Crusader

Your Questions For Mg

Just because he chooses not to make mainsteam music makes him a hasbeen?? If I'm not mistaken.. didnt both Avalanche and WLRRR debut in the top5.. maybe I'm old-fashioned, but hasbeens dont make it that high on the charts in record sales.

Dear Matthew Good:

1) Is it embarassing for you to have a board like this one devoted to you?  I ask this because in the past, when you were a somebody, there have been some quality communities dedicated to you.  These communities contained a decent percentage of intelligent people.  Having a group of rational beings interested in you must have been a great ego boost.  Most of these quality boards have dropped your name and have long since moved on, while this one remains as a hangout for fanboys and girls that will love you no matter what you do.  Do you believe that you have driven away most of what was your educated audience and all that remains are those that are too naive to realize that you're a has-been?

2) Is it a more than a coincidence that said boards (the good ones affiliated with you) existed almost exclusively before your solo "career"?  After you ruined MGB the quality of your music made a turn for the worse  This suggests to me that, although you have publically come down on them, Dave Genn and Ian Brown were major factors in your music.  With them no longer around, and upon listening to WLRRR (and to a lesser extent, Avalanche) it is clear that you will never again produce like you did before.  Do you agree?

3) Do you remember when the quality communities would have similar Q&A sessions like this one?  Many of those questions were both relevant and intelligent.  Are you bothered that what remains of your fanbase are interested in things like:

"Would your wiener dogs like to meet my wiener dog?"

"Why do you rent an apartment instead of buying a house or condo?"

"Do you have any specific plans for the future between you and Jenny?"

"Did you celebrate Chinese New Year? What animal was the year you were born in?"

"What kind of beer do you drink?"

And so on.

4) I could be mistaken, but I'm sure early on in your career you would have denounced the possibility of ever making a "greatest hits album."  Why then are you releasing one?  Could it be that, at the time, you never imagined that you would make so many bad decisions in a row that would ultimately result in the end of your career?  Once, you mentioned that if it ever did happen, it would be full of songs like Invasion 1 for the "hardcore" fans.  Will the upcoming greatest hits album actually be full of MGB non-singles or do you plan on rereleasing all your singles along with some garbage solo material?

That's all for now.

Thanks, NearFantastica, for granting me the opportunity to ask the questions that I ponder day and night.  It's a terrible feeling to have all these unknowns in my life.  I'm sure most of you know the feeling.

Take care.

If you don't like him anymore and don't care about what he thinks, then why bother asking the questions unless you yourself actually do care about his opinions?

Why bother to even post on a message board dedicated to him? Why not just do your own thing and forget about him?

Why not go elsewhere?

His opinion must still carry some weight with you or else you wouldn't even bother asking. So why play this game?

Edited by Circum

Hey Tristan, welcome to the Bored, but you're a fucking asshole.

If people want to ask silly questions, then fine. These questions don't get asked in real interviews, so if people want to know this stuff, here's their chance. If people like an artist, then it's natural to be curious about that artist. He can choose what he wnats to answer and what he doesn't.

Some of the questions were jokes and asked with abit of fun or sarcasm. Taking everything so seriously doesn't do you any good. Crusader went through the list and picked the best ones, so the silly ones probably got left out.

So if you want ot come on here and post your opinions, fine. Just don't rag on other people for posting what they want. It's not up to you.

number 3 is bang-on.

Also, I would just like to make it clear that I have not slagged Matt personally once (in reference to that post a page or two back). I like to think I'm on decent terms with the man and he knows full-well that I don't think WLRRR is his best work. For that fact I have even more respect for him (rather than the people here who register it as a personal attack and jump at the chance to defend his honour).

That said I've wasted enough time going back and forth in this thread and on this board.

So if you want ot come on here and post your opinions, fine. Just don't rag on other people for posting what they want. It's not up to you.

So you're ragging on him for ragging on others?

Alright, I'm out.

Edited by OWJeeves

Some of the questions were jokes and asked with abit of fun or sarcasm. Taking everything so seriously doesn't do you any good. Crusader went through the list and picked the best ones, so the silly ones probably got left out.

How do you know that his questions weren't meant to be fun and/or sarcastic?

How quickly we judge....

Dear Matthew Good:

1) Is it embarassing for you to have a board like this one devoted to you? I ask this because in the past, when you were a somebody, there have been some quality communities dedicated to you. These communities contained a decent percentage of intelligent people. Having a group of rational beings interested in you must have been a great ego boost. Most of these quality boards have dropped your name and have long since moved on, while this one remains as a hangout for fanboys and girls that will love you no matter what you do. Do you believe that you have driven away most of what was your educated audience and all that remains are those that are too naive to realize that you're a has-been?

2) Is it a more than a coincidence that said boards (the good ones affiliated with you) existed almost exclusively before your solo "career"? After you ruined MGB the quality of your music made a turn for the worse This suggests to me that, although you have publically come down on them, Dave Genn and Ian Brown were major factors in your music. With them no longer around, and upon listening to WLRRR (and to a lesser extent, Avalanche) it is clear that you will never again produce like you did before. Do you agree?

3) Do you remember when the quality communities would have similar Q&A sessions like this one? Many of those questions were both relevant and intelligent. Are you bothered that what remains of your fanbase are interested in things like:

"Would your wiener dogs like to meet my wiener dog?"

"Why do you rent an apartment instead of buying a house or condo?"

"Do you have any specific plans for the future between you and Jenny?"

"Did you celebrate Chinese New Year? What animal was the year you were born in?"

"What kind of beer do you drink?"

And so on.

4) I could be mistaken, but I'm sure early on in your career you would have denounced the possibility of ever making a "greatest hits album." Why then are you releasing one? Could it be that, at the time, you never imagined that you would make so many bad decisions in a row that would ultimately result in the end of your career? Once, you mentioned that if it ever did happen, it would be full of songs like Invasion 1 for the "hardcore" fans. Will the upcoming greatest hits album actually be full of MGB non-singles or do you plan on rereleasing all your singles along with some garbage solo material?

That's all for now.

Thanks, NearFantastica, for granting me the opportunity to ask the questions that I ponder day and night. It's a terrible feeling to have all these unknowns in my life. I'm sure most of you know the feeling.

Take care.

Lurkers can't have opinions. When you've posted a bit more your opinion may actually have some validity. But for now, if you don't like it then don't post/come here.

You don't know Matt and you don't know us. You can't judge anyone here. You're no better than anyone here.

Lurkers can't have opinions. When you've posted a bit more your opinion may actually have some validity. But for now, if you don't like it then don't post/come here.

You don't know Matt and you don't know us. You can't judge anyone here. You're no better than anyone here.

What you said there makes no sense at all. 'Lurkers can't have opinions'? Dude, what the fuck is that? I don't agree with him really badmouthing people (well, except #3, he's dead on with that), but the guy does have the right to state his opinion.

Seems to me like Crusader here is trying to be a dictator. Well my friend, you are a tool.

Some of the questions were jokes and asked with abit of fun or sarcasm.  Taking everything so seriously doesn't do you any good.  Crusader went through the list and picked the best ones, so the silly ones probably got left out.

How do you know that his questions weren't meant to be fun and/or sarcastic?

How quickly we judge....

Because I've been a part of this community for a long time and I know the people and their sense of humour. And some of the questions were mine. As if I think Crusdaer's actually going to ask Matt if his dogs want to meet mine.

And Crudaer's absolutely right. This is some guys first post. he doesn't know anyone here and no one knows him. Not a cool way to make an entrance.

And yes, I am ragging on him about ragging on others. But I'm doing it defending this community, he's just being a negative asshole.

I think there are too many people being a tad bit negative here lately. A lot of the old posters seem to be posting less and less because everyone just attacks everyone else. It pisses me off. A little razzing is fine, but it gets a bit out of hand sometime.

How about poop, can we call him a poop?

And he's watching us, I'm just waiting to see what he has to say.

Edited by pearanoid

Fact: Matthew Good's career is not nearly as prosporous as it was during the BM days.

BM has sold approximately 250,000 copies.

WLRRR has sold about 1/10th of that.

Furthermore, his last single, Its Been Awhile Since I've Been Your Man, was played a grand total of twice on MuchMoreMusic. Remember when HTB and LMU were played to the max on MuchMusic? He's come a long way since winning those MMVAs back in 2000...

I believe that releasing a greatest hits album is a sign that Universal is trying to make one last buck off him before tossing him to the side. Because he's including some solo material on the album it looks like he's using the MGB name (which, unlike MG's, is still pretty solid) to pimp his solo work.

He's a has-been.

Callin MG a has-been is about as close as I've come to slagging the man personally. And to call him that is true. If you guys don't want to admit that, then I guess that's your problem.

If you don't like him anymore and don't care about what he thinks, then why bother asking the questions unless you yourself actually do care about his opinions?

He's a good guy, for the mostpart. I didn't say I didn't like him as a person, only that his music has gone downhill.

Why bother to even post on a message board dedicated to him? Why not just do your own thing and forget about him? Why not go elsewhere?

So because I don't worship the ground he walks on, I shouldn't post here?

His opinion must still carry some weight with you or else you wouldn't even bother asking. So why play this game?

Of course his opinion carries weight. He was once a pretty big musician, he has lots of experience in a variety of things, so why not ask? I'll be the first to admit that I will read the 40 questions once their posted.

Where do I start. Most of my first post was factual. Parts of it may sound opinionated, but it was all more or less based of facts that you will or will not accept. Calling me a lurker is also unfair. I rarely read this board. This thread was brought to my attention by somebody, so I read it. Having done so, and from browing a few other threads, I've got the impression that many of the people on this board do not post as well as people I've seen in the past, and I've been around awhile. Having your leader state that "lurkers can't have opinions" is bizarre. Is this because we may not agree with what you have to say? Are you afraid that someday a lurker will bring up some valid points that you'll only be able to refute by downplaying his credibility?

So what if I want to shake things up and shed some light on some of the things this communities shoves under the carpet? If you want to call me negative for doing so, then fine. It's not me who needs to give his head a shake.

Why is there such a need to shake things up? If you don't like how people post on this board, then why do you come here? If you want to participate then that's great, but I don't see why it has to be at the expense of other people. And yes, your post may have been facutal, but the context in which you made your points was negative, hence the negative comment.

He's a has-been.

Some of us (not all of us, but some) don't care for labels like "has-been."

"Has been" what, exactly? Popular? You've pointed that out well. I'd agree with you there. But since when did popularity matter? I'm sure you know that popularity is a piss-poor measure of musical quality (witness Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and countless others).

There are some artists that, even when in what some people call a period of decline, are better than most of their contemporaries could hope to be. I consider Matthew Good to be one of those artists - he's not alone in that. But maybe you disagree, and that's okay by me.

And really, don't bring up MuchMusic when you're talking about music and expect to be taken seriously. They are less relevant and substantial (when you step back and evaluate the quality of their programming and messages) than ever.

To take a counter point to the standard argument on this board: I agree with you. I'm not going to debate whether or not Matt is still a big name artist. What you will find is that most people on this bored are the ones who bought WLR&RR. In fact your will find that for the most part, people here LIKED WLR&RR. So your likely to receive responses that take offense to you ripping down Matt. The majority of people here still like Matt's work, and don't need him to sell a 1/4 million albums to do so.

I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll stop now. I think my point is that if your going to be negative, you have to expect a portion of THIS community to react in the way you have been seeing.

Peace

If you read my post following that, you'll see my retraction. I'm not trying to downplay your credibility at all. I'm only questioning your actions. I'm only weighing others opinions over yours as you've never participated in this community. How am I supposed to know if you're not just another trollop?

It's completely unfair of you to call all the posters on this board a "fanboy" or "fangirl". Not everyone here fawns over everything Matthew has written or performed. He's just a person, everyone knows that.

It seems more that you've just got a problem and are trying to vent it out on some random people over the internet.

Your negativity isn't shaking any things up. I admit we've had some problems in the past but we've always got through them.

I originally started this thread to get some questions off of the fans. I did. I also requested that these questions be positive and unoffensive. May I also note that we ended our request for more questions a few pages back. But you didn't really ask any questions, you just slagged our board and community.

Like everyone's been saying: if you don't like what you see here then don't come here. If you have a problem with this website and forum then contact me personally. Don't just slag all the work we've spent on building this from the ground up.

Some of us (not all of us, but some) don't care for labels like "has-been."

Technically, i used said labels because they were a part of my question. I was trying get at what it was like to be a has-been.

And really, don't bring up MuchMusic when you're talking about music and expect to be taken seriously. They are less relevant and substantial (when you step back and evaluate the quality of their programming and messages) than ever.

I completely agree. Alot of MuchMusic's programming is pure crap. But one could argue that even they are clever enough to stay away from MG's downward spiral. ;)

I think my point is that if your going to be negative, you have to expect a portion of THIS community to react in the way you have been seeing.

This is pretty much the reaction I anticipated.

It seems more that you've just got a problem and are trying to vent it out on some random people over the internet.

I don't really have a problem in particular. I'm not sure why you're catching that drift, because I've kept my composure pretty much the whole time.

I originally started this thread to get some questions off of the fans. I did. I also requested that these questions be positive and unoffensive. May I also note that we ended our request for more questions a few pages back. But you didn't really ask any questions, you just slagged our board and community.

I did so ask questions. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less valid. Because the first few pages of this thread were painful to read, I skipped the rest and wrote my post. I didn't know the Q&A session was over. My apologies for that.