.jeffrey.

Requiem for a Dream

Absolutly completly a great movie in all respects. The music was great because it completly reflected the movie's atmosphere. The only scary part of the movie was the jumping and talking hallucingenic fridge. Although I kinda wish someone would invent one....

Large rant coming up, just to warn you all.

This movie creeps me out, but let me explain why.

I've always wanted to see it, but have never gotten around to it. My fiance's friend even borrowed him her copy to watch, but we never had time to watch it.

One night, I'm at his place, I fall asleep early in bed. I wake up, it's late, the TV is on, I hear music, it's right at the end montage of the movie. I just watch it over his shoulder. I see the guy getting rushed to emergency, I see the mother getting shock therapy, etc.

The movie ends, he drives me home so I can go back to sleep.

I have a nightmare about the shock therapy, this is due to the fact my grandmother went through shock treatment herself, and my mom always talks about how horrible it was and that she was never the same person after it was done to her.

I felt incredible sorrow for those 2 women who visited the mother in the movie, because for the first time, it seemed real. I could picture my Mom visiting Nana in the mental hospital, seeing her mother, but it's not the same person, part of her is gone, and it just makes me want to cry.

Sometimes I think watching the whole movie from the beginning will make this feeling go away, but I just can't bring myself to rewatch that scene again.

Rant over.

The movie is designed to disturbing. I've seen it at least 10 times and it still leaves me unsettled. If you don't think you can watch it, then don't. It's not an easy movie to see, even for someone who's life shares nothing with the lives of the movie.

I watched it twice and it's even more powerful the second time. And it has the best soundtrack ever.

Agreed. The opening score is amazing.

The great thing about that movie was the way the story was written. Unlike most movies, there's no reflection for the characters to look at and understand the gravity of the situation. Normally there would be some kind of dialogue between charcters pointing out the hopelessness of their situations (e.g- one chatacter confronting the other about their drug addiction or someone deing and effecting the other characters they were close to, etc.) but here, there's nothing. The story just plays through and then at the end everyone is fucked.

And it's that lack lacking element that makes the movie so powerful. It's not sugar coated; it's exactly how things probably are for most people under similar circumstances.

If I ever have kids I'll probably end up making them watch the movie in hopes of scaring them shitless of trying drugs.

Edited by daniel_v

I watched it a few weeks ago, and well, i thought it was stupid. i felt sorry for the mother, cause she was lonely and needed something to look forward to, instead of death. but the rest of the cast got what was coming with them. At least with trainspotting, it showed them trying to kick the habbit. With Requiem for a Dream, all the did sell drugs, and do "stuff" for drugs.

I watched it a few weeks ago, and well, i thought it was stupid. i felt sorry for the mother, cause she was lonely and needed something to look forward to, instead of death. but the rest of the cast got what was coming with them. At least with trainspotting, it showed them trying to kick the habbit. With Requiem for a Dream, all the did sell drugs, and do "stuff" for drugs.

I think that was the point.

The sadness of it all, in how they ruined their lives for nothing really.

Trainspotting was a different kind of movie.

With Requiem I think the whole idea was to show the downside, and show that no matter what the intentions, and no matter what is said... some people just don't kick the habits and get better, get off it. Some people remian fucked up. Some people die. Some people just never stop.

I think it was a beautiful movie and a sad movie.

One of my favourites for sure, but one that I need to be in the proper mood to watch.

It would have been so cool if they showed this movie for health class during the drug unit.

at my school they did...well, bits and pieces of it. we were up in the city auditorium (Performing Arts Centre in Prince Rupert) and all of a sudden they start showing it. and then it's the arm scene on this huge screen...yeah...pretty...

i actually haven't seen the whole movie. maybe one of these days i'll rent it.

This was a TERRIBLE movie. Hammers in this cliched point, very overdramatic, not at all realistic (last I heard--i've studied medicine--you cannot lose your arm from doing what he did), and the ending was ridiculous. A mental patient signing her own forms? Uh huh. Right.

I liked it until the last twenty minutes.

This was a TERRIBLE movie. Hammers in this cliched point, very overdramatic, not at all realistic (last I heard--i've studied medicine--you cannot lose your arm from doing what he did), and the ending was ridiculous. A mental patient signing her own forms? Uh huh. Right.

I liked it until the last twenty minutes.

Wait, you've studied medicine and you some how missed the part where infection can be easily obtained from continuously used/open wounds?