after my first listen, i pretty much feel the same. not that it sucks so much but the fact that nothing was memorable. but i can see why you'd make that correlation. it seems like he's going along with the "same shit, different colour" kind of formula... where he's stuck with the same kind of song structures, shitty lyrics, etc. and is trying to make up for it with lots of noise. the fact that the album is marketed as such is an indicator of that to me. some parts rock really hard, but they're all pretty predictable. it's like he's replaced the ambiance and strings from the fragile with a wall of noise, which has a similar, filler/atmospheric effect.

what pisses me off about it so much is how predictable the melodies all are. i could hum the fucking song in my head never having heard it before.

aside from the songs that were "leaked" weeks ago, not a whole lot on this album interested me. no "beside you in time" this time around...

it's not even noise. the downward spiral had noise. this is severely lacking.

regarding nine inch nails:

this music isnt for everyone.. you have to have that acquired NIN taste, to love all of the past records to really dig this new album. i'll admit i was expecting a bit of a more epic album, considering all the hype and the massive viral marketing campaign that was done for this album. but you know.. i can listen to this record and feel great so that's all one can ask for. not only that, but all of the hardcore NIN fans out there can boast that they were involved with a great experience that challenged them.. that brought them a lot closer as a community and were just part of something really special. this album really grows on you after a few listens. its a good time to be a NIN fan.

where the heck is the live drumming? i distinctly remember interviews with trent where he knocked processed beats because they were too cold sounding.

most embarrassing moment of year zero thus far:

" You should

Get where you belong

Everything you know is wrong

Come on, sing along everybody now"

its on par with that moment on the beside you in time DVD when trent tries to get the audience really involved and into the song by making them clap and saying "c'mon" or whatever.

...not only that, but all of the hardcore NIN fans out there can boast that they were involved with a great experience that challenged them.. that brought them a lot closer as a community and were just part of something really special. this album really grows on you after a few listens. its a good time to be a NIN fan.

dammit, there's no rolly-eyes smiley without the smile. go ahead and boast that you were part of a marketing campaign. and i'll laugh my balls off at you. ;)

regarding nine inch nails:

this music isnt for everyone.. you have to have that acquired NIN taste, to love all of the past records to really dig this new album. i'll admit i was expecting a bit of a more epic album, considering all the hype and the massive viral marketing campaign that was done for this album. but you know.. i can listen to this record and feel great so that's all one can ask for. not only that, but all of the hardcore NIN fans out there can boast that they were involved with a great experience that challenged them.. that brought them a lot closer as a community and were just part of something really special. this album really grows on you after a few listens. its a good time to be a NIN fan.

what the hell are you talking about? seriously, what?