Moonlight_Graham

Canada's Legal Age Of Sexual Consent Is 14 !

The part i don't like about the law is that a 40 year-old man can legally have sex with a 14-year old. I don't really care if a 14 year old has sex with another 14 year old. I just think its morally wrong to allow an adult to have sex with a 14 year old.

That's not the case.

If that were to happen, it's called statutory rape. Under no circumstances is a 40 year old having sex with a 14 year old legal.

No, not at all.

Statutory rape doesn't actually mean rape, in the sense that the victim has been physically forced into sex, it means that the younger person isn't mentally capable of making their own decision about having sex with the other person - not to mention that there's hardly a 14 year old alive that would actually want to have sex with someone that's 40, so if those two people are caught having sex, there's not way it could be consensual. The "position of trust" thing is also a factor, for example, teachers having sex with their students is also illegal. But that means that, say, an 18 year old grade 12 student can't have sex with their 23 year old teacher, even though it would probably be legal if they met in a bar.

I find this country we live in funny cuz hell I thought by this time of the year we'd be discussing missle defence, not growing dope, men kissing and kids havin sex....oh well

Then start a missle defence thread.

I meant the canadian gov't in general...usually when I read the paper this is all they report on the gov't.

I cant really imagine a missle defence thread on this board...

http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/index....topic=3988&st=0

It's not a very good thread but talk of missle defence started. Why don't you think we'd talk about it here? And in terms of the government talking about missle defence, there was talk of it leading up to the rejection, and then talk after the rejection. I didn't feel there was a lack of governement interest at all.

And ecnarf, oh SNAP!

"But there's already a thread about this!" Yeah, but I happened to be the last person to post in it, and the board rules are gay and won't let me edit that post or post again. And I just (actually like two weeks ago, I just kept forgetting until now) realized something completely obvious that was apparently missed by at least one person and is important enough to be repeated for clarity - So, new thread it is! manic.gif

Ecnarf posted:

If that were to happen, it's called statutory rape. Under no circumstances is a 40 year old having sex with a 14 year old legal.

and

[statutory rape] means that the younger person isn't mentally capable of making their own decision about having sex with the other person - not to mention that there's hardly a 14 year old alive that would actually want to have sex with someone that's 40, so if those two people are caught having sex, there's not way it could be consensual. The "position of trust" thing is also a factor, for example, teachers having sex with their students is also illegal. But that means that, say, an 18 year old grade 12 student can't have sex with their 23 year old teacher, even though it would probably be legal if they met in a bar.

That's incorrect; if you'd said 17 year old grade 12 student you'd be right, but not 18. Also, a 40-year old can have sex with a 14-year old, issues of trust/dependency notwithstanding; the age of consent for non-anal sexual activity, issues of trust/dependency notwithstanding is 14, unless the older person involved is sixteen or younger, in which case the age of consent is two years younger than the age of the older partner and is never less than 12. So 40 and 15 is fine, 40 and 14 is fine, 40 and 13 is no good, but 15 and 13 is fine; 14 and 12 is fine, but 13 and 11, or 15 and 12, are no good, etc. The relevant law is mentioned by ToadMan exactly two posts above that first one of yours I quoted.

The Criminal Code does not now  criminalize consensual sexual activity with or between persons 14 or over, unless it takes  place in a relationship of trust or dependency, in which case sexual activity with persons  over 14 but under 18 can constitute an offence, notwithstanding their consent. Even  consensual activity with those under 14 but over 12 may not be an offence if the accused  is under 16 and less than two years older than the complainant. The exception, of course,  is anal intercourse, to which unmarried persons under 18 cannot legally consent, although  both the Ontario Court of Appeal(3) and the Quebec  Court of Appeal(4) have struck down the relevant  section of the Criminal Code.

I'll merge this up this the existing thread... creative solution though. I'll talk to Anton... maybe we can work out a "time out" on the no replying when your the last poster... the rule is only in effect to stop spamming, not to stop legitimate posting.

Peace

Thanks for the merge.

My board, which has no mods, has seen a spamming attempt of the type you're describing exactly one time. This board has so many mods that in the unlikely event this spamming did occur, it would very easily be locked almost right away. The rule is hardly necessary, and there are many cases where it's better to post again than to edit your last one - for instance, when the post being edited is several days old, just editing it won't tell anyone that new information has been added to the post, so most people won't check the thread. A new post in a thread brings with it a "Hey, look here!"

Edited by Bizud