Moonlight_Graham

This Is The Wost Time In Music Ever!

Since around the time Rock n' Roll was invented, right now, at this very moment, is the worst time for music.

It just sucks ass. Pop music is all horrible hip-hop and R&B Beyonce & Usher & Linsey Lohan crap. Even those who like pop garbage have their idols like Backstreet Boys, N'Synch, & Britney Spears in a lull.

Now what about rock music? Wait, there IS no rock music anymore! Well, its almost non-existent at least. You've got a few old stand-bys like Red Hot Chilli Peppers & U2 that still are good, but great bands like AC/DC, Metallica, & REM etc. are past their prime.

And how many good rock bands have sprung up in the past 5 years or so? Sum 41, maybe the White Stripes & The Strokes etc. And you've got Linkin Park & Good Charlotte if you like that stuff (meh). And anytime a good band pops up, music companies flood the airwaves w/ 5 more clones that sound exactly like them (remember Knickleback & clones?).

Music also has some good alternative acts like Radiohead & Bjork, but they've been around for many years.

My point: Almost all the good musical acts now were still around 5 years ago, and were just as good or better than they are now. Barely any good music is popping up, and you can hardly find any good music on MuchMusic/radio. This has been the trend for many years. Music is so bad that when i'm downloading MP3's, i have to go find bands/acts from the 60's/70's/80's etc to find any good music i haven't heard before.

MUSIC SUCKS. DAMN YOU RECORD COMPANIES!

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

i agree with uncle jam. once you start digging for good music and exploring genres and stuff like that, good music is always somewhere to be found. the fact is, the quality of music hasn't changed at all. our music is just like the previous generations... there are good and bad aspects to it all...there are fads and there are certain things that endure the test of time.

Right now, i'd recommend that you listen to The Decemberists, foo. Download "The Bachelor and The Bride" first.

I felt like you a bit ago, but them i found My Chemical Romance, As I Lay Dying and The Decemberists, and Dimmu Borgir. I've been listening to a lot of Tori Amos lately too.

And how many good rock bands have sprung up in the past 5 years or so?  Sum 41, maybe the White Stripes & The Strokes etc.

you think sum 41 is a good rock band?

They are a good band, all their albums are pretty different from each other even.

Sum 41, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance...they're all the same whiny punk/pop rock.

You can find good music if you look hard enough, it worked for me last year.

I discovered: Wilco, The Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Muse, The Strokes, The Black Keys...plus others.

And how many good rock bands have sprung up in the past 5 years or so?  Sum 41, maybe the White Stripes & The Strokes etc.

you think sum 41 is a good rock band?

They are a good band, all their albums are pretty different from each other even.

i'll take your word for it.

There is still good music being made, you just have to look. That said, I completely agree that this is a stagnant time for music. I have taken solace in the Beatles, who can never really let me down.

The problem now is that, unlike the Beatles' era, the artists that are the best at what they do and the artists who are the most popular are not the same artists.

Sum 41, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance...they're all the same whiny punk/pop rock.

I discovered: Wilco, The Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Muse, The Strokes, The Black Keys...plus others.

That's why "Sum 41"'s last album was a "Metallica"ish album, and the one before it was an 80s metal album.

moonlight..

I feel the same way as you for the fact that i don't like much of the new music on radio/tv either. The talent or quality of the music isn't the problem. The problem is your taste in music...you don't like what's new because it doesn't "hit" your taste in music.

Your getting old maybe, i dont' know your age though.

I'm rediscovering some wicked bands like Blind Melon, Meat Puppets, Rush, alice in chains etc...not as far back as the 60's yet. That'll be in a few years I imagine.

Just like your parents probly dont' like your style in music, you don't like the New Generations' music.

Now get used to it, it'll only get worse.

anyone who listens to 1021 in toronto im sure can agree with me thats its a good station. Better than any new rock station in the states by FAR

but yea i agree with sedated, over the past 2-3 years ive rediscovered and listened more to older stuff be it 60's-70's and early mid 90's.

Just look harder. Read magazines like Uncut and Magnet. I've discovered some great bands out of them such as The Shins, Wilco, Interpol, Flaming Sideburns, The Shazam, Richmond Fontaine, and The Willard Grant Conspiracy.

Epitonic.com is an excellent place to go for free (legal) downloads of independent artists.

anyone who listens to 1021 in toronto im sure can agree with me thats its a good station. Better than any new rock station in the states by FAR

i listenned to it in highschool and its good if you want to hear the same song over and over and over and over and over and over.

alan cross is the only good thing about that station.

also, the inside edge stuff can be good. but notice how that has nothing to do with their choice in music.

and i doubt that 102.1 is better than any rock station in the states. i really, really doubt that.

That's why "Sum 41"'s last album was a "Metallica"ish album, and the one before it was an 80s metal album.

80's metal?

omg must hear.

but so did fifty million other trendy, emo college art students.

i hear just as much about those bands as i do about good charlotte and 50 cent

i listenned to it in highschool and its good if you want to hear the same song over and over and over and over and over and over.

alan cross is the only good thing about that station.

also, the inside edge stuff can be good. but notice how that has nothing to do with their choice in music.

and i doubt that 102.1 is better than any rock station in the states. i really, really doubt that.

well its better than any other new rock station ive heard in any city. true they do play some songs over and over a boulevard of broken dreams....

i guess im just sheltered