Is music getting better or is it just getting easier to find the good music?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is music getting better or is it just getting easier to find the good music?

• Music is getting better
    • It's easier to find the good music

I was just thinking about comments made that some of the music produced in the last few years is the best it has been for a while. While that may be true, I think it's equally true that people may think that because of tools such as the internet make it easier to discover the really talented artists. So, what is it? Is the good music getting better or is it just easier to find the good music?

as i said before, music is music. the good comes with the bad. one year is never better than another.

i think the chances for discovering good music now are a lot higher, especially since mp3 blogs are surging in their popularity.

also the chances for being popular but remaining independent and keeping your integrity are seemingly higher as well. i'm not sure if that's true or not though.

Well, what defines outstanding? The Beatles or Led Zeppelin? If that's the case, then I'd agree with you. But there are many amazing artists out there today who probably could hold their own in many aspects (ie. lyrically, musicianship, vocals, originality etc.) with the musical giants of the past.

the afformentionned "beatles or led zeppelin" are outstanding bands when it comes to the criteria they meet in regards to what a great rock band is. however, is it fair to compare today's bands with them, especially when we're entirely aware of the fact that music is constantly changing (tastes, styles, sounds). what we listen to hardly resembles what those bands sound like, even the so-called "rock" bands.

what i'm trying to say is, that if you constantly compare today's bands with bands from the past, you're going to come up dissapointed. no matter what, we tend to romanticize the past. people are always saying things like "no one these days is good as led zeppelin was", because they continue looking for an aesthetic that no longer exists.

hense, our (meaning pop culture's) self-destructive infatuation with "retro".

what i'm trying to say is, that if you constantly compare today's bands with bands from the past, you're going to come up dissapointed. no matter what, we tend to romanticize the past. people are always saying things like "no one these days is good as led zeppelin was", because they continue looking for an aesthetic that no longer exists.

;)

I agree completely. While there are bands out there that try to recall that period, comparing Led Zeppelin to, say, Nickelback is ultimately fruitless. The most general I can get is that Led Zeppelin appeals to me way more than Nickelback.

Is there anything that appeals to you less than Nickelback? I thought not.

I once saw an autistic kid take one Nickelback cd out of his player and put another Nickelback cd in. That was a great day. I also stopped by Mac's and got a slushie.

QUOTE]I once saw an autistic kid take one Nickelback cd out of his player and put another Nickelback cd in. That was a great day.

probly the funniest thing i've read on the bored so far!!!

anyway, i'm also into the older shit right now, i'm scared to buy anything relatively new.

I'll keep buying STP, blind melon and alice in chains cd's, that way i'm guaranteed to not be dissapointed. ya hear?

it seems to me that good music used to be more "in your face" so to speak. ie. 93-98-ish mainstream. but to say there isnt good music out there would be ignorant. theres piles of great bands out there, you just have to put in a little effort.

i still find myself buying cds from many years ago as opposed to new releases. i bought a cd today that is 10 years old.

I do it too... pretty often... i have found myself getting oddies from Depeche Mode which are around 15 years old in the last weeks (pretty cheap, of course) and I keep on listening to a lot of music from the 80's and 90's more than the last bands (except from some, it's true)

don't know, i listen to many recent and current bands but for some reason I get tired of them pretty soon and easily and in the end I always finish up listening to old stuff... guess it means something about the quality of current music...