Kayriss

Canada Marijuana Laws

What should Canada's Action be on Marijuana Law Reform?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What should Canada's Action be on Marijuana Law Reform?

• Decriminalization/Grow-Op Crackdown
    • Full Legalization
    • Tougher Laws on all Marijuana Offences
    • Change Nothing

Driving too slow is dangerous too. It slows your reaction time too. You can try all you want but you're never going to get me to change my mind on this. I don't even think people should ralk on cell phones while they drive. Too many people take it driving too lightly and that's why there are so many accidents.

And maybe you're right, maybe the people who sell pot aren't the worst, or as bad as people selling crack, but that's where I draw the line. It's my choice.

I want somebody to provide me with their prediction of what would happen if marijuana were legalized and all funds currently being spent enforcing marijuana laws, including prison sentences, were instead used to create social programs to reduce poverty and unemployment.

Fact: Criminalizing something that there is a large market for does not work. It has never worked, and it will never work. What happens is that someone figures out that they can make money by delivering the product in question, and that's usually going to be organized crime (there's nothing organized crime loves more than an illegal substance that there's a market for). And the funny thing is that if you bust a large amount of dealers, that only lowers the supply, which encourages other dealers in the area to raise their prices - which encourages new dealers to enter the market. Moreover, it's just a huge gift to organized crime. If marijuana were legal they couldn't make money from it. This is why alcohol prohibition was repealed. It doesn't work and it's dangerous.

Edited by Bizud

How does driving slow slow down your reaction times? It's only going to piss off the people behind you.

Frankly, I see enough idiotic drivers out on the road today (case in point, I see so many people driving with one hand on the wheel... at the bottom of the wheel, instead of two hands at the sides, the way god meant it to be), and while pot can have an effect of increasing concentration, I'd be afraid to see a lot of the potheads I saw in school doping up in class out on the road.

*pictures scene from Cheech and Chong*

Hey, man, how's my driving?

How does driving slow slow down your reaction times? It's only going to piss off the people behind you.

Frankly, I see enough idiotic drivers out on the road today (case in point, I see so many people driving with one hand on the wheel... at the bottom of the wheel, instead of two hands at the sides, the way god meant it to be), and while pot can have an effect of increasing concentration, I'd be afraid to see a lot of the potheads I saw in school doping up in class out on the road.

ha

cheech and chong isn't a very good example

;)

I meant that the pot slows down your reaction time, not driving slow.

And you're totally right, there are enough stupid drivers on the road just normaly, so adding pot to the mix is extra stupid.

I think if we can legalize it without pissing off our neighbours, keep it controlled like alcohol and cigarettes, and have large penalties for offenses, then our country could benefit from it.

I think that's still a ways off, but with all the discussions about it, hopefully the country is on the right track.

Then all you americans can sit down there all jealous while we get high with our married gay friends. HA!

No one who can compares cannabis to alcohol has done a lick of research. The only similarity is that they impair judgement and alter state. Well no shit.

i'm not saying pot & alcohol does the same or is the same, but i think it can be dangerous at times when people are high on pot and driving.

It should be regulated similar to how drinking-and-driving is regulated. Maybe there should be some blood-pot level testing or something (if thats even possible LOL) like there is blood-alcohol testing. I'm quite certain there are no laws that punish a person for driving high (high enough to impair judgement etc.) other than just the legal ramifications of getting caught with pot.

I don't want a drunk driving beside me, and i don't someone high on pot driving beside me.

Also, i totally believe that pot usage would rise if legalized. I really have no doubt. Its not like its going to decrease. Pot would be much more accessible and would become more socially acceptable.

The problem is, pot doesn't pick the person it comes in contact with, and the person chooses pot.

Pot makes you under estimate your abilities to do things. If you are extremely high, you probably would know that their is no chance you could drive. Thing’s occur that you would never expect to happen. If you think being high is like being drunk, you’d be very surprised. Reality is very warped if you are extremely high, nothing makes sense and all in reality. There are millions of thoughts going through you’re head and you feel as though you have figured out the meaning of life. Reality is no longer your only perspective of life. As long as you are in a good environment, you can control the paranoia that comes along with weed. If you are in a room with people you don’t know, you might get freaked out and think they are some murderer.

I have a feeling if someone got into a car while high, they’d be way too paranoid to drive. They would know if they could do it or not. If you’re not some dumb ass.

It’s best just to sit somewhere comfortable and let the thoughts flow. Make sure you have good food around too. ;)

I would encourage any of you who haven’t smoked pot to try it but know your facts first and a good supplier. Leave the rest of the drugs alone, even alcohol.

Ask a hippie.

be_hippie.jpg

Of course there are laws against driving while under the influence of all drugs.

It's called driving while impaired.

EDIT: and you have no proof for your claim that pot use will increase if legalized. I've stated before than in Holland, a country where pot is legal, the pot smoking rates are lower than in North America. Also, while under prohibition, the rate of drinking and alcoholism was higher than without prohibition. Your claim goes against all evidence.

To be fair, I think that pot use would temporarily spike from people curious to try it out, but would soon decline.

Edited by ecnarf

My stupid friend drove high once of twice. One time he almost drove off the road because he got so involoved in the radio.

Another time he did drive off the road, down a cliff. He destroyed his car, almost killed himself, and the passenger almost lost her arm. Speed and darkness may have played more of a factor, but the point is that he was still a little high and misjudged everything. So don't try to defend driving high to me. (This isn't directed at the above posts, but rather those trying to say that driving high is okay.)

If you're going to smoke pot, sit on a comfy chair, grabs some snack and water and put on "A Bug's Life". Seriously, those little ants look so cool.

My stupid friend drove high once of twice. One time he almost drove off the road because he got so involoved in the radio.

Another time he did drive off the road, down a cliff. He destroyed his car, almost killed himself, and the passenger almost lost her arm. Speed and darkness may have played more of a factor, but the point is that he was still a little high and misjudged everything. So don't try to defend driving high to me. (This isn't directed at the above posts, but rather those trying to say that driving high is okay.)

If you're going to smoke pot, sit on a comfy chair, grabs some snack and water and put on "A Bug's Life". Seriously, those little ants look so cool.

that didn't happen because your friend was high, that happened because your friend was an idiot.

god bless him, though.

I'm glad you said "was" an idiot. He learned from it and it was enough to scare him away from pot forever.

And yeah, I think it is a minor problem now, but it's still something that should be thought about. Especially if people are going to defend driving high. That may be the bigger problem.

Sorry, mrs jesus, but I'm just going to have to strongly disagree with you on this issue.

There's a very simple test to determine whether driving under the influence of marijuana would see an increase if the laws were changed; ask if the Netherlands has seen a noteable increase. Since it hasn't, the argument has no weight.

EDIT: and you have no proof for your claim that pot use will increase if legalized.  I've stated before than in Holland, a country where pot is legal, the pot smoking rates are lower than in North America.  Also, while under prohibition, the rate of drinking and alcoholism was higher than without prohibition.  Your claim goes against all evidence.

To be fair, I think that pot use would temporarily spike from people curious to try it out, but would soon decline.

Well, check out this page: http://www.druglibrary.org/prohibitionresults.htm

Lots of different evidence here from the days of prohibition. I can't really find if prohibition increased or decreased alcohol consumption. But it shows that the average age of kids first using alcohol lowered during prohibition, so does that mean if pot is legalized the average age of 1st-time pot-smokers would rise?

Also, about Holland, how does pot-use in Holland compare to other closely neighbouring countries where pot is illegal? comparing to North America is difficult because they 2 much seperate areas/societies.

I dunno. How about we just criminalize alcohol and legalize pot. Pot seems to be much safer, though i don't use either.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

Pot seems to be much safer, though i don't use either.

Well, it doesn't make you vomit if you do a large amount. Unless you are smoking some bud that's covered in WD-40.

But I don't think I could say that it was safer then alcohol. It’s hard to say really since it’s hard to find the real facts about it. Smoking it isn’t a really good idea. There are safer ways to try Marijuana.

THC impairs your short term memory, that’s for sure. But that’s if you are a regular user of it. I know that from my own experiences with it. I’m not sure if it affects you for the rest of your life if you stop taking it. But I mean whatever I forgot, probably wasn't too important.

Am I the only user of pot here? Any stoners out there? HELLO?!

why do you think it isn't safer than alcohol?

of course smoking anything is bad for your lungs, but drinking destroys your liver, and no one has ever died from smoking pot.. but plenty of people have died from alcohol.

and i don't smoke pot anymore, although i did everyday for 10 years or so..

why do you think it isn't safer than alcohol?

of course smoking anything is bad for your lungs, but drinking destroys your liver, and no one has ever died from smoking pot.. but plenty of people have died from alcohol.

and i don't smoke pot anymore, although i did everyday for 10 years or so..

Well smoking it would damage your lungs.

That's true, I don't think there is any record of someone dieing from pot. Unless you had some really bad heart condition.

Yeah a lot of other medicine is way more toxic. Some of the drugs I was put on for my condition did worse to me then pot could ever do.

That's quite a few years,mrs jesus.