The Junos used to be semi respectable, but have since gone the way of American award shows. The "artists" in the award catergories aren't a representation of the best that is out there, but rather the best of what's hot right now and who has racked up the most $$. It's laughable really. I love how they round out the catergories with really great artists, but the award goes to some douche who definitely doesn't deserve it. Here's my favorite example. The song writers catergory. Please explain to me how Avril Lavigne gets nominated for song writer of the year? I like her music, but I wouldn't say the song writing on her record is "song writer of the year" quality. It was nice to see Ron Sexsmith in there though. Hopefully someone on the committee can pull their head out their asses for five minutes and recognize a true talent. I was disappointed by the video nominee's as well. I thought for sure Sarah Mcglaughin would get a nod for "world on fire", but apparently unless you have naked girls draped over bouncing cars and dudes smoking pot, then I guess your video isn't quite up to par with the other artistic genius'. Who's performing this year? Anyone worth while? I've only heard neil young and the hip so far.

-Troy-

whats the point of awarding people with "Best" when its Art. I'm not even trying to jock off Good when it comes to this either. It's pretty laughable when you consider what it is the Awards show is supposedly honouring . It's even more laughable when you consider the state of the music industry these days.

nominations here if anyone's curious

As usual, the larger categories are a disappointment (Simple Plan for Album of the Year? LOLLERSKATES), but some of the smaller categories recognized some good stuff that happened in canadian music this year. I'm really happy to see Buck 65 get a nod for songwriting.

I don't belive that co-songwriting devalues your worth as a legitimate writer. Avril Lavigne is crap, though.

I also didn't realize that Floria Sigismondi is canadian. That's awesome.

Although Matt Good's last record was...less than impressive...the Junos pretty clearly don't really like the man anyway, hence the lack of nods.

You're all a bunch of fanboys.

And I think I stopped watching the Junos the year they had the circus theme. It was a long time ago and I remember seeing Roch Voisine. It was an embarassment to Canadian music. Anybody else remember the damn circus theme?

And I think I stopped watching the Junos the year they had the circus theme. It was a long time ago and I remember seeing Roch Voisine. It was an embarassment to Canadian music. Anybody else remember the damn circus theme?

I've been trying to forget Roch Voisine for years...

Ack...I got bored after reading through a list of bands/songs/albums I've never heard of. The only Canadians I really care about right now are Sarah McLachlan and Matt Good. And Matt wasn't listed.

I think it's funny how the best category is probably "Best International Album".