Antipop

First Encounter

Just wondering how everyone got introduced to the music of Matthew Good. I'm suprised how many Americans we have on the bored, I had no idea the band got any radio play in your neck of the woods.

Like most preteens in the 90's, I first heard Matt through Apparitions, which I thought was a great song. I didn't buy alot of music back then, so I didn't pick up any CDs until around the time Strange Days became a video, at which point I realised that the songs of his I had heard were really really good. I managed to get into a free concert he was playing here in Regina and...well, everyone knows the story behind that one.

So, how did everyone here get hooked. And how many of you were fans of his "before it was cool."

I totally started this same thread a few weeks ago but no one was really into it. I'm sure it's still back there somewhere.

But for me it was on CFOX that I got on cable radio in Kelowna. They were really pushing the songs from "Ghetto Astronauts" and I loved it.

My first album was Underdogs right after "Everything Is Automatic" kicked ass.

I had MuchMusic for a time, and saw the Strange Days vid, which got me hooked. Then I saw the Future is X-Rated, Carnelina, and Anti-Pop vids, and I started buying the CDs.

I bought my boyfriend at the time Big Shiny Tunes 4 for Christmas when I found out he cheated on me so I kept it instead of returning it. That CD had "Hello Time Bomb" on it which made me practically wet myself so I ran out and bought BM. I fell in love with the CD and proceeded to go off and purchase Underdogs (my personal favorite), Raygun and LOTGA. Since then I've been hooked.

I'm from the US and I heard Matt Good one nite stoned in the back seat of a friend's car. He put on Beautiful Midnight. I listened through Giant and thought it was the most beautiful, meaningful thing I had ever heard.

I dont remember when I first heard him, but I remember when I was prompted to get his first CD.

I was working@ Wendy's at the time (Hey I was 17 okay) and I was working early moring one day. I was listening to the radio on my walkmen cause the rest of the staff (the idiots that they were) voted to put on crap pop music. Now theres only so much Nsync briteny and hanson I can take before I have to shoot myself so I figured its better to listent to cjay.

Neways I had been hearing apritions and Everything is Automatic on the radio for a while and really liked both of them but it wasn't untill this one day cooking a shit load of bacon that when I heard the song my brain realized hey this is like the best music on the radio, and its way better than anything else they've been playing in months, so as soon as I got off I went and bought the CD.

From then on I've always been at Future Shop when it opens to buy the new CD when it comes out. Well cept WLRRR but I was out of the continent at the time so I have a decent excuse

Matt was always kind of a staple here in Canada....for me anyway....but my little brother was into him HUGELY and sparked my interest after telling me about the manifestos etc....my brother made me a tape (haha that sounds funny now) with a mix of his personal MGB faves for me and I shit myself....started to appreciate MG a lot more after that.

After my brother died about 4ish yrs ago, he left me all his music and writing, and among his 2500 cds were all Matt's...

so I had an instant collection...not quite the way Id have liked to acquire more cds but...it is what it is.

Avalanche cemented my love for MGs music in a big way...

and I am currently in one of my *MG NONSTOP ALL DAY ALL NIGHT* obsessive compulsive phases.

Edited by jennzebel

August 12, 2000.

In Quebec City.

A 5$ gig in a park.

My comments on the gig at the time... "My favourite moments were when they sang Strange Days, and that piano song for the encore. It's so beautiful. I just love piano, so anything containing it makes me happy! I also liked it when they performed their radio hits, because it was the only time the crowd was really into it, it seemed. The rest of the time, the crowd was dull. That's the only sucky thing I can think of. At one point, Matthew commented: "Looks like we're playing at someone's funeral." Later, they had some girl from the audience to get up on stage, sit on a bench, and watch the band from there. Came out a Smurf on some pole. Matthew: "Those who want Smurf to stay alive scream." Silence. "Those who want Smurf to BURN!" SCREAM. And he caught Smurf on fire. Later on, he did the same thing, with a Teddy Bear."

That was my first encounter with Matthew Good (Band) and from there I could not get enough. It's often been that way with me, I see a band live and I'm hooked because live shows is what music was made for, not for CDs...! Ciao!

The first time I heard MGB was about seven years ago I think. I was playing in the shittiest band ever at the time and I remember one day, our drummer came in with a cd and said "guys, you gotta hear this song! We have to cover this!" I was floored and hooked immediately. The song: Everything is Automatic. I don't think we ever got around to covering it though. Good thing. We would have butchered it. Been a fan ever since though. Cheers.

-Troy-

Jennzebel- Your post made cry. Seriously.

I remember watching Much Music (back when it was watchable) and MGB was the first I can really remember liking a band a lot. I think each of the singles became the type of song where I would watch much music just to see them. Apparitions was also my favourite song off of my then favourite CD Big Shiny Tunes 3. It wasnt until BM came out that I really fell in love with the singles. By that time I was old enough that I was buying CDs and I had a rule that if there were 3 good singles I'd buy the CD, so I did. That was my favourite CD for along time, so much so that I got it for my dad and a few other people in my family. I got AoB but I wasn't really in love with the band, just the singles. It wasn't until around the time the band was breaking up that I really listened to AoB and fell in love. Since then I've been hooked.

On a family trip to Whistler, saw the "Load Me Up" video on Much, bought BM upon my return to the states (somehow got the canadian version though!?), disappointed the others wern't available, I held out til the next feb. when we went back to Whistler, bought LOTGA, Underdogs and AOB at once, was informed by the shop-keep that they broke up, was very disappointed again. Waited patiently until avalanche was released and WLRRR, and the rest is history, never have been to a show though...

That commercial, with two old people complaining about the state of music.

"Matthew Good Band... what's so good about Matthew?"

But I first heard Hello Time Bomb on some crappy compilation disc I bought when I thought Blink 182 were "cool". I guess it didn't turn out all bad.

Jennzebel- Your post made cry. Seriously.

Awwwww...I didn't mean to....haha I avoided the worst of that I promise!....it is a sad thing....

Sucks now cuz MGs all solo and shit and my brother would have went mental for it all...so sad....

Some ppl are too beautiful for this earth....