wmarskell

New Band

Meegee, who, no offense to Rich, is about 10 times the bass player he'll ever be

That's a big statement to make, I strongly disagree. They have two different styles all together, so I feel it's like comparing apples and oranges. Plus, I feel Rich did a kickass job on the bass for White Light RNRR.

Meegee, who, no offense to Rich, is about 10 times the bass player he'll ever be

That's a big statement to make, I strongly disagree. They have two different styles all together, so I feel it's like comparing apples and oranges. Plus, I feel Rich did a kickass job on the bass for White Light RNRR.

they play bass, relax.. it's not like you'd be able to tell

they play bass, relax.. it's not like you'd be able to tell

Haha, I'm a bass player but that joke's in good taste, so I won't rant.

And I'll admit it, I'm one of those WLRRR haters, so he may have very well done a fantastic job on WLRRR and I wouldn't know, but in the earlier albums I've never been really impressed by much of anything that he's done. I've also seen him live plenty of times and I'll admit he occasionally pulled out some pretty cool little intervals, but I've only seen Meegee once and she impressed me more in one night than Rich has in his whole career. Another thing I forgot to mention in what she has that Rich doesn't is back-up vocals, I remember hearing Matt Good say they tried to use Jen for back-up vocals for While We Were Hunting Rabbits once, so maybe they can put her to use for that too.

As for the diffrent stylings, alot of Richs bass parts (again maybe not for WLRRR) seem to be mostly root notes, and that's hardly a style.

But then I could be completely wrong, like I said, I havn't heard WLRRR, and I've only seen Meegee once (and heard her on CDs), but as for now I'm going to stick with my opinion that Meegee's a better bass player.

Haha, I'm a bass player but that joke's in good taste, so I won't rant.

And I'll admit it, I'm one of those WLRRR haters, so he may have very well done a fantastic job on WLRRR and I wouldn't know, but in the earlier albums I've never been really impressed by much of anything that he's done. I've also seen him live plenty of times and I'll admit he occasionally pulled out some pretty cool little intervals, but I've only seen Meegee once and she impressed me more in one night than Rich has in his whole career. Another thing I forgot to mention in what she has that Rich doesn't is back-up vocals, I remember hearing Matt Good say they tried to use Jen for back-up vocals for While We Were Hunting Rabbits once, so maybe they can put her to use for that too.

As for the diffrent stylings, alot of Richs bass parts (again maybe not for WLRRR) seem to be mostly root notes, and that's hardly a style.

But then I could be completely wrong, like I said, I havn't heard WLRRR, and I've only seen Meegee once (and heard her on CDs), but as for now I'm going to stick with my opinion that Meegee's a better bass player.

Good points. I guess I just appreciate Rich for his style, the laid back "support the song" approach. Matt's music doesn't really lend itself to slap-funk bass lines or heavily distorted Geddy Lee riffs. Rich always plays in the pocket, supports the drums perfectly, and plays with a less is more approach, something that too many people easily overlook. Now, Meegee certainly has a cool style and approach, and I'm pretty excited to hear her take on some MG classics, but I think Rich deserves a little more respect. At the end of the day, I think Geoff Lloyd kicks both their asses.