Sign in to follow this  
ToadMan

Integrity

I'm not sure how many of you watch Premiership soccer. I follow a Premiership team, but that's not important. For anybody that does watch the game, then they will be familiar with the recent Tottenham vs Man U incident.

For those of you not familiar: in the dying minutes of the match Tottenham played the ball goal ward from about a 1/3 of the way down the field. The Man U goal tender scrambled back to catch the ball, but it bounced out of his arms, and over his head into the net. The Man U keeper dove backwards and scooped the ball from within the net and threw it back out. Since play was a 1/3 of the field away, neither the Referee nor his lines man could tell whether the ball had entered the net, and the incident was ruled not a goal. The video replay clearly shows that the ball entered the net (by at least 1 meter), to the extent that two of the major bookies in the UK are refunding all bets that were for Tottenham to win, and one of them is actually paying out the bet.

My concern is about the integrity of the game. The Man U goal keeper dove into his own net, he must of known that the ball was over the line. Why did he throw the ball out when he knew that he had failed. Why did he make an action to prevent the goal (an almost certain loss for his team) with total disregard to the spirt of the game. I accept that he may not have know that he was in his own net, these things happen very fast. But when he had thrown the ball out, his body was in the net, he must have at least known that the ball was in the net at that point. Why then did he not say something? He protected the match result (0 - 0) at the expense of the reputation of the game. I will even go as far as admit that the goal keeper may not have even known. So then why did the Man U side not concede the defeat. Why did the manager after seeing the replay not admit that it was clearly a goal.

The problem with Premiership football is not that the FA and the referees do a poor job. It's that the teams themselves lack the integrity to accept that they made an error.

This is the same problem as we have been seeing for the past few years. In a different context, it is common place for strikers to go to ground if they are in the penalty box. Regardless of whether or not the tackle was actually that bad. Strikers will go to ground in hopes of getting a penalty kick for their side. I have seen many clips of top strikers doing so. A tough, but fair challenge in the box almost always results in a striker going to ground and appealing for a penalty kick. If the referee and his lines man can see the incident they almost always rule with the player on the ground. Often the player was not tackled in a way that is outside the rule, and often they probably shouldn't have fallen over.

The whole thing upsets me. I love the beautiful game, but when I see these people playing in a way that tarnishes the spirit of the game, simple so they can get the win, it's really upsetting. As a supporter of BCFC, I'm ashamed when I see players on my team pulling these trick. I'm thankful that the blues don't often try such things. I sincerely hope that they don't ever take up such practices. Maybe that's why they will never be a top side. Frankly if I had to choose, I would support a losing team that plays with dignity, and respect for the game, over a winning side that pushes the limits of every rule, and brings shame to the entire sport.

People where outraged when Maradonna (sp) punched the ball into the net with his hand. They where not happy that he played with such a lack of integrity. I don't see these current antics as any different, so why aren't people outraged when Rooney goes to ground because a defender tried to get the ball from him?

That was a rant. Your thoughts?

Peace

I can't stand football personally, but I respect your opinion. However, it cannot be denied that the players are extremely overpayed and idolised, especially people such as David Beckham. Hell, I have an idiot cousin who copies almost everything he does, fashion-wise. The game these days seems to be all about money, not about rules.

i think players of other sports (at least in north america) are idolized more..

and yeah, people play to win nowadays. why would you play honestly and have fun when you can cheat and win?

Back when I played house league soccer, and played as the goalkeeper, there was once some discretion as to whether the ball had goneinto the net, the referee was blind, and my teammates were obviously trying to convince the ref of their opinion.

So I just told them the truth, the ball had actually gone in. Wasn't so hard, was it?

Either way, the soccer moms from the other team sure were arrogant about it. "Oh, ha ha ha, the boy has some integrity in him! What a loser!"

Video replay really does need to be made mandatory in more professional sports.

I agree with you somewhat but I don't understand what this has to do with capitalism. These teams will make money whether they win or lose.

I don't follow soccer but I know that the same type of thing happens in hockey. Refereeing is a part of the game.They are human and make mistakes.They don't always make the right calls. A lot of players don't see anything wrong with not going out of their way to do something that's not going to benefit their team.

But in the age of instant replay, that sort of thing shouldn't happen.

Personally I wouldn't feel good about winning in that fashion.

the only question i have to ask is, "do you play elite level sports?"

i assume you dont, because you wouldnt ask the question.

the reason why he disregarded the so called obvious goal is because he wants to win, and athletes will do whatever it takes to win.

i played hockey and baseball my entire life at elite levels (not professional, however) and even though i am very passionate about the games and consider them to be the backbone of my life, i too would try to pull anything to get the win.

also, playing out a play when a questionable goal may or may not have been scored is hardly considered cheating.

Edited by evan

You just hit exactly my point. Why is it that people are willing to do anything to win. I have played sports (never on an elite level) and I don't feel it's right to do anything to win.

Football, or soccer, is called the beautiful game. How can it be beautiful if players are willing to extort the limits of the rules to win.

Peace

I could never be fully satisfied with winning a game that I didn't actually win. I'm sure the players who cheat aren't fully satisfied either, but it's a sacrifice for the rewards of cheating. i.e. steroids.

I've always been annoyed by the little pussy kids who take dives. It's just such a dirty thing to do