Dan #1

Help With English Assignment

Load Me Up

(Murphey fight Hokum, you're in the stand is a referance to Murphey's Law, and Hokum's Razor)

We're So Heavy

(How Can you Love, Drusilla, and Forsake Rome?...Im sure that's gotta be one)

How about "North American For Life"?

(George Is Teaching The Kids To Fight. George is...)[obviously bush]

you're welcome

I could be way, way off here but if my vague recollection of Roman mythology serves me correctly the "How can you love Jove, Drusilla, and forsake Rome?" has to do with this:

Jove is another name for one of the very high up Gods in roman mythology (name has escaped me) and Drusilla was his half-sister or some sort of relative. They fell in love or at least one fell in love with the other and if they were to consummate their relationship this would be a disrespect to the Roman people since these were the actions of their Gods and incest is obviously frowned upon. Also I believe Drusilla was married to the aforementioned God's brother or something and would therefore be traitorous to the family and also adultery.

If that is completely wrong I'm sorry but this is what my now rusty Roman myth knowledge tells me. I make a disclaimer here and now that if I am way off I will accept any amount of criticism that anyone has to offer but won't take responsibility for the mark on your schoolwork. With that being said I hope I'm at least close to right and helped you out some with your troubles.

That sounds a lot more correct than what my vague memory provides me with. There are a lot of similarities in our two versions as well. I said a powerful God and yours has Calligula the powerful ruler, I said Druscilla was his half-sister and lover while you say pure sister and lover and we both say that the outcome would have been bad for the Roman people. We are pretty much saying the same thing except your facts just seem to be more plausible and in better order. The only question left is why the name Jove was used if it was indeed Calligula?

Hmmmmm, this is a real head scratcher and me being the person I am I think I'm gonna spend a while trying to find out (I hate loose ended questions without answers. blast all the hours wasted on my stubborn persistence!!)

I looked a while back and it was hard to figure it out perfectly. I really love this line though, so i think i figured it out. Jove is was Jupiter I believe, but either way it was one of the more important gods, so it's like asking any currently living citizen of Earth "how can you love God(s)/Life/anybody/anything and jsut let the world go to shit around you" I actually think that would have fit better in the song, but I don't have a record contract. Good luck though on figuring it out.

I have uncovered a little more to add some clarity to the subject of Jove and Drusilla. Drusilla was indeed a sister of Caligula and it appears she was involved with him in an incestuous relationship. At the least Caligula was oddly fond and passionate of this particular (unlike his other two sisters who he strongly punished). She would eventually die and he was devastated and had her deified (made a God).

As for why the name Jove was used rather than Caligula there is a quite simple explanation that sums up why both The Rat Who Would be King and I were both on to something. In his madness and egomaniacal manner Caligula professed that he should be refered to as Zeus, the God of Gods in Roman mythology. This ties in perfectly because both Jupiter and Jove were both other names for Zeus or alias' if you will. Therefore calling him Jove is the same thing as calling him Zeus.

As for the forsaking Rome part what I figure it means is that Caligula was a terrible tyrant after the early stages of his reign. As The Rat Who Would be king said she was likely the only one that had enough influence of Caligula to have him stop his terrible ways because he loved her so deeply. Another very plausible explanation is merely that since he was such a tyrant, Drusilla was essentially endorsing and encouraging his evil ways by accepting him as a lover and therefore forsaking her people. She was the only one of the three sisters that he did not exile, possibly because she was the only one to weak-willed to stand up for herself, or weak-minded to see how awful he really was.

That's it cased closed for me, I feel like I just did a research essay for an ancient civilizations class or something. Thanks to the Rat Who Would Be King for his help and I also hope that all this riduculously lame effort was not completely wasted and it ends up helping danimal with his English class in some way.

I could be way, way off here but if my vague recollection of Roman mythology serves me correctly the "How can you love Jove, Drusilla, and forsake Rome?" has to do with this:

Jove is another name for one of the very high up Gods in roman mythology (name has escaped me) and Drusilla was his half-sister or some sort of relative. They fell in love or at least one fell in love with the other and if they were to consummate their relationship this would be a disrespect to the Roman people since these were the actions of their Gods and incest is obviously frowned upon. Also I believe Drusilla was married to the aforementioned God's brother or something and would therefore be traitorous to the family and also adultery.

If that is completely wrong I'm sorry but this is what my now rusty Roman myth knowledge tells me. I make a disclaimer here and now that if I am way off I will accept any amount of criticism that anyone has to offer but won't take responsibility for the mark on your schoolwork. With that being said I hope I'm at least close to right and helped you out some with your troubles.

incest by gods frowned upon? ha.. as if.. most of them were products of incestuous relationships then went on to have incestuous relationships and perpetuate the cycle.. how do you think they kept the royal bloodline intact?

While I accept that your criticism is correct and I did say I was open to it, I also would like to draw attention to the fact that I have since changed my stance on that post. The only reason I said incest may be the problem originally was that I vaguely recalled the situation but not why it was a problem and the only thing on the surface of my original recollection that seemed to be a problem was that of incest. With that being said however, through my further research to clarify the situation there was more than once mention of the incestuous relationship between Caligula and Drusilla as at least somewhat wrong. There were direct mentions of this and other times indirect mentions such as ones that claimed that Caligula attempted to hide his incestuous feelings and instead pass them off as merely a strong sibling bond. This would show that even in the years 37-41 during his reign there was already a notion that incest was wrong or at least somewhat frowned upon.