Biggie

Matthewgood.org

Matthew Good has a collage up that says "Four More Years," with images from Iraq. But if Kerry had have won, it still would have been at least several more years of the same. And who is to say that Kerry would have been a more effective war time president? He hasn't exactly been the most consistent senator, that's for sure. Just my thoughts.

what difference does it make? bush was elected and kerry wasn't. making a hypothesis as to what might have been is futile.

Exactly.

Furthermore, this isn't the place to discuss this, we've got a politics and debate forum for a reason.

i used to work for an american company that had an office in downtown vancouver... most of the people i worked with were american, and more than half of them voted through absentee ballots. i asked them why they chose to vote for bush, and most of them said "no matter who we vote for, the next four years are going to play out the same"

that being said, this thread is about as useless as dubya himself.

I have a friend, he was born in Canada, but his parents were American. (Granted I dont understand the fullness of this) but he says he has to pay american taxes in addtion to canadian. But heres the big thing, because he's live in Canada his entire life he's never been a member of any electoral collage so didnt get to vote.

A prime example of "taxation w/o representation" and hey wasn't that one of the big factors for the reveloution?

a. The electoral college is a select group of people, I believe the number is the same as the number of representatives(as in the House of Representatives). Therefore, by you're definition only 250 or so Americans actually vote.

b. if you think the whole representation issue actually played any role in America's independence, other than mere propaganda to gain support of the masses (much like the whole wmd's in Iraq) then I suggest you actually learn American history before you go quoting it.

I have a friend, he was born in Canada, but his parents were American. (Granted I dont understand the fullness of this) but he says he has to pay american taxes in addtion to canadian. But heres the big thing, because he's live in Canada his entire life he's never been a member of any electoral collage so didnt get to vote.

A prime example of "taxation w/o representation" and hey wasn't that one of the big factors for the reveloution?

bullshit.

my parents are also american. my dad currently resides in colorado. i, as a child was a resident of the US and even served 18 months in the US Navy after i graduated highschool, even though i had spent more than 80% of my life in canada. as a product of america, i was given the choice to claim either american or canadian citizenship. a myth that some people like to claim as true is that people have "dual citizenship" this is true until you reach the tender age of 21, the day you become a full fledged adult (according to the US government). therefore, you are only to pay taxes in your home country or a country where you operate a business.

i made my decision before i was 21... and ironically, still serving on the USS Abraham Lincoln. i claimed full canadian citizenship 28 days before my 19th birthday, and now never have the choice again to be an american citizen without applying for it.

QUOTE (HSteele @ Jan 26 2005, 06:29 PM)

a. The electoral college is a select group of people, I believe the number is the same as the number of representatives(as in the House of Representatives). Therefore, by you're definition only 250 or so Americans actually vote.

b. if you think the whole representation issue actually played any role in America's independence, other than mere propaganda to gain support of the masses (much like the whole wmd's in Iraq) then I suggest you actually learn American history before you go quoting it.

Actually the number is more like 540. There are laws in some states that force them to vote certain ways. The only way to belong to an electoral college is probably to be a very unsavory person, as you have to get high up in the ranks of politics. Anyway.

The number is actually 538 Electoral Votes. 2 Senators per state (100) + 435 Representatives + 2 Senators and 1 Representative from District of Columbia (3) = 538 Electoral Votes up for grabs. There are two logical reasons supporting the Electoral College:

1.) The powers that be concluded that if a candidate won the popular vote of a particular state, then it's only fair that the elected congressional officials of that state (Senators and Representatives) support that candidate. This method would eliminate bickering and partisan politics.

2.) Candidates must visit the vast majority of states to win an election, or else the candidates would only focus on states with high populations of voters that support their party. Essentially, the candidates would have no reason to visit Alaska and Wyoming if the Electoral College didn't exist.

Each political party on each state ballot elects an electorate to cast that state's electoral votes when the Electoral College is in session. The Electorate can be a member of Congress, but can also be a donor or somebody affiliated with the political party. So if Ralph Nader won D.C., his electorate that he chose would officially cast the districts 3 Electoral Votes for Ralph Nader when the Electoral College met. The Electoral College is nothing more than the official end to the election and there is no ceremony surrounding the event. The citizens who vote for the candidates decide who wins the election, so no matter what you read about how the Electoral College decides the election, the Electoral College vote for a candidate based purely off how the citizens of each state decide the outcome of the election.

Being a Social Studies Teacher in Ohio, I have studied this issue in some detail. The Electoral College is similar to your Ridings System in Canada. I don't think that the Electoral College is all that bad, because it was created for a just reason back when heavy populations resided in only a few states. Candidates only traveled to those few states to earn the Presidency. On the flip side of this though is the fact that a candidate only has to win the ten most electoral vote abundant states to win an election. If it were up to me, I'd decide the elections based purely off popular vote.

a myth that some people like to claim as true is that people have "dual citizenship" this is true until you reach the tender age of 21, the day you become a full fledged adult (according to the US government).

To further perpetuate the off topic discussion. Dual citizenship my not exist between Canada and the United States, it does however exist between Canada and any other commonwealth nation. I hold both a Canadian and British passport, as do all of the members of my family.

With that little bit of business out of the way, can you take the politics discussion to the politics forum?.

Peace

First of all, this isn't a "blog".

Second, why post in a thread that no one has replied to in about a week only to complain that it should be moved to another forum. Obviously everyone here has said their piece on the subject so just let it die.