penismightier

Greatest Songwriter Of All Time?

Bobby D is definitely top 3. [And ya, a lack of Blonde on Blonde is an embarassment (see High Fidelity for further information)]

His songs are usually fairly simple, yet strikingly beautiful. And I think that simplicity is something that is lacking a great deal in lots of music. Obviously the complicated layered stuff can also sound amazing, but I think the mark of true talent is being able to take music down to 4 chords on a guitar and still have it make your head spin.

Roger Waters is also an excellent choice, and I will also throw Ani DiFranco into the mix. Not to say she's the ultra all-time best, but women seem to get overlooked, and I do think she has quite a lot of talent.

John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Bob Dylan

Joe Strummer

Frank Black

Neil Young

David Byrne

Elvis Costello

Nick Drake

Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Jeff Tweedy

Noel Galagher

Beck

Damon Alburn/Graham Coxon

Brian Wilson

Kevin Sheilds

Ian Brown/John Squire

Morrissey/Marr

Mark Hollis

thats all i can think of off the top of my head

I totally forgot to add Josh Holmes(Kyuss and QOTSA), Kurt Cobain and Steve Jones (the sex pistols).

I'm hitting myself in the head for forgetting those three.

kurt cobain? steve jones?

greatest songwriters of ALL TIME?

youre joking, right?

and its josh homme, not josh holmes ;)

Edited by mrs jesus

Kurt and Steve kick ass.

(and i have fixed my spelling mistake)

kurt is cool and all, im just kinda surprised to see him on a greatest songwriters of all time list

<shrug>

(theres no s on the end of homme, silly)

I like the cut of your jib, and agree with you on Mr.Cobain.

I would also like to add Lou Reed and David Bowie to my list.

what was i thinking?

as for Steve Jones. He played power chords, and essentially just elaborated on what The Ramones and New York Dolls were doing. If I were to include the Pistols in my list, its would be Mr. Rotton, not Mr. Jones.

as for Steve Jones. He played power chords, and essentially just elaborated on what The Ramones and New York Dolls were doing. If I were to include the Pistols in my list, its would be Mr. Rotton, not Mr. Jones.

A valid point, but the way I see it, Never mind the Bolluks is the holy bible of punk rock.

and as for who actually wrote the riffs, its hard to say. Glen Matlock was the original bass player, so Rotten may not have had much to do with many of the songs.