toolboxnj

Replacing The Hegemon

And, in a unrelated point, this $350mil that the US government is giving in aid does not include the millions of dollars a day in costs that the military incurs in it's assistance in delivering food ans supplies to the region.

it doesn't have to be included because it is irrelevant.. it's a write-off as most of the countries that are giving aid are also incurring costs to fund the aid.

Peace and prosperity exist when people are satisfied, not because there's a cop. Britain left as people started to revolt against them because when people are un-happy, and fed up, plus if they're willing to do something about it, they most likely will.

I disagree. Canada has had a great deal of success in using the military to acheive its goals. The Persian Gulf in 1991, the Balkans in 1993, restoring the Haitian government in 1995, defending Canada's fishing interests from Spain, Kosovo, Afghanistan... Plus, its stayed out of losing wars like Vietnam and Iraq. So, I think we're in pretty good shape.

EDIT: Obviously, it needs better funding. But in the current world system, Canada's military is still highly capable of getting things done.

Er...you can't really count the Persian Gulf War as a 'success' based on Canada's military. It was more of a UN success as it was pretty a victory based on these countries;

The United States, Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom, France, Kuwait, Egypt, Syria, Senegal, Niger, Morocco, Bangladesh, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, and Bahrain.

Other countries contributed ships, air forces, and medical units, including Canada, Italy, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Czechoslovakia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Poland, and South Korea.

Also, it's not the success rate that defines of the military that defines their power, otherwise Israel would be a strong contendor as the IDF has won many battles. It's the fact that we do not have the number of military units that makes us a 'middle power' for that category. Hell, we don't even have an MBT anymore, the took the Leopard C2 out of service not too long ago.

toolboxnj,

You're asking people for their opinion and then you procede to argue it. An OPINION.

Are you generally interested in what people have to say or are you trying to show off your knowledge of history?

And I don't mean this to be hostile, just an observation.

toolboxnj,

You're asking people for their opinion and then you procede to argue it. An OPINION.

Are you generally interested in what people have to say or are you trying to show off your knowledge of history?

And I don't mean this to be hostile, just an observation.

This is a debate forum.

I think there's a difference between starting a debate and asking people for their opinion before discrediting it.

But that's just my opinion. As you were. Sorry for the intrusion.

Why not? I created the thread, and in it a asked a relavent question on international affairs which several people responded. I do have a wealth of knowledge in this area, probably enough to discredit most claims that are contrary to mine. I would not, for instance, participate in a thread dealing with abstract art, cooking, or programing in C++ because I lack the necessary instruction.

My point is, I don't believe you can discredit an opinion. You can discredit a statement, but not opinion.

However I'm very off topic and just nitpicking. I'm annoying myself now. Sorry toolboxnj, no offense intended. I understand you're starting an informed debate. I know nothing of the actual topic, so I shall mind my own business.

An elementary truth:

Power corrupts. Few would disagree. Therefore, a just "system" would eliminate power, or disperse it evenly among all so that none would have power over another. Why would I be happy with any nation-state having hegemony over the others? I don't even think nation-states should exist.

why pick?

humanity should stop exploiting humanity.  enough of this power crap.  power is always abused.

because that's the way hierarchys work, whether you like it or not

It doesnt necessarily have to be a hierarchy though. You are just to much a product of your society to see it that way. Try to think in a more revolutionary way ... instead of saying who would do this job better... ask if theres something wrong with the position because nobody can seem to get it right? You cant drive a car with a broken engine by replacing the steering wheel...i know you all loved the metaphor ;) Its a really hard thing to do,i agree it seems impossible for such a huge change to actually happen. Its up to us though and if we are unhappy with the state of our world its up to us to make it right not complain that someone else isnt.

Australia is the last country I would want as a power house. John Howard makes Bush look good. Not to mention that Australia sent troops to both Iraq and Vietnam, and has done their share of freedom control in the name of fighting terrorism.

If a country HAS to have superpower status, give it to the swiss or to Mongolia.