HoboFactory

Flag Burning

we are all just stars on your burning flag

multiply your death, divide by sex

add up the violence and what do you get?

You and i have very similiar tastes in music, Saturnine.

I burn Flag burners.

Well, no, i couldn't give a shit.

okay, i'm going to try to make sense. Hopefully, someone will be able to follow my early morning ramble.

Nationalism is stupid. It's like inverted racism. Nationalists only love their country because they were born there. If the Nationalist was born in Serbia, say, then they would be a Serbian Nationalist.

Nationalism is bullshit, and burning flags gets you nowhere. There's nothing wrong with it, but what's the point? Intelligent people speak with words and not immature actions.

Why don't you go tell the people in Palestine that Nationalism is stupid. Or East Timor. Or Quebec. Or Tibet. Or Sri Lanka. Or Ache. Or Chiapas. Why don't you go and tell every person in Northern Ireland that what they're fighting for is stupid anyway, and they should just give it up. I'm sure you'll get a warm reception.

A nation is not a stupid thing. A Nation is not just a piece of land that you can put a house on and chill for a bit. Nations dictate the quality of life your family will lead, whether you'll be able to get a broken leg fixed, or whether you'll be able to go to school. It pervades every aspect of your life.

If tomorrow your house was broken into, it would be representatives of your stupid nation that you would call on your telephone (provided to you by your nation's wealth) to come and find who did it to you. If you don't believe me, go to a different nation, and see how well the same system operates there.

Edited by Kayriss

Why don't you go tell the people in Palestine that Nationalism is stupid. Or East Timor. Or Quebec. Or Tibet. Or Sri Lanka. Or Ache. Or Chiapas. Why don't you go and tell every person in Northern Ireland that what they're fighting for is stupid anyway, and they should just give it up. I'm sure you'll get a warm reception.

A nation is not a stupid thing. A Nation is not just a piece of land that you can put a house on and chill for a bit. Nations dictate the quality of life your family will lead, whether you'll be able to get a broken leg fixed, or whether you'll be able to go to school. It pervades every aspect of your life.

If tomorrow your house was broken into, it would be representatives of your stupid nation that you would call on your telephone (provided to you by your nation's wealth) to come and find who did it to you. If you don't believe me, go to a different nation, and see how well the same system operates there.

Jesus, cheer up, emo kid. I said Nationalism is stupid, not 'Nations.' You act like I’m attacking Canada.

You do know there is a difference between nationalism and patriotism?

I knew someone would misinterpret (possibly misread) my point.

The only reason Canadian (strictly for example,) nationalists love Canada, is because they were born here. It's like racism. Nationalism = Competition = Conflict. Is that how that saying goes? Love your country, but don’t be a douche about it. Because I love Canada doesn’t mean I’m going to refuse to buy American products or some bullshit like that.

And PS~ Northern Ireland? Yeah. Very stupid. Do the fighters even know why they’re fighting?

PPS~ It doesn’t matter how wealthy my nation is, I bought the phone.

Nations aren't the best choice either.

But Karyriss is so totally off on what we're talking about here.

Lets ask Tibetans what they think of Chinese Nationalism? Or East Timor of Indonesia nationalism? Or Quebecans of Canadain Nationalism?

Blind loyality to a certain state, region, city, nation, ect just because thats were you live is stupid. Plain and simple.

i think it's a thing of protest, but a stupid one.

it reminds me of the time some kids at my school wore all black and didn't talk for the whole day to protest on behalf of opressed children or something. it was stupid and ineffective because no one knew what they were doing it for.

PPS~ It doesn’t matter how wealthy my nation is, I bought the phone.

Ahh yes, but did YOU put the poles up? ;)

And i'm not way off here. I think that maybe I can see the point about nationalism being stupid just because of it was where you were born if you live in, say, Botswana, which is near the bottom of some quantifiable numbers. Not that I agree, but I can see where you are coming from. But I'm from a country thats on the top of many of those numbers, so why shouldn't I be nationalistic? And I'm not confusing that word with patriotism, I feel very strongly for a Canadian nationalism that is very much alive today, crunched between American encroachment and Quebec seperatism. Nationalism is an important force that affects the lived lives of billions, especially in this age of globalization that threatens to dissolve borders. I'd argue that nationalism has strengthened in the last 20 years all over the world.

And when I made my little rant about the different countries, I think I was thinking a little differently that your interpreting it. It would be pretty stupid to ask a tibetan about chinese nationalism, wouldn't it? I mean, did I not make it clear enough that you would ask an East Timorese person about Timorese nationalism, and not indonesian? Considering it was Timorese nationalism that brought them their nation? Obviously I know that if we ask some "Quebecans" (...) about Canadian nationalism, they'll be less than enthused.

Maybe I misread your meaning, or you misread mine, but you're going to have to be a little clearer if i've gone off track here. And the guy that made the crack about Northern Irish fighters not knowing what they're fighting for, that statement really only tells me that YOU don't know what they're fighting for.

Oh, and don't ever fucking call me a goddamn emo kid again, I'm neither emo nor a kid. Lets end the personal jabs there, and keep that kind of bullshit out of this otherwise decent discussion.

edit - Yes, that did turn out a lot more long-winded than I had expected.

Edited by Kayriss

Personally i think flag burning, in most cases, is wrong & shows a complete lack or respect for the people who live in that country. I wouldn't burn my own flag in protest, or the US flag or North Korean or any other flag if i disagreed with their policies.

The only exception would be that i would have is burning a Nazi flag during WWII or something. But i wouldn't burn the German flag because many Germans in WWII weren't Nazi's and didn't support them or commit terrible crimes.

Kayriss: I understood you, but I was making the point that nationalism can be good... for people of that nation (although it does lead them to blind loyaty), but it's destructive for others that don't consider themselves of that nation. It makes them put one nationality over another.

History has shown numerous times the horrid nature of nationalism.

Personally i think flag burning, in most cases, is wrong & shows a complete lack or respect for the people who live in that country. The only exception would be that i would have is burning a Nazi flag during WWII or something.

Either you're un-aware of a lot of American government actions, or your stance went right out the window.

burn... freedom of expression

"states should not exist" yah i agree, eventually there will be no flags or stupid borders or anything

or the world will be like it is depicted in Future Risk

anyone ever played that?

Edited by carv