Sign in to follow this  
ToadMan

Anonymity And Pseudonymity

I'm currently doing some research on the topic of internet anonymity. There are some interesting ideas, which can be seen as a microcosm right here on NF. Mainly, that anonymity, or in NF's case pseudonymity allow people to act in a way that they may not act in 'real world' situations. Most research suggests that since your pseudonym identity is not directly related to your 'real world' identity, then you are likely to act without certain behavioral bounds.

I brought up this idea in the "It's a Sin" discussion, in a suggestion as to why that poll is so honest. I believe that since most of us are not face to face, then we don't feel any real threat in divulging that kind information. I think it's something people certainly wouldn't stand on stage and announce to the world.

Likewise we can see another aspect of pseudonymity at work here on NF: outrageous behavior. Maybe I'm naive, but I certainly thing that if this where a real world situation, certain members (I'm thinking Uncle Jam, and the likes) would not act in the same way. The studies suggest that in the online world, there is little fear of reprisal, as compared to the real world.

So what are your thoughts on internet anonymity and pseudonymity. Would you compose your posts differently if you knew I could find out where you lived?

Peace

Edited by ToadMan

I figure the reason people tend to be more "open" in forums as opposed to the real world is because in most cases they're not necessarily personally familiar with the other members, and as a result care less what others think. Because they can't in most cases be seriously held accountable for how they act or what they say.

Perhaps people are actually being more fake than in their normal realm of life. After all, I've been on many message boards where members feel the need to run down other members' social lives, which would naturally run contrary to theirs. The one thing that's puzzling about it is that those are some of the people that are on these boards more frequently. I haven't been to many crazy parties that boasted Internet access.

Either way, I say take whatever reality from the Internet you can get. It's a tenuous grasp at best.

Cheers,

Grizz

I think as far as the internet goes, you can group people into 3 groups. First off there's people who are going to be exactly the same as they are in real life. I like to think that I mostly fit into this category. I dont say/do anything differnt online than I would IRL.

The second group are people who are going to be more honest with themselves and everyone else. (ie the its a sin thread) cause they dont have to worry about the shame our society places on certain things.

Thirdy is a group of ppl, who I think we know a couple ppl on here who fit into this group. ITs an extension of the second group. Where this people w/o the fear and shame take it a step further and try and test the limits of those around them online. Some of these ppl probally do the same thing IRL but the line is drawn at a completly different spot, so their behaviour comes across as being assholes.

I brought up this idea in the "It's a Sin" discussion, in a suggestion as to why that poll is so honest.  I believe that since most of us are not face to face, then we don't feel any real threat in divulging that kind information.  I think it's something people certainly wouldn't stand on stage and announce to the world.

i think the reason people are so honest is because its just a masturbation poll, and its something that everyone does

im pretty sure that almost everyone here is at an age where theyre over being embarassed about it, or thinking theres something wrong with it, so why not just be honest and say you do it?

if you asked me in real life, of course i would tell you i do it, i mean, if i said i didnt youd know i was lying anyway, because EVERYONE DOES IT, so whats the point in trying to pretend?

Would you compose your posts differently if you knew I could find out where you lived?

nope

my posts are my thoughts, or my opinions, or possibly just random babbling.. all of which are things i voice in real life anyway, so i dont feel a need to try to hide behind a computer screen

and you probably COULD find out where i lived, if you tried

I brought up this idea in the "It's a Sin" discussion, in a suggestion as to why that poll is so honest.  I believe that since most of us are not face to face, then we don't feel any real threat in divulging that kind information.  I think it's something people certainly wouldn't stand on stage and announce to the world.

i think the reason people are so honest is because its just a masturbation poll, and its something that everyone does

im pretty sure that almost everyone here is at an age where theyre over being embarassed about it, or thinking theres something wrong with it, so why not just be honest and say you do it?

if you asked me in real life, of course i would tell you i do it, i mean, if i said i didnt youd know i was lying anyway, because EVERYONE DOES IT, so whats the point in trying to pretend?

Would you compose your posts differently if you knew I could find out where you lived?

nope

my posts are my thoughts, or my opinions, or possibly just random babbling.. all of which are things i voice in real life anyway, so i dont feel a need to try to hide behind a computer screen

and you probably COULD find out where i lived, if you tried

if this broad is anything like she is online in real life, then i'd never let her go

if this broad is anything like she is online in real life, then i'd never let her go

you are the man of my dreams

<3

If i didnt think id get weird 4 am phone calls and stalkers id be more than willing to post my full name, address, where i work and telephone number. i dont give a shit if people know who i am or not, im no different on here than i am in person really.

its actually no secret where i work, Fox and Feather Pub

ive already met several board members and i havent heard a bad thing from them yet so i guess im not the bitch im perceived to be

ive already met several board members and i havent heard a bad thing from them yet so i guess im not the bitch im perceived to be

is that downtown?

if i still lived in ottawa, i'd hope that you would

too bad that you dont, stay away from her OMG ILL CUT YOU GOOD

is that downtown?

Elgin St.

right across from Bravo Bravo and Sugar Mountain.

It's true. Most people are different talking on the internet then they are in real life. The reason for this is that the repercussions of your actions on the internet are far less devastating.

Another thing about it is the ability it gives a person. No person, no matter how much may they try to, believes they are perfect. Everybody has something that they'd like to change about themselves, whether it be physically, socially, personality wise or any other trait a person holds. Some people wish they were tougher, some wish they could speak more openly about certain things, etc. The anonymity of the internet allows a user to be this looking-glass self without facing any consequences and also provides a better ability to cover up when you're trying to bullshit someone.

Take the "being tougher" example. Few people that would talk shit to you on a message board would ever do it to your face. Why? Because while doing it on the internet, they don't have to worry that you're going to respond with either (a) a fist to their face or (b ) an immediate verbal retaliation that they can't respond to and would cause them embarrasment among their peers.

So yes, people are different on the internet because they focus more on what they can ideally be rather than what they actually are.

Edited by unspoken

that's the best thing i've seen all day...

and yeah, the internet is a mixed bag of sorts. i'm more liable to rip my guts out on here for everyone to see the real me. maybe it's because i don't know you. or you don't know me. maybe it's because if you judge me i won't give a damn, because i can just shut you out with the click of a button. sure, it may be a fallacy, but that's how it is.

in person, i know i'm usually a lot (like, a lot) more shy and reserved. i'll make no bones about it. people scare me. not like, scare me, but i'm not comfortable around them. ever feel like everyone is ripping you up inside? maybe i'm just paranoid, but i can read volumes in a cold glare. i can see it in their eyes. they are hating me for being somebody they don't even know. not like i really care about their opinion. i just wish they'd screw off. body language wise, i walk around and avoid making eye contact, for the most part. i find myself often looking at the floor. i need time alone. i'm nervous when in large groups. presenting is dogma to me. the only presentation that went really well was last year in grade ten. for those of you who have read Vonnegut's Player Piano, well, maybe you'll know why. finnerty is someone i can relate to, in many ways. i did a monologue as finnerty. the depressed, burnt out drunkard with no direction. nothing left. dark humour. pushing on somehow.

that isn't to say that i don't want to be with people. i just don't really trust people easily. in fact, i trust a scant few. and even then, there's only one person i completely, fully trust. lauren has just as much to lose as i do, but that's not why i trust her. we're completely honest with each other, and always have been. but that's not why i trust her. why do i trust her? i don't know. i just do. i guess it's because she's always loved me as a friend, and now we're so much more. i would die for any of my close friends, but especially for her.

so make the arguments. "it'll never work. childish fancy. you've never met her. blahblahblah." i've heard it all before. what you don't understand is that i love her. and she loves me. what lauren and i have defies anything the naysayers can comprehend. and you know what? i pity those of you that don't know what we have. i pity you. you don't know what true love is like.

so, am i insecure? yes. am i introverted? yeah, mostly. am i a lot of things? i suppose.

the internet is what it is. accept it.

that's the best thing i've seen all day...

and yeah, the internet is a mixed bag of sorts. i'm more liable to rip my guts out on here for everyone to see the real me. maybe it's because i don't know you. or you don't know me. maybe it's because if you judge me i won't give a damn, because i can just shut you out with the click of a button. sure, it may be a fallacy, but that's how it is.

in person, i know i'm usually a lot (like, a lot) more shy and reserved. i'll make no bones about it. people scare me. not like, scare me, but i'm not comfortable around them. ever feel like everyone is ripping you up inside? maybe i'm just paranoid, but i can read volumes in a cold glare. i can see it in their eyes. they are hating me for being somebody they don't even know. not like i really care about their opinion. i just wish they'd screw off. body language wise, i walk around and avoid making eye contact, for the most part. i find myself often looking at the floor. i need time alone. i'm nervous when in large groups. presenting is dogma to me. the only presentation that went really well was last year in grade ten. for those of you who have read Vonnegut's Player Piano, well, maybe you'll know why. finnerty is someone i can relate to, in many ways. i did a monologue as finnerty. the depressed, burnt out drunkard with no direction. nothing left. dark humour. pushing on somehow.

that isn't to say that i don't want to be with people. i just don't really trust people easily. in fact, i trust a scant few. and even then, there's only one person i completely, fully trust. lauren has just as much to lose as i do, but that's not why i trust her. we're completely honest with each other, and always have been. but that's not why i trust her. why do i trust her? i don't know. i just do. i guess it's because she's always loved me as a friend, and now we're so much more. i would die for any of my close friends, but especially for her.

so make the arguments. "it'll never work. childish fancy. you've never met her. blahblahblah." i've heard it all before. what you don't understand is that i love her. and she loves me. what lauren and i have defies anything the naysayers can comprehend. and you know what? i pity those of you that don't know what we have. i pity you. you don't know what true love is like.

so, am i insecure? yes. am i introverted? yeah, mostly. am i a lot of things? i suppose.

the internet is what it is. accept it.

i am the exact same way - minus lauren

perhaps that explains the similar musical interests?

by the way, that's pretty cool. i used to think that nobody felt the way i did, then i realized that everyone is just faking happy, for the most part. hence why television (cough o.c. cough) is such bullshit. reality is not happy. reality is a royal fuck up. just being blunt here...