rmak

Avalanche Songs

who here also thinks matt was trying to extend a lot of these tracks for as long as he could? go for a record like in a godda divida or something.

having said that, best album ever.

Edited by rmak

The only ones that I think he really did that with are "Avalanche," "While We Were Hunting Rabbits," and "Near Fantastica." Witness the fact that "Near Fantastica" was cut down a lot for use as a single. The one song that I kinda wished was longer was "21st Century Living."

I do recall that "Avalanche" was extended even further when played live. That ruled.

Anyway, I don't think he was trying to pull an Iron Butterfly or anything. I mean, he didn't have any songs over ten minutes, and none of the songs were tracked together to form larger compositions. I would be interested to see what the result would be like if he tried something like that.

weapon, in a world called catastrophe, house of smoke and mirrors, pledge of allegiance all six minutes long

avalanche seven and a half minutes and near fantastica, wwwhr both eight minutes

over half of his album is longer than what he typically does (3-5)

Edited by rmak

i dont find the songs to be too long at all. the way the songs were written, they need the length to develop and say what they need to say. if anyone heres written a song, you'll know that the song just pretty much decides how long its going to be. you can feel when its done.

Edited by derek.

As long as he isn't doing it to drag the song on, just for the fact that he can make them longer. If there is a purpose for the length and he just isn't wasting time.... than how could he go wrong? Avalanche was an amazing record, one of Matt's best to date. But sometimes, if you can cut a track down by 3 minutes, just because its useless noise, than it's far better.

live, in fredericton, he played Blue Skies OverBadlands, and it hit a solid 14 minutes, a little over. Not kidding, but it was amazing... the lights were so cool and the music got really ambient

live, in fredericton, he played Blue Skies OverBadlands, and it hit a solid 14 minutes, a little over. Not kidding, but it was amazing... the lights were so cool and the music got really ambient

Man, when I heard that here in Toronto (yeah, I was at that show), I thought it was absolutely incredible. It just got into this sort of almost space-rock vibe, and kind of reminded me of pre-Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd, with its experimental feel. It was beautiful.

"Near Fantastica" single version is the original version of the song, it wasn't cut down. What happened is Matthew Good had some more studio time, so he worked on an extended version for the single, and recorded it and what not. When all was said and done, people liked the extended better so it made it to the CD instead.

Really? Now that you mention it, I guess that kinda makes sense. I know I liked the longer version. The only part of it that didn't work as well, I think, was the extended intro.

Anyway, some of the expanded live renditions of some songs (like Blue Skies or Giant) have made me wonder what it would be like if that desire for lengthy works carries over into the next album.

If you mean the fact that there is orchestration or string accompaniment of some sort on most of the songs, then I think I agree. It's become a trend these days for rock groups to add strings (most often unneccessarily) to their songs, and that was the one thing that I didn't really like about Avalanche, and is why it's not one of my favorites (I still think it's a good album, but not the best). That's why I love WLRRR so much - very stripped-down production, especially compared to Avalanche.

i didnt mean the songs were too long, i was wondering if he was intentionally going for longer songs

its my fav album and avalanche is my fav song

Edited by rmak