mgb7m3

buffalo seven

yeah i know what buffalo seven is about... im new here so im happy to answer what i can for you! ;)

ok..back in the days when the matthew good band were just about ready to split up, matt had a tiny, tiny, apartment. one day while he was looking through some old stuff, he came across a picture. i think it was of indians or cowboys..sorry, im not 100% on the details.anyways, it was titled 'buffalo seven'. he really liked it, so he pinned it up on his wall. it was the last thing he saw when he fell asleep. since the band was in fact preparing to separate, there was a lot of stuff going on. matt found that the only time he ever had to think about things was when he was in bed. hence the lyrics in the chorus. so, buffalo seven was simply the title of the picture he found.

I have an alternate meaning to the song name Buffalo Seven, as the one mentioned above makes little sense. I believe the song name refers to the terrorist cell that was discovered in Buffalo (The Buffalo Six, and later the Buffalo Seven).

http://www.pakistan-facts.com/article.php?...6317&mode=print

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/04/08/terror.cell/

Well, Jeffrey, it's nice that you find my meaning to be untruthful. Thank you for stating that. But I know my Matt Good, and I know what Buffalo Seven means. I don't know if you are simply guessing, or where you have found your unreliable source, but I have gotten mine from listening to the world album premiere of White Light Rock and Roll Review, where Matthew Good himself explained the meanings of the songs.

Everone finds different meanings for different songs. Honesty to me it doesn't matter to me what it was written about, it's what it means to me. Honestly, both of your ideas sound like they fit. I'm sure Jeffery didn't mean to insult you. It's a discussion board, so we can all share our different ideas. That's the point.

Edited by sammyspade

yeah i agree with sammy in that every song means something different to everyone...as it should. and i'm not a huge 'delve into the meaning of a song' type guy...i was just wondering if buffalo seven was a term or definition that i was unaware of. thank you for the help...both of your ideas sound great.

The first thing I thought of when I first heard it was if there was a Buffalo Seven, like the Guildford Four or the West Memphis Three, but when I looked it up online I didn't find anything, so...But I had also heard the picture idea too, so...

Yikes! I didn't mean to take what Jeffrey said so personally...I get caught up in this kind of thing, where some one asks a question about something I feel strongly about, and I reply, only to have another person tell me that I am wrong when I know I am right!

I also feel that the personal meaning people find to songs are important..but, some one asked, so I told them. And I still feel slightly, slightly offended towards Jeffrey's ignorance on the subject. Even when one means no offence, it can easily have that meaning. And I think it's good that different ideas are being shared. But was it neccessary to say that my meaning made little sense? I think not.

And lastly, I know that the songs have different meanings for different people, but I was saying the intended meaning, which I thought was more correct that simple speculation.

Samantha Smith, age 14,

London Ontario.

hey, dont get mad at anybody... everybody can freely express his/her opinion here... hope nobody feels insulted or something like that ;)

both possibilities would be acceptable, why not? if MG actually said what the song meant to him and why he wrote it, maybe we should trust that opinion... and if not? there are other alternatives, right?

yeah eadorer, i remember hearing that about the picture on the wall when the band was in trouble... "no time to think, no time to breath, no time at all, just the buffalo seven" yeah it seems to fit, if he was really stressed out at the time...

in any case, is it not one of your favorite songs in this album, guys? ;) Because it is my third favorite one (after we're so heavy and little terror, of course)

and yes, those lyrics seem to fit with that idea of the pic and going thru a bad time in that period and all that... but since his lyrics are also so socially and politically commited, probably they contain other meanings...

well, we're so heavy, empty road, little terror, northamerican for life, blue skies over bad lands, then buffalo seven. Yeah, its relatively close ;)

back on earlier discussion, almost any poem by a good poet, you will understand the poem in the way that best suits you. Matt is a good poet

exactly, each song is like a poem and as most of the poems it may mean different things for different people... since we were not inside Matt's head when he was writing Buffalo seven, we don't really know the purpose or the original meaning of the song... unless he tells us what he means by the song ;)