Dan #3

Who Else Hates The Hip

Do you hate The Tragically Hip  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate The Tragically Hip

• Yes
    • No
    • Meh

The hip ar meDiocer in mey minde but thei aare a grate band wyth one hel ov a persunnnalittty. I fownd the showz a littel bowring, becuase ime not a hug fan i gesss.

ym happee thei arr Cunadi-in and not lynkun Parc

bobcaygeon sucked. its the first hip song i ever heard and it made me hate them immensely for many many years. but they are growing on me so i like them now. ive gotten past the fact that they aren't just bobcaygeon and some of their stuff is pretty damn good. i still hate that song though.

canadians have mullets?

I've seen plenty more of my american countrymen with mullets than Canadians. Down here, we have the female mullet to go along with the sponsor-endorsing nascar jackets that are all the rage.

On a side note, I find it humorous that the current trendy rage for blacks in the states is to wear NASCAR jackets. Support your local redneck ;) member by buying his jacket.

How's it feel like to live underneath a rock?

When making fun of someone, please try to form sentences that don't make you sound like a total dildo.

EDIT: And as for the post above, I find it funny that the trendy rage for all the American whites is to refer to the "blacks" as a single entity with no individuals. That's so retro.

Edited by pearanoid

i don't really like much of their stuff. they're good, but... i don't know how people associate the hip with canada...

they can write some good stuff. other stuff i find just generic, boring, and annoying.

god forbid i actually disagree with the people who aren't allowed to have a mind of their own...

so i picked meh.

new orleans is sinking, i like. and some other ones i can't think of.

a lot of their other stuff i strongly dislike...

want good canadian music? let's see... if you're looking for the hip and stuff like that...

try neil young. by far superior.

or, of course, there's always a certain matthew good... but my mentioning of him would be a cliche and a definite no on this forum...

I think The Hip are one of the best bands ever, because they

A) Play stuff that's very thoughtful and introspective

B ) Play stuff thats Rockin' and Party/Radio friendly.

C) Blatently write songs that are Canadian in their worldview, and obviously that's going to incorporate a certain view of America.

D) Don't try to write songs that sound too much different that what we'd expect from them to make them more Us radio-friendly.

E) Put on an AMAZINGLY entertaining show, completely pretentious-free, and play their instruments solidly.

But, as I am Canadian, I have to tack this on the end so those of us not so polite don't jump down my throat.

"That's just me, I could be wrong."

Edited by Kayriss

The Hip are so closely associated with Canada because they are very open about being Canadian and don't try to be anything else. They write about Canada and (surprise!) Canadians like that. It's not often we can show pride in our country without also displaying our crippling inferiority complex (beer commercials).

I've really been enjoying their new album, and it translates really well into their live show. They could really only go up after In Violet Light, which is easily my least favourite album of theirs. That said, it has a couple really good songs on it, but In Between Evolution is a great improvement.