Crusader

Your Questions For Mg

Like I said earlier, you proceeded to call everyone here a "fanboy" or a"fangirl" then you went on to call Matthew a has been. Has been or not that was offensive to a majority of the community.

Now that I think of it, this seems more and more like a personal attack on MG and this site.

Nice, tristan, you totally sidestepped the main point I was making, namely that popularity has little relation to quality. You touched on my peripheral points only. And even though Crusader's opinion of you is more extreme than mine, your posts are making me want to agree with him.

Edited by pvnc

The differentiation between MGB and MG is ridiculous.

The one constant factor throughout the records have been MG.

If all the records were to be made of the same sound and lyrics, how boring would that be.

When bands play the same old music style over and over again they become predictable and in my opinion dull.

Let's remember, MG is not much different than anyone else.

We all change and evolve through time and it shows in what we do,

whatever that may be.

Sometimes an improvement, sometimes not, but most often it is rarely the same.

And criticizing by way of typical calling down such as 'has-been' is just close-minded and childish.

Although...Billy Shatner has cornered the market on 'has-been' and with that reinvigorated his identity and career.

Hmmmm.

I would like to add my american two-cents to this dialogue...

I am personally thankful to MuchMusic for exposing me to MGB in 1997. I saw the Apparitions video my first semester of College and have been a fan of MG/MGB since. I have purchased all MG/MGB cd's except lo-fi. I am still pleased by the quality of music he puts out. It's better than anything american I've heard in quite some time.

MG primarily sells all of his records in Canada. Very few people know of his work outside Canada. To sell 250K records is a grand feat, especially in the age of downloads. Unfortunately, most people jump on the popularity bandwagon. You see this in school and in music. If Much plays Matt, Matt sells records. Radio airplay = record sales. If Much stays away from Matt, Matt sells records to those who are MG fans. Musicians fall off the radar for various reasons and bandwagon fans forget about them. Their loss.

It's great to sell a ton of records, but it's not the only factor that determines a great musician. Look at Ashlee Simpson... I'm sure she has outsold all MG/MGB works, but she is a hack, and that was before she was caught lip syncing. Most people out there have no comprehension of what is "good" and what is "bad." They buy records off of what they hear on the radio and see on tv. This is the mass market. Drone consumers. MG doesn't need to appeal to the masses to be a legitimate musician.

To call him a has-been is an idiotic remark. A has-been is somebody who no longer comes close to producing the quality of work that once was that person's gold standard. One could argue that MG makes better music without MGB. I think WLRRR is better than Raygun, LOTGA, and Avalanche. I say it is the equal of AoB, but not better than Underdogs or BM. Every person I know who likes rock music and who has never heard MG loves WLRRR. They all say the same thing... It's better than anything out there now.

namely that popularity has little relation to quality.

Thats exactly right, to cite an example take a look at van gogh probally one of the best impresionalist artist ever and he never sold a single painting when he was alive.

I also have to say while SOME of tristans points are valid, I dont think coming out of nowhere, and berating us was the best way to broach the subject.

Just like I dont give a rats ass what Mike moore has to say about canadian society, I dont give a shit what someone who's only posted 4 times has to say about our opnions and choice to be a big fan of MG

Edited by calgarydave