How do you feel about the Canadian music scene these days??  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canadian music scene these days??

• What Canadian music scene???
    • It sucks because theres a lack of diversity.
    • It's alright... but could be better.
    • Lately it's been good. New bands like metric/the stills rock!!
    • I prefer the good ol' days.

And on another note, i don't know how i forgot to mention earlier... CLOSET MONSTER. They are an amazing canadian band, too bad no one knows them.

or if they do know them, they know them as "that band that the old bassist for avril lavigne went to". ;)

So true, lol, and it's really too bad. I've seen them live twice now and have a couple of their cd's, they're one of my favourite bands.

Chandler... We did get MuchMusic here in that states from 1998-2001 on standard cable. It was basically one of the only channels that I would watch. Thankfully I was exposed to the Canadian music scene. I remember the day it went off the air here... I was in shock. Now, there is something called MuchMusic USA, but it is essentially a MTV copy, as only rap and popular music is played.

Chandler... We did get MuchMusic here in that states from 1998-2001 on standard cable. It was basically one of the only channels that I would watch. Thankfully I was exposed to the Canadian music scene. I remember the day it went off the air here... I was in shock. Now, there is something called MuchMusic USA, but it is essentially a MTV copy, as only rap and popular music is played.

i thought muchmusic usa had changed its name to fuse a year or two ago. and that it plays predominantly new rock and rap.

There's a few good shows left, like the Wedge, New Music, and Going Coastal. But anyways, back on topic...

Canada has an excellent music scene if you look enough. I agree completely that you can't judge the music that comes out of a country based solely on who happens to be the brightest flash in the pan at the moment, or who's been riding high on the charts the longest.

MuchMusic USA is now Fuse? I don't know. I don't have MMUSA or Fuse because it's on premium cable. I only have the basic cable and have never personally watched any MMUSA programs. A friend of mine who moved out west a year ago or so had MMUSA and told me it sucked ass. I'll take his word for it.

if its on the radio or tv then its not music for the sake music. its music for the sake of making money. thats why it all sounds the same, cause thats what sells. this is why the major label music industy sucks and has to go after kids who download mp3s to make money now

if its on the radio or tv then its not music for the sake music. its music for the sake of making money. thats why it all sounds the same, cause thats what sells. this is why the major label music industy sucks and has to go after kids who download mp3s to make money now

what kind of shitty, hippy ideal is THAT???

please don't knock the corporations and then don't offer any kind of suggestion as to how artists can get their music heard otherwise.

sure, there is such thing as radio consolidation, and it's bad. a lot of bands don't get exposed as a result. but you can't fucking tell people here that artists who get played don't make music for the music. they obviously don't make it for the money, since they really don't get any until touring comes around.

if you listen to a band who's made a career out of making music, regardless of radio play, they're pretty much in it for the money. anyone who tells you otherwise is either not making money or lying.

man please don't make outrageous claims. like "the major label music INDUSTY (yes, you said industy) sucks and has to go after kids who download mp3s to make money now"... right... the majors aren't making any money. sure. the only reason there was a decline in music sales when people started downloading was because it happened in a time of economic recession. there is no direct correlation between money loss and mp3 downloading.

see you at burning man, hippy.