uglybutterfly

Because Cnn Said So

Well. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me but I find it absolutely disgusting how giving to the Tsunami Victims is a trend. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people shouldn't give to the tsunami vicims but the only reason people give a damn is because of the mass media coverage. I think its sick that people need to be told by CNN when to care, I wish people would just think for themselves and care all the time.

A few weeks ago a homeless guy froze to death in a tree but still you don't see anyone running out to save the poor homeless people because people freeze in trees everyday, its not a big deal if it's one bum at a time right? What if all the bums in a city slept in trees one night and they all froze to death and it was all over the news the next day, would people organize charity parties to build more shelters for homeless people then?

I find it extremely disturbing that exactly one year prior to the Tsunami disaster an earthquake pretty much levelled a city in Iran and killed at least 20000 people and left another 75000 people homeless and nobody was fazed. I didn't attend one charity event for the people affected by the earthquake in Iran. I never even heard about it until a week ago.

I don't really know where I'm trying to go with this, I'm just frustrated and wanting people to be pissed off with me.

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else.

Wow, it's quite nice to see some one actually feels the same way I do about this. Tragedy de Jour my dear. I can already see interest in this begining to fade, and there's been no news of anything positive of this issue. That tells me people feel like they've done their part, so they can move on and not feel guilty. It's quite sad really. Things like that Canadian benifit concert, while being done for a good cause, wouldn't be on the air if a few artists didn't see a chance to play the best gigs of their lives and if a few high ups weren't going ot make some money off of advertising and selling of airtime to celebrities and their causes. As for the bums, I think if your scenario took place the city would just cage up all the trees so that the homeless couldn't get at them.

What's even worse is when countries pledge money, having no intention to deliver, simply out of pressure; as soon as the public eye is turned, they cancel the cheques, as it were. After the Bam earthquake, 1 billion was pledged, but very little was delivered. The problem with this (aside from the obvious problem with empty promises for ostentation) is that some people look and say "wow, the government is giving a billion, what's my 5 dollars gonna do", and don't give, or give less; and then when countries fail to deliver on their pledges, rebuilding is left to the locals, who have no more media around to portray their plight.

in all honesty, the reason that people care about this disaster and not the iran incident or others like it is simply because there were white people there

its unfortunate, but its true

Wow. Yeah, I never considered that but thinking back a lot more of the stories on the news or in the paper are about the few people from Canada that were there instead of the fact that 150000 other people died. Well, to a certain degree anyway.

in all honesty, the reason that people care about this disaster and not the iran incident or others like it is simply because there were white people there

Wow. Yeah, I never considered that but thinking back a lot more of the stories on the news or in the paper are about the few people from Canada that were there instead of the fact that 150000 other people died. Well, to a certain degree anyway.

the reason the number of Canadians killed was always mentioned is that it helps to put a more personal spin on the story. If people can relate to some who were killed it will make them more willing to give money. sad but true.

I donated, but not because it was the "cool thing to do" or because there were Canadians over there...

I donated because millions of people died/will die. And every day I am thankful that I am not one of them.

Whenever someone mentions now many North American's died, I remind them of how many of the native people died there. and how many are GOING to die from disease.

It's staggering and sickening to think... not many things can make me cry, but this is one of them that did.

and I too, didn't hear about the earthquake in Iran until just recently...

or the massive death toll in africa that grows everyday

it seems like people are only willing to donate if it get's them in the spotlight

that's the same problem I have with the situation. It's all well and good that people are opening their wallets for this disaster but why don't we try and fix some of the more pressing matters while we're at it?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not angry at anyone for donating. However, I think it would be nice if we focused on the worlds problems all the time instead of just one problem every now and then.

It's kinda like in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" when they free the ape they also free the rest of the animals as well /shitty analogy

so you're basing this on the fact that maybe 2000 out of 260000 dead people were white? good call.

I donated $50 to the Red Cross eariler this month, and it had nothing to do with what colour of skin the victims were. And for the record, many of the people hit by the tragedy were non-white.

I care about all the world's humanitarian problems, but unfortunately i'm not aware of them all. I'm not all-knowing. I know what i can from reading the newspaper, watching TV, talk-radio, and other media. Thats where i get my news.

The tsunami was a large-scale emergency and the Red Cross, Unicef etc. said they needed help so i gave them a bit of cash, which was matched by the Canadian gov't.