Moonlight_Graham

This Is The Wost Time In Music Ever!

50) Morrissey - You Are the Quarry

Good to see someone still enjoys Morrisey. I'd been thinking i was the only one left, lol.

Sum 41, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance...they're all the same whiny punk/pop rock.

You can find good music if you look hard enough, it worked for me last year.

I discovered: Wilco, The Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Muse, The Strokes, The Black Keys...plus others.

I do love that you complain Sum 41, Good Charlotte, MCR all sound the same, and then list Wilco, The Strokes and The Black Keys. Not saying that they're bad, they're good at what the do, but they're all a whole lot alike.

And you have to be beyond retarded to say MCR are whiny pop-punk. Do realize that the album is a concept album, about a man being placed in hell and making a deal with the devil? I don't understand how you can say they're anything like Simple Plan, or Good Charlotte, who only write songs that can connect with 14 year-old weiners who call themselves missunderstood?

S41 doesn't sound like GC, who doesn't sound like SP, who doesn't sound like MCR.

I apologize for the ramble, and would recommend that y'all go find a band called Tiger Army ;)

Every decade in music since the 60's has been more or less inferior to the one that preceded it, and this one is proving to be no exception.  That said, there's still more than enough great music to go around.  If I can make a list of my favourite 50 albums from last year, and love them all, I'm sure you can find at least 10 you'll like.

well, get started, sweets.

Sure,

50) Morrissey - You Are the Quarry

49) David Byrne - Grown Backwards

48) DJ Signify - Sleep No More

47) Cansecos - Cansecos

46) Plastic Constellations - Mazatlan

45) Clinic - Winchester Cathedral

44) Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

43) Air - Talkie Walkie

42) The Delgados - Universal Audio

41) Califone - Heron King Blues

40) Tom Waits - Real Gone

39) Junior Boys - Last Exit

38) Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo

37) The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives

36) Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co.

35) Pinback - Summer in Abaddon

34) Blood Brothers - Crimes

33) Patrick Wolf - Lycanthropy

32) Bjork - Medulla

31) The Foreign Exchange - Connected

30) AC Newman - The Slow Wonder

29) Mission of Burma - OnOffOn

28) Ratatat - Ratatat

27) Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands

26) Dizzee Rascal - Showtime

25) Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

24) Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

23) TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes

22) Espers - Espers

21) Apostle of Hustle - Folkloric Feel

20) Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets

19) Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans

18) Interpol - Antics

17) McLusky - The Difference Between You and Me Is I'm Not On Fire

16) Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

15) Destroyer - Your Blues

14) The Futureheads - The Futureheads

13) Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

12) Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

11) The Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

10) Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

9) Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

8) The GO! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

7) Les Savy Fav - Inches

6) Brian Wilson - SMiLE

5) Dungen - Ta Det Lungt

4) The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

3) Madvillain - Madvillainy

2) Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

1) The Arcade Fire - Funeral

thats one sexy list of albums.

as for yu insober, just because you've made a concept album dosnt mean your not winey.

I unfortunatly had to see them perform 2 weekends ago while at work. there is something wrong with the state of music when those wanks and the Used can sell 8000 tickets.

Well...there is nearly half a billion Americans on the planet...you'd think a good percentage of them are mentally retarded.

And tell me:

HOW THE HELL ARE WILCO, THE STROKES AND BLACK KEYS ALIKE?

Honestly?

Other than the fact that they're all American.

Edited by BritSavant

Oh, sorry. I get the Sour Keys and the Black Keys. I didn't realize until i read it again. BK's 'Thickfreakness' was on punkorama 8. Amazing song.

As for Wilco and the Strokes, and bands of the whole new alternative, they're all good at what they do, but they don't really offer up anything new. They just put the new spin on music. it doesn't mean they're bad, it's just they're rehashing the whole 'abstract' deal with a topic. Like different shades of a colour.

I use abstract for the lack of a better word. i do hope that you understand what i'm getting at.

Oh, sorry. I get the Sour Keys and the Black Keys. I didn't realize until i read it again. BK's 'Thickfreakness' was on punkorama 8. Amazing song.

As for Wilco and the Strokes, and bands of the whole new alternative, they're all good at what they do, but they don't really offer up anything new. They just put the new spin on music. it doesn't mean they're bad, it's just they're rehashing the whole 'abstract' deal with a topic. Like different shades of a colour.

I use abstract for the lack of a better word. i do hope that you understand what i'm getting at.

I don't think that Wilco and the Strokes are the best examples to enhance your point. In fact, why Wilco are even included in there is beyond me. Hell, the band was an off-shoot of Uncle Tupelo, who practically began the whole No Depression Alt Country scene. They've been around for over 10 years and their music has continually evolved ever since A.M was released., and Tweedy's been writing songs since way before that. To bundle Wilco in with the new "alternative" scene is cack-handed and lazy.

As for the Strokes, I don't get why people sometimes seem adverse to them. It seems silly; they kick-start a trend and people seem to bundle them in with the lesser bands. Is this It is a landmark record, and it's also a very good one.

Sure, their influences are pretty obvious...so fucking what?

Being original involves more than just the general sound, it's the whole shape of the music; how it's produced, the structure, the emotion impact, the groove. The Beatles owed a debt to Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly etc etc...that doesn't stop them from being the most influential band of all time.

Edited by BritSavant