Biggie

State Of The Union Address

If you watch closely, you can also all audience members wanking Bush off at different times in the speech.

There are way too many standing ovations, not enough content. Worse yet, no details ever to be had. I once tried to watch a state of the union, and got confused as to which was supposed to be making more white noise, the audience or the president, so I gave up.

EDIT: interesting fact i learned, ever since Clinton, every single state of the union has contained the phrase "the state of our nation has never been stronger", etc, etc, etc.

Edited by ecnarf

so social security is going down the shitter? heres a concept- instead of spending billions of dollers on war, lets put that money in our debt we have HERE.

soldiers died for OUR freedom my ass! they are tring to liberate iraq how the hell does that help us? id like to know!

damn that guy pisses me off

I was impressed that he called for Saudi Arabia and Egypt to make democratic reforms. Plus, indicated that the US is going to put more pressure on Syria and Iran.

soldiers died for OUR freedom my ass! they are tring to liberate iraq how the hell does that help us? id like to know!

From the speech:

"The victory of freedom in Iraq will strengthen a new ally in the war on terror, inspire democratic reformers from Damascus to Tehran, bring more hope and progress to a troubled region, and thereby lift a terrible threat from the lives of our children and grandchildren."

Edited by Biggie

From the speech:

"The victory of freedom in Iraq will strengthen a new ally in the war on terror, inspire democratic reformers from Damascus to Tehran, bring more hope and progress to a troubled region, and thereby lift a terrible threat from the lives of our children and grandchildren."

Yeah, how very subtle. Funny how the only thing seperating Syria and Iran is Iraq.

Get on your liberation hat, kids.

That, and the calls for Saudi Arabia and others to make democratic reform were just there to appease democrats, perhaps.

Let's face it, no government in the united states is going to impose democracy in Saudi Arabia.

I skipped most of the speech. I couldn't stomach it anymore. "Freedom and equality for all, unless you're gay that is!" He makes me just want to scream. How can you spout on about equal rights for every citizen, then completely switch gears and say that you want an amendment banning gay marriage? Equality for all as long as you follow the rules! Frickin mind blowing. I especially loved the part when he subtlely hinted that those Judges on the Supreme Court Bench who are determined to fulfill their own political agendas on allowing gay marriage will be removed and replaced with more capable Judges who share the morals of every American who wants to preserve the sanctity of traditional marriage. So if you do not share the same values as the President you will be "removed"? Lovely! As I watched in awe last night, one thought kept running through my head...4 more years, 4 more years!

-Troy-

Dont forget that Bush has the chance to replace a few supreme court justices as they retire over the next few years. What was the number, again? I think 3 or 4, so Bush obviously has some serious power when it comes to the supreme court.

Dont forget that Bush has the chance to replace a few supreme court justices as they retire over the next few years. What was the number, again? I think 3 or 4, so Bush obviously has some serious power when it comes to the supreme court.

Yeah, that's more likely. Renquist will be dead soon, so there's at least one judge.

But even with appointment, his power isn't supreme. Congress has to approve, and the Democrats, while a minority, still have the ability to stall. Not to mention, there are a number of moderate Republicans who also don't want a rather right wing judge being appointed.

With current Senate rules, justices need 60 votes to get through a fillabuster (a tactic used by the minority party to block votes from occuring). The Republican Party has only 55 Senate seats, with a handful of their own not fully in Bush's court (Snow and Collins, for instance). So, whoever the nomination will be, he/she must get 6 votes from the Democrats which isn't an easy thing with the Senate being so polarized.

So, King Bush couldn't just "appoint" Supreme Court justices, as he cannot (with one exception that I know of) appoint federal judges.

I was disappointed by the address as well. His plan to privatize social security looks weak, and he does not set forth the correct moral argument for his plans. A worker's money is his own, not the government's. He also proposed several new spending plans and another budget increase.

But, it's not Armageddon. You will still exist 3.75 years from now. It's silly to think that way.