5ilent Narcotic

Mgb Drug Scandal!

I heard somewhere that Ian was into drugs. But I don't want to start a big rumour here. I can't even remember where, but I seem to remember someone mentioning Ian offered them drugs once.

Maybe it was a story in one of the MG memories thread. It maybe happened at Bryan Adam's studio? Does that sound familiar to anyone? I don't feel like searching for it.

Well, it's obviously not Matt, since he doesn't wake up to druggies knocking on his door anymore. Not Rich, seeing as he was in the band after Matt went solo. Either Ian or Dave, and from the above post, I'm guessing Ian.

He's music isn't as good? Sure, the demo's he's released aren't that great. Free Download/Downloading Blues. But that sounds like a joke song to me, not like he was serious. I really like Agoraphobe though.

I thought Avalanche and WLRRR were amazing. Far better then Audio of Being. And 'Can't Get Shot in the Back' is purely amazing.

Edited by matrix

Avalanche was amazing and so is Can't get shot in the back but to me it still nothing compared to underdogs and beautiful midnight.

WLRR was a disapointment and everything he's done with "jackpillowhead" so far has be kinda crumby in my opinion. I dunno, mabye Im just up too late and am grumpy...

The only thing that bothered me about WLRRR was that the songs were far too short in playing time. One of the things I loved about Matt's songs was they went on for ever. I love 7 to 9 minute songs.

Giant? Advertising on Police Cars? While We Were Hunting Rabbits? Near Fantastica. I love those long songs. Othere than that, I thought the CD was great.

Edited by matrix

If we can stay away from the rumor mill, that would be great.

I do believe that Matt has commented in past that both Ian, and Dave enjoyed weed. To what extent is unknown, nor is whether any other drugs where involved.

Peace

I definatly agree with your first statement, the long songs with the atmospheric type sound to them (did that make sense?) are amazing.

I don't really understand the next part though...Giant and Advertising on police cars were both released by MGB and while were hunting rabbits and near fantastica were both on avalanche?

I guess we can count on every single rock band loving the drugs. Too bad, I try to have some respect for these people, and then you find this out.

And, what I meant was that on previous CD's prior to WLRRR the songs had longer playing times.

I believe the longest song on WLRRR is Blue Skies over Bad Lands.

I mean, all previous CD's, most of the songs were longer.

Edited by matrix

I always knew that someone in MGB was into drugs, I forget why though. I was also under the impression that is was just grass (not super bad in my opinion)

You have to admit though some of the greatest music (and art for that matter) was influenced by drugs. The Beatles? Pink Floyd? Jimmi Hendrix?

I think I have to quote Bill Hicks here.

"See I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favour, go home tonight and take all your albums and all your tapes and all your cds and burn them. Cuz you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that has enhanced your lives throughout the years? Real fucking high on drugs."

As far as MGB goes, Matt wrote most of the songs while not on drugs. Now, I know that Dave wrote alot of the music, and let me say, he could play a mean fucking guitar on drugs. If that was the case.

I remember a couple of cocaine references in the songs Apparations and Prime Time Dileverance. Somehow I can't see Dave or Ian doing coke but it's a possibility. As for the weed use in MGB, I don't really consider that a hard drug as long as its taken recreationally and not overused.

Ray Charles smoked some ganja, as well it should be noted that the famous trumpet player Louis Amrstrong was known to smoke weed daily.