It's difficult for me to choose. I think Frances The Mute has a lot of unnecesary filler (mainly before and after tracks) but both are stellar albums.

Just like to add something, I used to love loove these two cds but kinda stopped listening to it because I first got SICK of Sparta (yes, I know they were the BAD half of atdi) but then I became extremely annoyed of ATDI. ATDI's first two cds plain out fucking suck--Relationship of Command was one of my favourite albums in the past but it got tiresome after the while and the vocals are pretty much emo shit to me these days. I remember when I used to think that Invalid Litter Dept was a brilliant song--ha, no chance these days.

In all, I'm scared to put the two Mars Volta cds on again because I'm afraid that I'll might not love them anymore.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

To me, De-Loused In The Comatorium is still more enjoyable.

I actually bought Frances the Mute first after previewing on a whim (cover art caught my eye) in HMV. I scanned through the songs and was attracted first by the loose similarity to Led Zeppelin. Later on I was quite confused (trying to figure out the tracks especially), and finally impressed.

There is a lot of filler in Frances the Mute. I read they left the title track out (but left the lyrics intact inside the cover) because they didn't have enough space left, but if they had cut down on the non-music, it may have fit. I usually skip through most of it to get to the songs.

On a whole, a lot of the songs are actually better-written than on DLITC (love L'Via L'Viaquez & Cygnus/Cassandra Geminni VIII), but the entire Cassandra Geminni just draws out far too long. I find myself skipping through passages every single time.

This and the fact that DLITC has Televators make me like and listen to their debut more.

I thought the new cd was only ok at first, but it has grown on me very much.

The first and last track are only ok, but every track in between are brilliant. Asilos Magdelena is a sort of new approach to a song from the band; it proves that they have talent above just loads of crazy noises (which some people claim).