact that there was no real plot didn't make it funny, it made it somewhat original. It was just a silly movie that was funny.

There was a plot . you just have to think outside the box.

It's giving you an insight into the lives of the stereotypical losers at school. Instead of giving the cheerleaders or the jocks the spotlight.

No matter your background, family, money, or religion, you can make a difference if you stick together.

I thought Napolean was hilarious....he was probably the most socially awkward person i'd ever seen and he had no idea. I think the movie gave you a look at what it's like to be in a socially awkward position and feel comfortable. You have to try and not take it too seriously, just sit back, stupify yourself for an hour and a half, and laugh.

(Though i agree that Kipp [the brother] and the uncle were crappy characters)

I personally loved it, especially (like Broken said) to watch and quote with friends... we've been going "IDIOT" and doing the "uuuuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhh" all week.

But seriously, I don't think it's as stupid as as everyone's trying to say it is. Kat's right, it does have somewhat of a plot, moral or whatever.

Edited by badseed

Brilliant Indie Comedy....though so many people relate/compare Ultra-low budget films like this to Hollywood comedies...why do that?

Just respect that the fimmmakers had the balls to put together something original and offbeat, and made it work...it's one of the big success stories of the year, kuddos to them. Each year, hundreds of Independent filmmakers dare to acheive the impossible and scrape up enough funds and talent to put a story to the screen , I think it's rather impressive that they had the balls to go into depbt to make this film and worked their asses of to get it screened at festivals...the rest is history.

i didn't expect anything from the movie at all, i just wanted a good laugh. i certainly got one..my god, that movie is hilarious! and the dance scene...i'm just speechless.

"i caught you a delicious bass"

though i must say, after about 2 weeks of people in school quoting it, i am getting kinda annoyed, but the movie is still super-duper!

It's just one of those movies like Blair Witch-its nothing if you don't go along with it. Not really a fair comparission though, BWP sucked.... But still, part of why its so catchy is because people give it the credit to be. The "It's pretty much the best movie of all time" attitude is itself the movie's biggest joke.