dont forget the sidling...hehe. "here take these tick tacks with you everywhere" hhaha and she had the wrestling shoes on...hehe. And the yada yada..."can you yada yada sex?" "oh yeah ive done it before...so we went out for dinner..went back to his place...yada yada..." "why would you yada yada the sex?" "The salmon was better than the sex" hehe something like that, it was good...great show! Giddyup!

Elaine-"he picked me up from his place, we went to a nice restaurant, I had the lobster bisque, went back to his place...yadda yadda yadda, I never heard from him again"

Jerry-"you yadda yadda'd over the best part!?"

Elaine-"No, I mentioned the bisque"

Seinfeld was great, but it ended really poorly. As for Married with Children, it was mindless stupidity, but it had it's moments. You can't compare the 2 shows.

There's more to it than that, it was itself a fairly new concept, a family sitcom that was actually dysfunctional. Before that they had the Patridges or the Cosby's and sure once in a while one of the children would get into trouble of some kind, but they were always this perfect happy family, hugging, smiling, eating dinner together and so forth. The Bundys where the exact opposite, and were first in that, Al was a complete loser who made almost nothing selling women's shoes, his wife never did anything ever aside from waste money, the son was a sexual deviant always trying to get some and the daughter was a slut. Before "Married..." sitcom families were perfect beyond any sense of realism, "Married..." became the opposite extreme and portrayed the average family and totally exaggerating how bad it is. It basically allowed for the creation of sitcoms that be somewhere in between (although the funnier ones were always closer to "Married..."). It was alot more influential than most people realize.

dont forget the sidling...hehe. "here take these tick tacks with you everywhere" hhaha and she had the wrestling shoes on...hehe. And the yada yada..."can you yada yada sex?" "oh yeah ive done it before...so we went out for dinner..went back to his place...yada yada..." "why would you yada yada the sex?" "The salmon was better than the sex" hehe something like that, it was good...great show! Giddyup!

Here's how it went down.

And yada yada yada. Can you yada yada yada sex?

I've done it.

What?

Yeah with my ex-boyfriend, we went to dinner I had the lobster bisque, we went back to his place... yada yada yada.

How could you yada yada yada the best part?

I mentioned the bisque. ;)

Hahaha i was watching "Peoples Court" today and one person was suing another person for damaging her car when she decided to take a parking spot by pulling in while the other person was backing in....remind you of a Seinfeld episode much?

It was undoubtably THE best show ever on television because they made such a big deal on everyday things. It was basically a standup show in the form of a sitcom....wait Jerry was a standup comedian! It all makes sense now!...Robin get me my Batmobile!

i never thought myself a fan of Seinfeld, but last night two of my friends and i had a movie night and after watching Fargo we went full into the Seinfeld archives and man did we watch a lot. i now appreciate it on a whole new level. when did the audience start clapping everytime someone walked into Jerry's apartment? got kind of annoying.

I don't really like it. Kramer is the only reason why i watch it now and then. Elaine and George get on my nerves.

And where Seinfeld is decent. Married with Children is HORRIBLE. Worst. Sitcom. Ever. As for the best, i give it to the Drew Carey Show (up to a certain point, they went way downhill after a while) and Yes, Dear.

Seinfeld is a comedic genius. I can't think of any other comedy sitcom that was as funny or original. "It's funny because it's true" couldn't be more right. everyone can relate to the situations the characters got into.

it was funny because it was believable. Jerry took ordinary situations and exagerated them just enough. People view seinfeld as just being a sitcom - which it was - but no matter how funny jerry's writing was the show would have never been as funny if the acting wasn't as awsome as it was.

The acting on seinfeld was better than any current drama series I can think of. How many of those cop shows are there where they are all monotoned, savvy and cynicle? The acting sucks thats why those shows suck. And then you have shows like the Gilmore Girls where they spout out so much articulate insightful bullshit that it's unbelievable, which means it sucks.

When George was irritated at something, you believed it. And no matter how stupid Kramers rants were, his acting was so intense. The situations were fuckin funny.

Raymond is OBNOXIOUSLY formulaic. Here i'll write an episode for you all:

Ray does something stupid to piss of Debra.

The mom tries to help Ray out.

The mom makes a joke about Debra being a piece of shit housewife.

Debra gets pissed off at Ray again because of his mom.

The dad walks in and says that he wishes the mom was dead.

Robert walks in "Is this about me?"

Everyone tells him to shut up.

Robert says that he has broken up with another girl.

Nobody cares.

Robert whines about Ray being the favorite.

Ray makes a joke about Rob being tall or having big feet.

Everyone laughs.

The mom tells them all to shut up.

Raymond suddenly realizes what he's done wrong or why people are angry.

He makes a speech to make it better.

Everyone leaves.

Ray makes a stupid closing joke and kisses Debra with a smile on his face.

(insert snotty kids where applicable)

The End.

I don't particularly like Seinfeld but its WAY better than the Everybody Loves Raymond tripe.

hence why i said it was a different type of show.

maybe it appeals to italians more because isn't that what the show is based on. his life growing up or some shit like that.

being an italian myself, i can def. understand some of the things that take place.

but then maybe the show isn't built on that. who knows. its funny. i like it.

I used to hate that show. it grew on me a bit, probably only becaue it's been on t.v. on like 5 different channels every day for years.

raymonds nowhere near as good as seinfeld. seinfeld was solid. the writing was average, with some less than average performances.

the whole "robert's jealous of raymond" thing was never funny.

The father was a terrible actor. so were the kids.granted the mother was good, so was debra.

I don't really like it. Kramer is the only reason why i watch it now and then. Elaine and George get on my nerves.

And where Seinfeld is decent. Married with Children is HORRIBLE. Worst. Sitcom. Ever. As for the best, i give it to the Drew Carey Show (up to a certain point, they went way downhill after a while) and Yes, Dear.

Yes Dear?!? Seinfeld is 'decent' and Yes Dear is one of the greatest sitcoms ever!? You're the reason they have abortions, my god. That show is complete and utter trash.

And Raymond is great, but nothing can be compared to Seinfeld. The finales for both shows were also great, both had very fitting endings.

It's funny that you despise Raymond yet seem to think that a show that pulls a plenty from Raymond is one of the greatest shows ever. Honestly, Yes Dear? How can anybody find that funny? it's so formulaic, with bad actors and terrible writing. I could honestly write a Yes Dear script in about an hour.

With Yes, Dear there is a variance in plot and in character.

Every episode of Everybody Loves Raymond that i've seen seems to be designed to revolve around Raymond getting into trouble with Debra and his mom interfering and making it worse.

And i'm sure the acting in Raymond is far superior seeing as how every character has a one-dimensional personality.

And i have never in my life seen a sitcom recycle more jokes than this one. Tall jokes about Robert, divorce jokes about the mom, bad housekeeper jokes about Debra, whiny jokes about Ray etc... etc...

And pulls a plenty from Raymond? Raymond is base zero of all sitcoms. Everything has to have evolved from it because it is so damn awful. The only similarity i can see between the two is that they both have families. Which is basically 80% of all sitcoms out there.

Two things, Peter Boyle is a magnificent actor. He's been top-notch in everything he's ever done including Raymond (especially whenever the script calls for him being dramatic).

There's no plot variance in Yes, Dear. Let me guess, the one couple is gonna be really trashy and the uptight couple is gonna be embarrassed. Their parenting styles will clash, 'hilarity' will ensue.

You can't deny the effect Raymond had on the television landscape either. It premiered when 'beautiful single people living in the city' shows dominated the airwaves. It was a family show that didn't care about the kids and didn't feature a main cast member under the age of 35.

they both have families. Which is basically 80% of all sitcoms out there.

The idea of making shows about families is one that was re-popularized by Raymond in 98. They proved it could still work after shows like Seinfeld and Friends and countless knockoffs were all over the place after the downwards spirals of Roseanne and Home Improvement. If Raymond wasn't a hit, there would be no Yes, Dear or According To Jim etc.

The humour might not appeal to you, but to say that Yes, Dear is actually one of the greatest of all-time (where's Seinfeld, Arrested Development?)? Anyone who knows anything about television would laugh in your face.

It's sad too, because I read the top 10 movie thread and you had some decent taste there.

Edited by OWJeeves

You may remember Peter Boyle from such hits as "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" "Dr.Dolittle" and "The Shadow." But he can pull off a performance such as in Taxi Driver. But top notch in everything he's done? Sorry.

As for your series summation of "Yes, Dear" if you managed to watch more than 3 episodes, you should realize that while it has served as a base of some of its comedy, the plots rarely ever use it as a storyline.

The idea of making shows about families is one that was re-popularized by Raymond in 98. They proved it could still work after shows like Seinfeld and Friends and countless knockoffs were all over the place after the downwards spirals of Roseanne and Home Improvement. If Raymond wasn't a hit, there would be no Yes, Dear or According To Jim etc.

It doesn't take talent to re-introduce a type of sitcom. Nor is it genius to include a character over 35. Anything new in a sitcom will get gauranteed viewers. Whether that new thing be children, a senior citizen, or a zebra patterned rug that gets into hilarious antics.

If we're talking revolutionary sitcoms than yes, Seinfeld would be among them. They used situation and character comedy (while not my cup of tea) that was completley unseen on television before that time. That 70's Show could even be considered revolutionary in regards to format and visual techniques. But Everybody Loves Raymond introduced families back into sitcoms? Sorry. It's not the same.

With that said, i didn't mean to call Drew Carey and Yes, Dear the best sitcoms EVER. That was just shitty phrasing and my rambling narrative. I meant that they are the most entertaining sitcoms on television right now. And even that was in regard to personal choices in humour. My point was and still is that Everybody Loves Raymond sucks. Its humour is repetitive. Its plots are repetitive. Its characters are one-dimensional and its "innovation" is minimal at best.

I'm on a laptop right now so I'm not typing alot, but I've seen at least 50 episodes of yes dear (I watch drew carey on tbs and yes dear is on immediately after and there's nothing else on). So believe me, I've given it a chance, it's just terrible with these horribly contrived situations and lame jokes. The best part about raymond is something that's similar to seinfeld in that it can make a 22 minute episode about something like moving a suitcase and still have it be funny and entertaining (the rest of america and just about every critics association seems to agree with me).