miss new wave

Canada For Asia

You paraphrased... I technically quoted.

Well that aside. I can understand the objection Matt has to these kind of performances. He may have done them in past, but we must accept that he has decided that people shouldn't need incentive to donate to a worth cause.

Peace

For one thing, Matt was supposed to be in Europe for a month starting last week. Not to mention, I highly doubt that the CBC would consider approaching him, as he's not only out of the spotlight, but also prone to doing something highly offensive onstage.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if he had the attitude that the rich people performing in the concert (like Celine Dion or Avril Lavigne) should donate some of their own money, instead of patting themselves on the back and singing.

a lot of them did donate their own money.

I won't deny that, I'm sure they did, but it really pisses me off when you see artists like this getting all self-righteous for singing a few songs, hoping people on TV will donate money. They're basically doing their job, except not getting paid for doing two or three songs.

Firstly it's "tragedies of this era", I believe (from 21st c. living)

On one hand, I'm pretty sure people like the Tragically Hip don't need PR stunts, they've got a well-established fan base. And a benefit concert, well, it's a nice little pop-culturish way of raising funds. I agree with Matt though. It's rather shameful that in the wake of the worst natural disaster in the last hundred years, we need to find reasons to help out.

I do doubt that the CBC would've let Matt near a microphone. ;) Though it would have been wonderful if he could've pulled a Jon Stewart and gone on there, taken pause before his song and publically denounced this sort of thing, told those people sitting at home that they shouldn't need to be entertained before they start giving. Shame is such a wonderful tool.

By the same token, I don't think that awareness events are a waste of time in the same sense. But everybody knows the kind of devastation that took place. It's now just about persuading people into doing something about it. If Avril can do that, then by all means, let her do it. It's just sad that it's come to this, really.

Edited by xcham