How do you feel about the Canadian music scene these days??  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canadian music scene these days??

• What Canadian music scene???
    • It sucks because theres a lack of diversity.
    • It's alright... but could be better.
    • Lately it's been good. New bands like metric/the stills rock!!
    • I prefer the good ol' days.

frankly, i was tired of hearing the same old bands until this year. i've found that more people are finally tapping into an actual canadian music scene, and are not just listening to BNL, OLP, treble charger, sum 41, gob or avril lavigne. (no offence to said bands... or anyone who likes them. you can like them... i don't)

there's a whole poop load of bands out there for us to finally listen to and experience. or at least, that's what it feels like. maybe it's always been this diverse, but i haven't realized it until now.

thoughts?

Canadian Music is AMAZING!! you need that answer on your poll

We have waay more diversity then the flem that comes from the states, and anything original in america just turns into consumerized crap in a few years. If you dont agree then you should pursue the candain music scene more... the problem is so many ppl write off canadian music that it is hard for the smaller but very talented musicains to get their stuff out there. Take Teagan and Sara for example they have been around for years, their stuff is ten times better then lots of the stuff on the radio (even my mom agrees!), they've been on conan obrien, and mtv and they still RARELY (as in ive never heard them on the radio in ontario) get played. This is a problem, we as canadian have to support our homegrown talent by requesting them and encouraging djs and venues to play them, so that other ppl can hear it and love it too. Theres tons of really great candian music out there. Heres some of my fav's have a listen --> tegan and sara, the arcade fire, the dears, death from above 1979, Of montreal, Broken Social Scene, The Marble index, Dallas Green, The Organ, Martina Sorbara,and the Reason

Theres is tons im sure im forgetting and more i dont know of so please add to this list!!

YAY canadians!!!

The Reason, Dionisus, Das Radio, Matthew Good, ALEXISONFIRE, bucket Truck... <3

We have a lot of amazing bands, but i find we are really good at chugging out the boring indie three chord rock, so it could be a lot better. I love how we have a bazillion bands that tour and stay close to the crowd, for the most part, canadian artists aren't snobby.

I am really rather picky with my music, and i do find that alot of our Emo and Metal and popular rock is unoriginal, but not nearly all. In my opinion, we have the best rap scene in the world. While americans are generally rapping about thug life and 40's and bitches and money, we tend to be more modest, though our assholes are becoming more prominent. Fuck i hate Shawn Desmond.

We have waay more diversity then the flem that comes from the states, and anything original in america just turns into consumerized crap in a few years. If you dont agree then you should pursue the candain music scene more... the problem is so many ppl write off canadian music that it is hard for the smaller but very talented musicains to get their stuff out there. Take Teagan and Sara for example they have been around for years, their stuff is ten times better then lots of the stuff on the radio (even my mom agrees!), they've been on conan obrien, and mtv and they still RARELY (as in ive never heard them on the radio in ontario) get played. This is a problem, we as canadian have to support our homegrown talent by requesting them and encouraging djs and venues to play them, so that other ppl can hear it and love it too. Theres tons of really great candian music out there. Heres some of my fav's have a listen --> tegan and sara, the arcade fire, the dears, death from above 1979, Of montreal, Broken Social Scene, The Marble index, Dallas Green, The Organ, Martina Sorbara,and the Reason

Theres is tons im sure im forgetting and more i dont know of so please add to this list!!

YAY canadians!!!

yea, because the only bands coming from America are what you hear on the radio.

Fuck you, cunt.

Powderfinger are alright.. but there are also so many more Aussie bands: Bluebottle Kiss, Art of Fighting, End of Fashion, Regurgitator, Something For Kate................

But this is Canadian music scene thread so I'll stop there! ;)

YAY canadians!!!

Fuck you, cunt.

Im pretty sure that was completely uncalled for.

Obviously you're american

So why no suggestions to back up your claim that all i hear is on the radio???

please enlighten me to the music that someone like YOU listens too

Id be really surprised if you even listen to music at all im sure your too busy killing animals and robbing old ladies. You are completely disgusting.

YAY canadians!!!

Fuck you, cunt.

Id be really surprised if you even listen to music at all im sure your too busy killing animals and robbing old ladies. You are completely disgusting.

I'm sure that last sentence was equally uncalled for.

Anyways, to defend the state of American music, here are some of my favourite American bands:

The Strokes

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Weezer

Beulah

The Shins

Modest Mouse

Neutral Milk Hotel

Apples in Stereo

Of Montreal

Brian Wilson

Jeff Buckley

Ryan Adams

Just because crap dominates the mainstream, doesn't mean there isn't great stuff if you look around. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure most Canadians would be offended if someone judged Canadian music by Nickelback.

Debate over.

Living in Cleveland, I was lucky enough to be exposed to MuchMusic for a couple of years. I know Much isn't the greatest source of Canadian Music, but I was exposed to MGB, Limblifter, Tragically Hip, Moist, Tea Party, and Econoline Crush. This music was never played on American radio or television. To this day, I still burn the entire MGB Collection and Limblifter for friends and co-workers who like rock but have never been exposed to the Canadian music scene. Guess what, High Acclaim! The Canadian Bands also seem to make very unique and original music videos.

YAY canadians!!!

Fuck you, cunt.

I'm sure that last sentence was equally uncalled for.

Anyways, to defend the state of American music, here are some of my favourite American bands:

The Strokes

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Weezer

Beulah

The Shins

Modest Mouse

Neutral Milk Hotel

Apples in Stereo

Of Montreal

Brian Wilson

Jeff Buckley

Ryan Adams

Just because crap dominates the mainstream, doesn't mean there isn't great stuff if you look around. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure most Canadians would be offended if someone judged Canadian music by Nickelback.

Debate over.

I love how i had one sentence about american music and a whole paragraph about canadian music and people narrow in on something they can argue about so they can sound intelligent. Instead of adding to the positive side of disscusion they just figure out a way to prove someone wrong. The discussiopn was about canadian music and im sorry i brought up a snippet of opinon on the things across the border but really --> grow up. Think of an origanal postive thought if it wouldnt be to hard for you

"I love how i had one sentence about american music and a whole paragraph about canadian music and people narrow in on something they can argue about so they can sound intelligent"

I'm sure i'd still have made the comment if you hadn't said something completely ignorant, right?

and no, i'm not American.

futureisxrated: you get MuchMusic with standard cable in the States?

I apoligize for my ignorant comment i admit it was generalizing and too harsh. Its just discouraging when good musicans sell out so im sorry, I know there is still lots of good music in the states.

Anyways ive yet to hear your opinion, only your bad language... what else am i missing out on from the states and since the topic is canadian music do you have anything to add about that??

i can't dl any mp3's, where else could i find some?

record store ;)

I wouldn't buy an album by a band that i have never even heard of, no matter how many people reccomend it :angry:

And on another note, i don't know how i forgot to mention earlier... CLOSET MONSTER. They are an amazing canadian band, too bad no one knows them.