no yu begin wher i end

Meet Religious Right Enemy Number....umm....

sponge.184.jpg

On the heels of electoral victories barring same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" Dr. James C. Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.

SpongeBob needed no introduction. In addition to his popularity among children, who watch his cartoon show, he has become a well-known camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick and likes to watch the imaginary television show "The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."

Now, Dr. Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside children's television colleagues like Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The makers of the video, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity."

The video's creator, Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit "We Are Family," said Mr. Dobson's objection stemmed from a misunderstanding. Mr. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to create a music video to teach children about multiculturalism. The video has appeared on television networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The pledge, borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video and is available only on the group's Web site.

Mr. Rodgers suggested that Dr. Dobson and the American Family Association, the conservative Christian group that first sounded the alarm, might have been confused because of an unrelated Web site belonging to another group called "We Are Family," which supports gay youth.

"The fact that some people may be upset with each other peoples' lifestyles, that is O.K.," Mr. Rodgers said. "We are just talking about respect."

Mark Barondess, the foundation's lawyer, said the critics "need medication."

On Wednesday however, Paul Batura, assistant to Mr. Dobson at Focus on the Family, said the group stood by its accusation.

"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said. "It is a classic bait and switch."

God forbid the kids start being nice to gays.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/politics...ogin&oref=login

If you want to read the story, use the sign-in name "someguy99" and the password "bugmenot".

Well, I don't think that christians will ever stop either the hatred or the intolerance when it comes to anything that does not fit in the entire concept of "Tithe, or go to hell". Now, I'm not going to make this a general stereotype, because that would be hypocrisy at it's finest. Some, mayhaps many christians are tolerant of homosexuals. However, the sad fact remains that most of the christians I know, with the exception of a few are quire homophobic.

Personally I think it has to do with the entire mind set of christianity, which is "Do this, don't you dare do that, God needs the money and ignore what Jesus said about loving each others".

Edited by Dan

What in the name of Sir Robin of Camelot does the American Government have to do with this? It's a Christian organization that's sponsored by people that sit by their TV watching tele-evangelists.

Edited by Dan

Although my goverment is completely filled with idiots, I find it dearly amusing how everyone points fingers at the American Governent for reasons like this thread. Like, Dahhh stupid american government. First off, its not the american government, its the those Christian Cult people, Second off, there are some good things happening in the United States. unfortunately, they are completely buried bout the overwhelming bad things. oh well..

fuck most ignorance

Edited by penismightier

I happen to think that religion is worse. I think the philosophy of religion isn't bad, and there are some very nice religious people, but I think religion itself is a very harmful, unaccepting idea. In today's world it hurts more than it helps.

...I think religion itself is a very harmful, unaccepting idea.

I think there's a productive way of addressing problems associated with religious doctrines and/or institutions, but branding such a broad category of 'religion' as inherently more bad than good is not one of them.

Yes, there are certainly numerous examples of religious texts being used to propogate discrimination. There is also substantial evidence that religion has increased tolerance. The issue is obviously too complex to dismiss religion as a negative influence on current society.

To some extent, there exists an anti-religious sentiment that embodies some of the very qualities religion is accused of: harmfulness and unacceptance.

Clearly, futher discrimination and lack of tolerance is not the way to approach this issue.

In just about every speech Bush delivers, he references the Bible, God, the Christine faith, etc. I think that religion is playing too much of a role in the way that country is being governed. What ever happened to that whole seperation of church state thing? Was that just a dream.

-Troy-

In just about every speech Bush delivers, he references the Bible, God, the Christine faith, etc. I think that religion is playing too much of a role in the way that country is being governed.

I disagree. Religion is often part of political rhetoric, but this is more of a reflection of what the audience wants to hear than imposed ideals.

I think the problem exists with the majority of the population citing religion as a reason for being intolerant rather than the government enacting or maintaining policies that uphold religious morals.

summerbronze:

I agree with what you said, but solely telling the masses what they want to hear, does this really alleviate the situation? To me, it just sounds like you're BS'ing the population with religious propaganda to fulfill one's own hidden agenda, whether that be political, religious, or what have you. More often than not, religion is used as an excuse or a scapegoat to mask one's ignorences or intolerances.I think having religion is great and a fantastic way to live one's life, but there are too many contradictions and half truths that it is nearly impossible for religion to have an impartial impact on the way our societies are governed. Too many wars have been fought in the Lord's name because one way is right and the other is wrong. It started with the Crusades and hasn't stopped. Anyways, there's really no right or wrong answer when it comes to religions, but I think it is time that religions start to understand that there are more then just one view or belief and accept all under one umbrella. Cheers.

-Troy-

summerbronze:

I agree with what you said, but solely telling the masses what they want to hear, does this really alleviate the situation?

No. It most certainly does not. I, like you, believe that church and state should be as separate as possible - religious rhetoric does not belong in the realm of politics and government.

I'm just questioning where the impetus lies - are politicians mainly using religion because people want to hear it? Or does politicians' use of religion lead to changes in people's beliefs.

I think politicians use religion because it's safe. For the most part, people accept it because it's familiar and well, if God said so, then it must true. But there are too many cases where people have that hard core belief and if a politician can come out and reinforce those beliefs for them, then that becomes and a pretty hard train to derail. This really doesn't answer any questions, but I love talking about it. Great topic. Cheers Summerbronze. Keep it up.

-Troy-

summerbronze:

I agree with what you said, but solely telling the masses what they want to hear, does this really alleviate the situation?

No. It most certainly does not. I, like you, believe that church and state should be as separate as possible - religious rhetoric does not belong in the realm of politics and government.

I'm just questioning where the impetus lies - are politicians mainly using religion because people want to hear it? Or does politicians' use of religion lead to changes in people's beliefs.

Good question. I guess it's a mix between giving the people what they want to hear, and giving people a sort of power trip.

For the most part, I don't think Christians are too keen on having their religious laws enforced on the public, with a couple exceptions. But in the U.S., 22% of voters are evangelists, and they're the people that are really gung-ho on their views, and believe that they're absolutely right about everything, so it's no suprise they'd want their beliefs to become law, as it were.

Cheers to you as well, troy.

I think there's definitely a danger associated with politicians or religious leaders adding fuel to the fire. If you have a person who believes very strongly in certain religious dogmas - and these beliefs make them behave negatively towards others - than a person of influence citing these same beliefs reinforces the negative behavior.

To link to a topic of another thread, if you have someone who is prejudiced against homosexuals because they think their religion disapproves of it, and then they hear the pope condemn it, they are simply encouraged to be even more intolerant.

Perhaps it's a vicious cycle?

I think religion and politics should just be kept apart. To assume that everyone in your country follows the same beliefs is just ignorant. But I think we're all in agreement on that.

Summerbronze, I just want to clarify what I said earlier. I think the ideas behind religion aren't that bad. And I don't think that all religious people are bad and intolerant. I have some friends who are very religous and I couldn't ask for a more caring or open minded friend.

However, I believe that the way religious institutes are run today are harmful to society. Now you're right, generalizing that much isn't really fair because their are some people out there trying to change things. But overall, some of the beliefs put out there are just mind boggling.

Some of the ways the muslin religion is being bastardized is a good example, as are the recent thoughts from the Pope about condoms and homosexuality.

I don't know a lot about other world religions such as buddism, so maybe that's okay, but the religions I have come into contact with haven't given me a good reason to think otherwise.

Do you think it's the actual religion itself, or the members of said religion that make you react that way?

Generally the major components of various religions are harmless, but the people - often religious leaders - through their actions cause others to attribute negativity (and worse) to the religion rather than the individual(s).