HoboFactory

New 30 Seconds To Mars Album Announced

Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the LORD.

O daughter is old enough to be my mother, and I'd still hit that.

I heard 30 seconds at the 89x birthday bash in Detroit, MI. I really wasn't very impressed. They seemed to rock pretty hard but I was distracted by Jared Leto constantly saying "mother fucker" to the crowd.

Maybe I'll have to give them a listen if so many people think they are cool. I find it's hard for me to judge a group when I have only heard them live (i am hard of hearing and so lyrics are difficult for me to make out and I think lyrics are what really draws me in)

I thought it would take me more time (and more times to liste to it) for me to like it but actually i really like most of the songs, and the sound is "typical" of them (I still prefer their first album though)

as George Bush says in one of The Simpsons episodes (writing his memos): "good (memos) album, not great" ;)

even if you don't like it, you can't say that it isn't catchy.

I often have a lot of trouble getting into albums, then once i do, i love them. Maybe this will be the oposite, who knows. What don't you like about it?

A Beautiful Lie is pretty good...but like you all I dig the 1st album more. Through work I get free tix to pretty much any show I want so I scored a pair so my friend and I can go see 30STM open for Seether and Audioslave. As soon as 30STM is done....we outta there.

A Beautiful Lie is pretty good...but like you all I dig the 1st album more. Through work I get free tix to pretty much any show I want so I scored a pair so my friend and I can go see 30STM open for Seether and Audioslave. As soon as 30STM is done....we outta there.

Where the hell do you work?

I'd stay for Seether. I would think that they'd be a good band live.

i don't really like them too much. to me, they're linkin park if linkin park liked space rock more. very generic and derivative, but that's just me. i could always change my mind later on.

derivative not only musically but.... wait... what's this???

091805_30stmtoledo.jpg

IS THAT CORNSTARCH???!!!!

i rest my case.

not really, i could've said worse. i just compared them to a band whom i also think make nothing but derivative music. here's a list of other bands who i put in the same catagory: chevelle, taproot, trapt, seether and evanescence to name a few.

theres nothing new about their music, so why should i listen to it? wow, can you hear those groundbreaking quiet-loud dynamics? WHAT???!! he's screaming???! in a song? that's unheard of. LAYEREEDDD GUITARS???!! who do they think they are??! jared isn't that bad of a signer but i don't think he's anything special. if the band played as well as jared acts sometimes, then maybe i'd pay more attention.

i'm sure they might mean well, but they're trying too hard to be something, or profound, when in fact they're offerring nothing in exchange for the listener's time.

they're most likely to be one of those bands who are on a soundtrack for a film that paul walker is in. you know, all the ones where he plays the same guy and lives his life "a quarter mile at a time".

Edited by borntohula

Actually it's a nice change of pace to see an actor that is multi-faceted so to speak...how many other actors are in good bands?

Maybe you're a musician but maybe you're not. As someone that spends hours with people writing music and using programs such as Reason, I think the first 30STM album is insanely deep. In certain songs I heard that the band would re-record an entire take just because the ADSR envelope of a certain key wasn't long enough. Talk about wanting to do your best...that's perfectionism to a T.

If you don't like them, that's cool. But I wouldn't call them derivative. Art and music in general is derivative to a certain extent. Every artist takes from other artists and to that extent, Matt Good is as well. Does that make Matt's music any less amazing? Hells no. It's how they put their own spin on it.

Spend some time with someone like me or my keyboardist and listen to him talk about how great the first and the new 30STM albums are put together. Not just someone who listens to music a lot, but someone who makes it. And let them listen to the layered guitars. A nanosecond delay on both sides of a guitar track makes the best effect. I could talk geek about it for hours...

Actually it's a nice change of pace to see an actor that is multi-faceted so to speak...how many other actors are in good bands?

Maybe you're a musician but maybe you're not. As someone that spends hours with people writing music and using programs such as Reason, I think the first 30STM album is insanely deep. In certain songs I heard that the band would re-record an entire take just because the ADSR envelope of a certain key wasn't long enough. Talk about wanting to do your best...that's perfectionism to a T.

If you don't like them, that's cool. But I wouldn't call them derivative. Art and music in general is derivative to a certain extent. Every artist takes from other artists and to that extent, Matt Good is as well. Does that make Matt's music any less amazing? Hells no. It's how they put their own spin on it.

Spend some time with someone like me or my keyboardist and listen to him talk about how great the first and the new 30STM albums are put together. Not just someone who listens to music a lot, but someone who makes it. And let them listen to the layered guitars. A nanosecond delay on both sides of a guitar track makes the best effect. I could talk geek about it for hours...

produce my album.

i am a musician, and i do notice and appreciate when effort is put in by an artist, certainly.

at the same time, after hearing "beautiful lie" i can't help but think that they went overboard. the production itself on the album is well done, but it feels incredibly sterile. i think that translates into how i think they sound derivative or generic. theres no grit... or mood...

that coupled with the fact that i don't like the music whatsoever, and i don't end up with a pleasant experience.

im a fan of perfectionists, don't get me wrong... i love nine inch nails, there's a perfectionist for you. but, i dont believe that the more time you spend in a studio, the better your record will be. jack white pops in and out of the studio in two weeks and manages to make incredbly consistent records. nick cave & the bad seeds have been putting out albums almost once a year since the 80s, and they're all great.

i realize that music is inherently derivative... you can't go forward without knowing where you came from. the beatles are a prime example of that. so are led zeppelin. at the same time, they did variations of the contemporary and eventually changed it to suit their needs. as far as 30STM are concerned, last album they sounded like they wished they had been born a decade earlier, and nothing has changed since then. they have no spin to put on it. what's worse is that they truly believe their music is revolutionary.