Ruettiger

Religion, Evolution, The Big Bang!

So explain your beliefs about all of this. Personally I am an atheist, I believe in evolution and the big bang theory. I don't mind religion or religous people as long as they don't attempt to "convert" me or push their beliefs on me. I also think people should do some research before they make a definite decision rather than just to blindly follow something just to "fit in" or whatever.

Discuss.

i'm a passably religious person, raised as a Christian, with beliefs in Taoist and Bhuddist philosophies (since we're bringing religion into this).

i agree with the theory of evolution, and i consider the Big Bang (or Big Burp, or whatever they're calling it, these days) to be the best current cosmological explanation of the origin of the Universe. do note that the Big Bang has its holes, though.

last i read, there was considerable discussion as to how matter and anti-matter were created simultaneously, without eradicating each other sufficiently to have limited the development of the Universe to much less than we now see.

Atheist, yes evolution, never gave any thought to the big bang theory, so I don't really know... anything about it. This might be one of those things they should be teaching us in science.

For me, it's a leap of faith to specifically not believe that the universe came from a divine being - similar to the way that it's a leap of faith for people to believe in a god.

i agree with you. aside from being an agnostic, and simply being skeptical of all viewpoints (or simply unsure), basically any sort of belief pertaining to Universal (or terrestrial) origins or the (non-)existence of a god (or more than one, whatever), must be faith-based. if you can't prove it, it's faith-based.

atheism, just like Islam, Judaism, Bhuddism, Christianity, Hinduism, and the Heaven's Gate cult, is a matter of faith. but then again, so's reliance on the principle of induction, it's just tricky to talk about.

[edited for a typo]

Edited by cringleman

i see your point. clearly, any sort of supreme being would likely try to make itself known to any forms of life it created. but it's hard to say what kinds of religion another form of life (extra-terrestrial, we're talking, here) would take on, if any.

however, who's to say that all forms of theistic (god-worshipping) religion don't believe in the same god(s) but have different interpretations thereof? any message, interpreted by humans is bound to be misunderstood, to some degree, at some point, which could account for a lot of variety in religion. much like interpretations of experimental data in cutting-edge physics.

would sentient extra-terrestrial beings' faith in a strange, out-there type of religion necessarily indicate that all religion is baseless, anyway? it's really just indicative of uncertainty, which is a pretty clear-cut concept, philosophically-speaking.

[the following was added in the edit; clearly i should've refreshed my browser before posting]

given the astronomical (no pun intended) number of planets in the galaxy (let alone the Universe), and the Darwinian idea that life can basically adapt to most things, difficult though it may be, i'd think that it's fairly probably that there's at least life out there, somewhere. however, it's hard to say about sentient life, because it's hard to say how that comes about, anyway. maybe dolphins are sentient, and we just don't know (what are the criteria for it? would you reveal yourself as sentient to us? i wouldn't, probably.)

i'd like to think there's sentient life out there, though.

Edited by cringleman

i was raised Catholic/Christian or whatever. Don't go to church. But i believe in God, and also believe in evolution at the same time.

I'm not a big bible-reader either, but i think most of the Old Testament is parables and not to be taken too literally. The New Testament seems more realistic, but i still don't have 100% faith in the accuracy of what has written almost 2000 years ago and passed down through generations. However, i still believe in Jesus and that he did exist.

I am also open to other religions, such as Buddhism. Spirituality is a good thing to have (unless it leads to violence).

There is evolution in the bible:

Genesis 1:11

And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

Genesis 1:24

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

I am atheist. Seriously, which is more practical? We gradually grew up to be humans, or POP we were here. Come on...

I have this douchebag on my bus that voices his opinions in the name of god. "God hates piercings because he wants you to retain your natural form" and he spews forth crap like "Homosexuals choose to be gay." It's the army of religous fanatics like him that make religion so pathetic.

I was raised Catholic, and i went to Holy Family Seperate School, in Alliston, Ontario. Can you say "Heil Jesus." Worst 5 years of my life. The conformity, the lack of questioning and the blind faith is just terrible. If you want to be a Christian, go ahead. Just realize, that some things need to be questioned.

There are things that i don't believe in, in regards to evolution, that are considered 'fact,' but i still believe in evolution as a whole.

No matter what you do, hold your head high, but not so high that you are oblivious to your sorroundings.

Dan out/

I think being an Atheist is as foolish as believing in a God. There's no [no] proof either way, so to be resolute either way is to be ignorant of possible change in information down the road.

Agnostic is the only reasonable belief considering what we know. My money's on no-God, though.

Edited by Jaded Monkey™

Atheists don't believe there's a God. Agnostics realize there's no way to be sure either way [right now], and sit on the fence.

You don't have to pick a side, folks.

Edited by Jaded Monkey™

I think being an Atheist is as foolish as believing in a God. There's no [no] proof either way, so to be resolute either way is to be ignorant of possible change in information down the road.

Agnostic is the only reasonable belief considering what we know. My money's on no-God, though.

Thanks for that.

I'm sorry I was excercising my right to my own beliefs.

I am atheist. Seriously, which is more practical? We gradually grew up to be humans, or POP we were here. Come on...

You don't have to believe in Adam and Eve to believe in God, or a higher power.

I believe that there's a God, but i definately don't think we just "pop" arrived here. I believe in Darwinist evolution for the most part. Its just a thoery but its the best science can gather to what our origins are. Same with the Big Bang.

I went through a time when i was a teenager when i didn't really believe in God anymore(which is normal). But certain events happened in my life that made me believe again, and believe in the power of prayer.

I have no problem with athiests either. My dad is an athiest and he's lived a wonderfully happy little life. Whatever works for people is good.