Ozzwald

What Got You There?

Ok, so what song got you into Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band at the very start? Were you blown away instantly, or was his music something that grew on you over time?

For me, I was living in Alberta in 1997-98 & I was watching Much one day....well actually, Much was on the TV....I was doing something in the house....not actually watching it....just listening. Anyways, this kick-ass guitar riff came on & 15 seconds into this song I was hooked....I ran to the TV, planted myself in front of it & waited for the artist & title to come up.....MATTHEW GOOD BAND - EVERYTHING IS AUTOMATIC. I was blown away instantly....What a ****in' song!! That day I went out & bought Underdogs off the strength of that song & loved it. I have been a Matthew Good freak ever since. Everything he has done has impacted me in the same way that "Everything is Automatic" did initially. That was a great day in my life......discovering Matthew Good. Awesome!!!!

First song I heard was "Load Me Up." Didn't like it very much. But then I got into a mood where I NEEDED to listen to some new music because Blink 182 simply wasn't cutting it for me anymore.

I downloaded (yes downloaded) a bunch of MGB tunes and thought they were cool enough, so I got the American Beautiful Midnight and didn't like it one bit.

I put it to the side for a while and then came back to it one weekend I was going on some trip with school. Listened to it on the way up and fell in love with it (including Load Me Up) and I haven't looked back since.

I don't really remember the exact song that turned me on to the music. I bought Audio of Being for the two singles and then put it away for a few months thinking that some of the songs were cool but most didn't really do it for me. Then I pulled it out again about 6 months later and it totally blew me away.

There was a time in my life when I only bought cds based on the singles that I heard/saw on Much.

This resulted in buying a lot of crap, so my new policy was that I had to hear 2 decent songs before I bought the album.

Heard Everything Is Automatic. Liked it alot. Held off.

Heard Indestructible. Liked it. Bought the album. Hardly listened to it.

Bought Beautiful Midnight for Hello Time Bomb.

It wasn't until a long train ride when I listened to the whole album that I fell in love with MGB.

i don't recall. but it's been over a year since my affinity with his stuff began. i always liked his stuff, and thought, hey, cool. then i think i ended up downloading a bunch of his stuff off k-lite, and i went, damn... this is amazing.

then i went out and bought a stack of music.

i still don't own aob or raygun, though.

The Apparitions Video on Much. It was 1998 and my cable company just gave us Much here in the US. I was in love with the channel for the pure reason that they played rock music I had never heard before. At any rate, I bought Underdogs because Apparitions was so good and I figured the rest of the cd had to be as well. One of the few times I bought a CD based off of one song in my life... What a great buy. I now own every MGB/MG CD. By far the best thing in music right now, hands down.

I actually just randomly bought Beautiful Midnight one day because me and my friend had read about MGB and the new album Beautiful Midnight from both a message board and his uncle. And me being the one with money, and him being the one with urgest to buy things, we combined forces to get the CD, listened to it on the way home from the mall, and since then some form of MG/MGB has been in the rotation of CDs I listen to. Still havn't seen him live as I live in the states, was going to go up to Canada for the tour this summer, but a family emergency put a stop to any such plans.

When I saw him in concert at Plaza of Nations in the summer of 03 (during the fireworks, if anyone was there and remembers). Got in for free because my friend's dad knows Pat. Great show. I hadn't heard anything off Avalanche yet, but I had the line"Can't fear fear if fear's the mindkiller" stuck in my head until I picked it up.

It was hearing "Symbolistic White Walls" on CFOX. And back in the caveman days of the internet, when I tried to do a search for "Matthew Good", the only websites that would come up were Dave Matthews. So after some searching at Sam the Record Man, I found a copy of "Last of the Ghetto Astronauts". Then, I was fortunate enough to see MGB play at the HMV in Coquitlam Centre a few years later and even at the Coquitlam Rec Centre. I couldn't believe that someone from my hometown could churn out decent rock.

I had heard Symbolistic White Walls when I was young (and only remembered it as the "bubble gum" song ;)) as well as Apparitions. But then one day when I was 13 and still thought MuchMusic was the shit, I caught the video for Hello Time Bomb. I saw it once, and I thought Matt was "super-cute" and I simply HAD to go to his concert. (Please remember I was thirteen here.) That was the beginning of an entirely new (and much appreciated) musical era. Haven't looked back.

PS-Still think Matt's a fox. B)

I used to be quite the opposite of sodamntired, in the sense that I only bought CDs that I knew I would like.

So when I heard all the singles on The Fox, from Seeds to Underdogs, I didn't buy any of the CDs despite really liking the songs. But when Beautiful Midnight rolled around, I was much more lax in my CD buying policies, and picked it up. I fell in love from there.

My brother was a fan at the time, and I was always seeing Load Me Up on tv. I loved it, but forced myself to leave it alone because it was "my brother's music". Then, In A World Called Catastrophe came out and once again, I fell in fan-dom. Then a bunch of time passed and my brother was getting ready to go to Holland to visit my grandma, and he was playing Weapon really loud, and I was freaking out because it was so good. I knew it was Matt Good, so as soon as my brother left, I went in his room and borrowed the CD. It was a burt disc, and it had Deep Six on it, and it was missing some of AValanche, so I went and bought the actual thing later on.

I went through this big painful phase where I was tired of listening to the Beatles, so I downloaded a shitload of Sum 41 and Blink-182 and Goldfinger tracks. Eventually they all got old, except for Anti-pop, which I'd heard on Muchmusic. So I downloaded Carmelina. It was good. Then I bought the CD. At the time I didn't own a lot of albums so I listened to AoB quite a bit and it grew on me.

It took me a while to warm up to BM and Underdogs, since they were before I got into Matt's stuff, but Avalanche made it a whole lot easier. Matt's music has always been something I've liked more and more over time. Even WLRRR, which I didn't enjoy as much at first, is really growing on me now.