Mouko

Most underrated Matthew Good/Band song?

Well, which do you think it would be?

Personally, I've never heard Change of Season or Native Son getting much recognition, and they're both excellent songs. Hell, I only recently noticed that Native Son has a drum solo and a bass solo, and I only read into the lyrics of Change of Season a little while ago.

So, what d'you think?

in general, I think (or I have the feeling) that most of the songs in the AOB have been underrrated... fall of man is an example, and "tripoli" is another one from that album

Edited by juanpe

two songs that were mentioned above;

Casual Walks and Tripoli.

i love both of those songs so much.

neither get much praise.

i also love While We Were Hunting Rabbits.

it's my absolute favorite song, yet i don't see many other fans who share my opinion.

Prime Time Deliverance is just amazing. It's really weird... I'll like a few songs on an album, and listen to them. At a later date, I'll listen to the others (good example: In A World Called Catastrophe) and think 'Damn, why didn't I like it before!?'.

but even after Beautiful midnight because I really think that AOB songs are very underrated... and for me it's their best album... probably even underrated by MGB because they don't seem to play many of the songs from that album - just looking at all the concerts on the Hub and you realize that AOB is almost "forgotten" in their concert list... and I miss listening to "the fall of man", "tripoli", and of course my favorite song ever "the rat who would be king"...

It took me a month to warm up to AOB when it first came out. But when I did finally fall for it, it was head-over-heels. my sister still hasn't quite clicked with AOB, she still says it's her least favorite MG album (but that still puts it 10 times higher than anything else)

AOB has been the only album of all that after the first time I listened, i didnt have a single song that didnt grow on me... I liked all of them (even the B-sides) from the very first time I listened to it...

it hasn't happened to me with the rest of the albums, for some of them I needed to listen to it twice, 3 times or even more to really like them, but with AOB it was some sorta "love at the first sight" ;)

I totally agree with The Inescapable Us. When I first got Underdogs I just looped that song over and over and forgot about the rest of the record.

Off the top of my head I'd say I Miss New Wave. They dropped it from the US version of Beautiful Midnight but it's one of the best songs the band ever did. And maybe Failing the Rorschach Test (though that's probably not so much underrated as it is underplayed at concerts).

And to whoever said the AOB stuff seems to be forgotten at concerts -- that's because the band broke up right after the record came out, and never toured it (except for playing a couple of songs the previous summer). And because the album holds so many unpleasant memories for Matt I don't think he wants to return to that material ever again.

-Sort of a protest song-

my favorite matt song. of all time! yes even more so then ones i have never heard, or have never been written yet! and as long as im making bold statements, I am your new master! bow down! bow down! (and so on)

Most under-rated songs?

LOTGA, Ommissions of the Omen, the hidden track definitely qualifies.

From Underdogs, there would be The Inescapable Us, which others have mentioned.

From BM, A Boy and His Machine Gun.

From Loser Anthems, Flashdance II, and The Fine Art of Falling Apart.

All of AOB, this album is a masterpiece, but especially The Workers Sing a Song of Mass Production. I listened to nothing but this CD for a whole year (I'm not kidding!) It never left my discman or CD player. The CD expressed perfectly where I was at that point in my life (very low) and helped me through.

From Avalanche, Double Life, and Long Way Down.

Matt himself I think is under-rated.

And his book is under-rated too.

yes, it's not only that some of his songs/albums are underrated... I also agree on the fact that Matt, as a singer, is also underrated... if people who don't even know how to sing (Britney Spears, for example) become famous worldwide, why can't Matt? guess it is a question of money and marketing...

I think the song and "Folk Singer" and "Heather's Like Sunday" are very underated songs from his early stage. I could pick a ton more, but being an American based fan...down here everything he does is pretty much ignored or underrated.